Where are you in the vaccine line

Scrapr

39 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm so far down the line that the New York Times won't even let me read about it.

Logic however tells me that I'm somewhere in the middle, mostly due to age.  Problems with the Pfizer manufacturing however also tell me that some are being wildly optimistic about when they will get theirs.

Corona virus news is ‘sposed to be free access at the nyt.  It let me read it. 

50 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I think I'll wait.  Unfortunately I think it will take years before we learn of any negative effects though.

I’ve been exposed twice in the last two weeks, it will get worse before it gets better. If I can have some resistance to the infection by some point in January that will be great, from my perspective. The risk of getting ill with the virus outweighs potential side effects in my mind.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I think I'll wait.  Unfortunately I think it will take years before we learn of any negative effects though.

At this point its a balancing act between better and worse.  I'll be first in line when my group comes up.  I believe that the better far outweighs the worse, sort of like mask wearing.

I'm also somewhat miffed about all the anti vax crap.

• Heart 1

I think that calculator is dated as it doesn't reflect the edicts last week of our crazy Governor. Typically, he trashes science and threw the CDC recommendations out. New order 1) Nursing homes and assisted living facilities, 2) Healthcare workers, 3) over 65, 4) first responders, 5) all others, 6) children

While moves me up the list, doesn't seem right. Further CDC specifically noted the lack of sufficient trial testing of the nursing home assisted living population, giving preference to other groups...our Governor effectively makes them guinea pigs.

• Sad 1

I’m near the top 1/3. A friend was in the Moderna trial. Pretty sure she got the vaccine instead of the placebo.  She had a rough couple days after getting the shot but then was fine. He contracted C19 and it was very rough on him despite being in very good physical condition. She showed nary a symptom as they both stayed home. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

At this point its a balancing act between better and worse.  I'll be first in line when my group comes up.  I believe that the better far outweighs the worse, sort of like mask wearing.

I'm also somewhat miffed about all the anti vax crap.

This. The anti-maskers rallying cry has morphed to anti-vax. So predictable.

Can't wait for reality to strike. Like stores, including their favorite - WalMart and Dollar Tree - require mask, guess they won't be be on a plane or cruise as operators (and Customs on foreign travel) require it for passage. Yesterday Delta hinted at required for domestic travel...and if one does, they all will as they don't want the corporate liability. Even by car could see it as required documentation in addition to passports at International border crossings.

Sadly, it will probably create a new fake ID for the anti-vaxer market.

51 minutes ago, groupw said:

A friend was in the Moderna trial. Pretty sure she got the vaccine instead of the placebo.

I read about people asking if the folks who volunteered for the trials but got the placebo will be put towards the front of the line.  Seems a fair question and really the correct thing to do - offer them a spot - but also likely one most of them would pass on.  I'm guessing most volunteered to "help" their fellow humans, and weren't simply trying to get a vaccine ASAP.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

This. The anti-maskers rallying cry has morphed to anti-vax. So predictable.

I am not with them, I think they are silly.  Many vaccines are old technology and have been around for decades.  This one is new technology, only around for 5 years.  This vaccine has had limited trials.  While I understand it may save me from the virus, will I grow a third arm from my forehead?  No one has evidence I won't, or anything solid to back it up with that I won't.  The operation was a success but the patient died.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I am not with them, I think they are silly.  Many vaccines are old technology and have been around for decades.  This one is new technology, only around for 5 years.  This vaccine has had limited trials.  While I understand it may save me from the virus, will I grow a third arm from my forehead?  No one has evidence I won't, or anything solid to back it up with that I won't.  The operation was a success but the patient died.

I've always wanted a third arm and avoiding the side effects only to die of cv19 seems to be a bad bet.  You know the moment that the vaccine becomes available that half the country is going to abandon all careful protocols and party like it's saturday.

Based on your risk profile, we believe you’re in line behind 118.5 million people across the United States.

When it comes to Illinois, we think you’re behind 4.6 million others who are at higher risk in your state.

