Will moral vegans and vegetarians......

Zephyr

... eat cultured meats when they become commercially available?

I understand that some vegans and vegetarians dont eat meat for the percieved health benefits of a plant based diet, and some dont eat meat because, like my daughter at one time, did not like the taste and texture of meat, while others dont eat meat because of the whole animal cruelty aspect of eating animals.  

I just read an article where a company has been approved to sell and serve cultured meat -meat made in a lab from animal cells extracted without injuring the animal - to the public.  If this becomes publically available here, and you do not eat meat for moral reasons will you try it?

12 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

If this becomes publically available here, and you do not eat meat for moral reasons will you try it?

Sure.  But your question contains your own answers - some will, some won't, and it will certainly depend on their reasons for not eating meat or animal products.  If it is a "health" issue where "cultured pork" is equally unhealthy as "real pork", I doubt they will switch.  Also, if it is a "resource rationale" like comparing plant-based/centric diets to meat based diets, then the new process would have to show itself to be less resource intensive than the alternatives.  Likewise, on the far sides of the spectrum - where honey or eggs from ones own chickens are not eaten - then I'm guessing those folks will remain "pure".  For me, from a mostly animal cruelty standpoint, if you remove the animal, then the animal cruelty went with it.

If it is as good as regular bacon or pork, I'm all for it! 

• Heart 2

17 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I was strictly thinking of the "I dont eat animals because they deserve to live" group.  If that is your only reason for a PBD, will this balance it out.

That's my group.  I'd say no.  I don't believe food should be engineered or genetically modified.  I try to eat as much organic as I can.

If the meat is derived from human cells, is that cannibalism?

• Heart 2

43 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

That's my group.  I'd say no.  I don't believe food should be engineered or genetically modified.  I try to eat as much organic as I can.

If the meat is derived from human cells, is that cannibalism?

I'm not vegetarian..but like you, I'm highly suspicious of genetically engineered meat. Humans think we can overpower Nature...but it bites us in the back later on. One good cosmetic effect (takes like meat) doesn't guarantee side effects down the road.

I'm thinking of too much steroids to cattle a few decades back...which affected hormones of young girls which caused some to start to mature in certain parts of their body too early in life.  ie. start breast growth, etc. I mean under 9 yrs. old.

Ugh. 

15 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I am skeptical this stuff will be good, but I will try it when it becomes commercially available

Good from day one? No way.  Refined over years? Sure.  If you think of meat consumption and the various forms it takes, it is fairly easy to see the trajectory it will take as it is refined over the years.  The easiest place to start, once the process is in place for growing meat off the bone, is in the various "meat plus other stuff" places like hot dogs, sausages, meatballs, etc..  Anything where the fake-real meat can be added but not spotlighted.  They already do that pretty well with many meat substitutes, so I could see it coming along first.  Reaching the "final" stage - simulating/being a "filet mignon" or similar cut of beef - will be a challenge and likely a LEGAL challenge at some point :(  But it will get there (or be caught an passed by a better process).

14 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I'm not vegetarian..but like you, I'm highly suspicious of genetically engineered meat.

How are you sourcing your meat currently? I know your man's kid runs a deli/butcher site, but is that where you get your non-genetically engineered meat solely?

14 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

It doesn't seem to be your group - or at least fully.  Your group seems to be the "food should NOT be engineered or genetically modified" first, and maybe the animal cruelty bit second? Or maybe a combined "not cruel, not engineered, simply organic, so never gonna eat any meat"?

14 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm a science fiction fan. I don't think so.

You're not sold on a replicator serving up a nice five course meal in the Ten-Forward lounge concept?

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Good from day one? No way.  Refined over years? Sure.  If you think of meat consumption and the various forms it takes, it is fairly easy to see the trajectory it will take as it is refined over the years.  The easiest place to start, once the process is in place for growing meat off the bone, is in the various "meat plus other stuff" places like hot dogs, sausages, meatballs, etc..  Anything where the fake-real meat can be added but not spotlighted.  They already do that pretty well with many meat substitutes, so I could see it coming along first.  Reaching the "final" stage - simulating/being a "filet mignon" or similar cut of beef - will be a challenge and likely a LEGAL challenge at some point :(  But it will get there (or be caught an passed by a better process).

How are you sourcing your meat currently? I know your man's kid runs a deli/butcher site, but is that where you get your non-genetically engineered meat solely?

It doesn't seem to be your group - or at least fully.  Your group seems to be the "food should NOT be engineered or genetically modified" first, and maybe the animal cruelty bit second? Or maybe a combined "not cruel, not engineered, simply organic, so never gonna eat any meat"?

You're not sold on a replicator serving up a nice five course meal in the Ten-Forward lounge concept?

Just regular store. I only eat fistful of meat per meal...which is only 3-4 times per month. I've been eating this amount of meat for 15 yrs.

I used to have meat 5-6 times per wk.

My system is no longer accustomed to eating much meat every single day... I learned my lesson when in Spain and France. I get constipated.  So I wouldn't miss meat as much as others.