It took me a long time: prairies

shootingstar

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Downtown Calgary is to my top left. Very faintly to right of city are Rocky mountains nearly 100 km. west.  Long time locals like to sell the Rocky Mountains --as if it's ours.  It's not...they and the park wilderness do not sit within our municipal boundaries at all.

But they look pretty darn good from a distance!

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Not much snow in your pictures, how much snow do you get in the Winter?

We get enough snow for certain years. Some years the municipal budget went over several  million for snow clearing.  Our chinook winds which appears like a thick ridge cloud advancing... bring in some warm air for a day or so every few weeks and might melt some snow. Not all of it. Then later we get another wave of snow.  We've already had 3 snow dumps since Oct., then it melts gradually.

It is the type of snow that is not as sticky as ie. in southern Ontario, where the frozen slush hangs around a long time because the air naturally has higher humidity.  I lived in southern ontario for lst 40 yrs. (before Vancouver) so it would be similar to parts of northeastern U.S.  When the prairie air is drier, then the melting snow evaporates alot faster in bright sunlight with clear blue skies that go on forever.

I wouldn't want any more snow than what we get. Thank goodness it's not Edmonton which is 300+ km north of us..where they don't get the chinook winds so the snow stays around alot longer and their winter temp. are alot colder than ours more days.

So 200 cms. = 78+ inches.

image.thumb.png.8e9170b4e907d3c8b1920d2a91f372aa.png

• Heart 1