And in LaSalle County, you’re behind 47,100 others.  (111,000 live in my county)

I'll get the vaccine...   I agree with @maddmaxx about this.   WoBG... will be in line with @Square Wheels.    I guess we will find out who was correct at our home... time will tell all.

16 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

This one is new technology, only around for 5 years.  This vaccine has had limited trials.  While I understand it may save me from the virus, will I grow a third arm from my forehead?  No one has evidence I won't, or anything solid to back it up with that I won't.  The operation was a success but the patient died.

Been there, done that.

I was in the first group immunized when the polio vaccine was created after my father died of polio, and my cousin a year older than me who lived a block away survived polio be spent several years in an iron lung. My earliest memory is of the Health Dept, with lack of knowleged on transmission, needlessly quarantining me where I couldn't leave the home/yard. Little was known of the vaccine - and thankfully I didn't get the live batch from the poor manufacturing safeguards of the 50's that impacted California. With the improvements over the years, also had to take the 'latest and greatest', like the sugar cube application rather than injection or skin scratch.

I didn't grow a third arm from my forehead.

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Been there, done that.

I was in the first group immunized when the polio vaccine was created after my father died of polio, and my cousin a year older than me who lived a block away survived polio be spent several years in an iron lung. My earliest memory is of the Health Dept, with lack of knowleged on transmission, needlessly quarantining me where I couldn't leave the home/yard. Little was known of the vaccine - and thankfully I didn't get the live batch from the poor manufacturing safeguards of the 50's that impacted California. With the improvements over the years, also had to take the 'latest and greatest', like the sugar cube application rather than injection or skin scratch.

I didn't grow a third arm from my forehead.

Where and when I was raised, infant and child mortality was very high. The vaccination programs all but eliminated death as result of those disease. We still got deathly sick from other things but we didn't die from them. It is the difference between living in a third world country and a first world country. People who hold out against the vaccinations don't have the experiences that demonstrate the importance of vaccines. They'll start singing a different tune when their babies start dying.

Do it or don't do it, I don't care. It's a crap shoot. The odds are in my favor.

Oh, that quarantine I referred to earlier. I was 4 at the time and vaguely remember taking a train trip and on stage with large TV cameras. Mom says it was the Jerry Lewis Telethon, but I can't confirm that he started in polio then switched to MD when the vaccine was created. My sister, 18 mo younger than I on stage with me and this man embracing us while stating something of the order "These poor children lost their father to polio, give money to fight this terrible disease."

Apparently after that aired live and returning to Jacksonville, the entire town was in mass hysteria, forcing the Health Dept to react with the quarantine.  Only long lasting effect was throughout my life, I have a mass hysteria filter and don't react. Everything from fluoridation of water supply to todays anti-maskers/vaxers, with a lot in-between.

With today's anti-mask/vaxer, my view is that if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. It is 'all about me being inconvenienced' and no solutions provided - they are part of the problem. Stated from a business perspective - not a team player, and we know how long management keeps non-team players.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Many vaccines are old technology and have been around for decades.  This one is new technology, only around for 5 years.  This vaccine has had limited trials.  While I understand it may save me from the virus, will I grow a third arm from my forehead?  No one has evidence I won't, or anything solid to back it up with that I won't.  The operation was a success but the patient died.

"Process" vs "product" in many respects.  It's fairly clear, in 2020, that vaccines are "old" and "established" and "safe" by now.  I am fairly sure that over the past 100 years, the "how we create" and "how we manufacture" parts have changed a whole heckuva a lot.  The flu shot you got 30 years ago is definitely created and manufactured differently than the one you got last year.  Likewise the measles shot you got versus the one your kids got.

Additionally, there are several vaccines - each with a different process and a fairly similar product.  Are you worried about ALL of the new vaccines or one specifically?

• Heart 1

I didn't do the interactive test, but I don't fall into any priority classes, so I'll be pretty low.  I'll take it when it's available, but I won't qualify to get it until pretty late in the process.

