Quote of the Day: Robert Half

Inspiration Bot

8 hours ago, Inspiration Bot said:

"When one teaches, two learn."

I found this very true when I started training aircraft mechanics. I learned a lot about the job when I had to do it exactly by the book. In fact I had to make around 200 changes to the Technical Orders where I found outright mistakes or better ways of doing things.

IIt’s from George Bernard Shaw’s Maxims for Revolutionists. The quote is “He who can does; he who cannot, teaches.” It is also a line in his play Man and Superman:

“Don’t listen to her Bob. Remember those who can, do; those who can’t, teach.”

It was a nice throwaway witticism that has become a way to denigrate teachers. GBS must have had lousy teachers. Too bad.

Really good teachers are rare: There are lots of people who know things, but who coudn’t teach it to others to save their life.

So my take on it is: 
Those who can, do. Many of these try to teach, and teach badly. 
Ever have a college professor who was brilliant in a subject but an absolute disaster as a teacher? I can remember dozens of such types. The ones who could actually teach? You could count them on one hand with a couple fingers left over - and I attended UT Austin, a pretty fair school. 
Those rare few who can do, and explain it to others, so they really get it in their bones, teach. And God bless them. 
Those who can't do, and can't explain, but who bumble around full of self importance, often become school administrators....or congresspersons, or senators. Or a very stable genius president!