27 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I didn't do the interactive test, but I don't fall into any priority classes, so I'll be pretty low.  I'll take it when it's available, but I won't qualify to get it until pretty late in the process.

We might be able to get SW's spot? 

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

I guess we will find out who was correct at our home... time will tell all.

It seems, to me at least, that folks who get a vaccination (or the two shots for some) can really then just wash their hands of the COVID nonsense altogether.  Gone are any and all restrictions in place - if the vaccine prevents innocculated folks from being carriers/spreaders too - so one would thing anti-maskers would be FIRST to want it, not last.  I like the idea of being immune to the measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, etc., and am looking forward to the same with COVID. The sooner I can sit down to a pleasant meal in a restaurant and not give a shit at all about anyone else in the room is GREAT.  Trips to the doctor or dentist suck in the best of times, but when you are safe from a potentially  life altering or ending infection, it becomes that much less awful.  And being able to visit loved ones if they happen to be in a hospital - without risk to them or me seems like a nice benefit.

And, as a side note, we have a guy on our team - works in OKC - who had COVID in April.  He has it AGAIN now.  On the plus side, he says the first time was way worse, but even so, he has been sidelined for several days this time.

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

"Process" vs "product" in many respects.  It's fairly clear, in 2020, that vaccines are "old" and "established" and "safe" by now.  I am fairly sure that over the past 100 years, the "how we create" and "how we manufacture" parts have changed a whole heckuva a lot.  The flu shot you got 30 years ago is definitely created and manufactured differently than the one you got last year.  Likewise the measles shot you got versus the one your kids got.

Additionally, there are several vaccines - each with a different process and a fairly similar product.  Are you worried about ALL of the new vaccines or one specifically?

There is herd immunity and herd mentality.  Which do you fall into?

There are real world issues with all vaccines.  All vaccines have side effects in some, and in some they are disastrous.  In previous vaccines that have been rushed to market those real world issues were disastrous several months down the road.  We now have 3 effective examples of vaccines that have been developed using transport technology (rDNA) that has never been used before that have been both developed and tested in spans of time that have never been seen before.  Step right up and roll up your sleeve.

Nearly half of the people polled in the US have said they are not interested in taking the chance on the vaccine at this time.  Why is this position somehow less than or less noble than the alternative?

We have people that won't touch a piece of meat because someone might have fed a cow some growth hormones, or they won't eat a piece of wheat bread because it might have been genetically modified, but they will be first in line to have someone stick a needle in their arm and inject them with stuff someone else says is safe (trust me).

• Awesome 2

9 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

There is herd immunity and herd mentality.  Which do you fall into?

There are real world issues with all vaccines.  All vaccines have side effects in some, and in some they are disastrous.  In previous vaccines that have been rushed to market those real world issues were disastrous several months down the road.  We now have 3 effective examples of vaccines that have been developed using transport technology (rDNA) that has never been used before that have been both developed and tested in spans of time that have never been seen before.  Step right up and roll up your sleeve.

Nearly half of the people polled in the US have said they are not interested in taking the chance on the vaccine at this time.  Why is this position somehow less than or less noble than the alternative?

We have people that won't touch a piece of meat because someone might have fed a cow some growth hormones, or they won't eat a piece of wheat bread because it might have been genetically modified, but they will be first in line to have someone stick a needle in their arm and inject them with stuff someone else says is safe (trust me).

I think that's a lot of "perception" and not a lot of "reality".  Even the readily referenced 1976 vaccination remains inconclusively "disastrous" but maybe your deeper knowledge of disastrous vaccines includes some I am unaware of.

Again, I'm not Mr Vaccine.  I'll get my COVID shot when the time comes but will be late in process.  What I find is this seems to be like people's fear of flying (you can die, but you won't, but you MIGHT, so maybe it is dangerous!) versus a really well thought out argument for or against a vaccine. 

My point would be "what's your recommendation for proper amount of testing?"  If rushed is 9 months, what's "normal"? What's "overkill"? What's "optimal"?  Do you have some sense of what the proper speed should be and what the best set of tests should be?

• Heart 1