Staff gifts

Square Wheels

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

The past two years I've given my reports and coworkers a bottle of decent wine.  Nothing crazy, but not $2 stuff either.

This year I am thinking of making a charitable donation instead.

Would you be offended if you got no gift from your boss?

I wouldn’t be but I don’t work for you....

My wife has gotten some cool thoughtful gifts from her bosses and some we just tossed. I think a contribution doesn’t show appreciation to the person like a thoughtful gift would.   But it can be hard if you have numerous reports.

I give my contract staff a $150 bonus. I can’t bonus my in house staff so get them useful but branded company swag (which I just posted about...).

10 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

The past two years I've given my reports and coworkers a bottle of decent wine.  Nothing crazy, but not $2 stuff either.

I never got a gift from my boss.  Usually there was a mass produced card that arrived late.

That's not entirely true.  I worked for one year as a contract worker for a company that gave each and every one of us a Christmas Turkey.  There were only 30 employees though and the company president had a work bench too.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I wouldn’t be but I don’t work for you....

My wife has gotten some cool thoughtful gifts from her bosses and some we just tossed. I think a contribution doesn’t show appreciation to the person like a thoughtful gift would.   But it can be hard if you have numerous reports.

I give my contract staff a $150 bonus. I can’t bonus my in house staff so get them useful but branded company swag (which I just posted about...).

I have 10 or so direct reports, @ 150 each, that would cost... 10 x 0 carry the 5, add the 15, subtract one... a LOT.  I also buy for coworkers, so about 15.  The other 40 people might get a group email.

22 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

To the Human Fund?

Seems like it's a booze year. Give them wine or whisky.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I have 10 or so direct reports, @ 150 each, that would cost... 10 x 0 carry the 5, add the 15, subtract one... a LOT.  I also buy for coworkers, so about 15.  The other 40 people might get a group email.

We’ll see I do it through company resources so it doesn’t cost me personally...  

One job I had I couldn’t do company paid for stuff and had a large crew so I got them each small See’s candies boxes. I have made cookies, brought in home made meals for lunch, stuff like that.

I do try to take care of my direct reports but don’t gift everyone I work with. Like here I work closely with 15 or so folks but I only do gifts for my team.  

My original boss...(the father) sent out cards signed by office staff...with the vinyl covered purse size date book..emblazoned with th company logo. No Christmas party :dontknow:. The last 2 years his son has come to lunch at our place of work..catered by Olive Garden. However, there is the staff gift from the residents..cash..every year is different..last year was grand..like over a grand..each..there are 7 of us.

• Awesome 1

I've never gotten a gift from my boss, so I wouldn't be offended if I didn't get one.   But I also don't consider a donation to charity as a gift to me, unless I've designated the charity and asked for donations instead of gifts (which some friends and I have done).

If I had gotten a gift in prior years, I might feel a little disappointed  to not get one this year, but I'd also never expect a boss to come out of pocket for gifts to coworkers.

If you want to stop the gift giving because it's gotten out of hand and is becoming burdensome, you'll never have a better chance than this year.   Everyone recognizes there are a lot of people in need  this year and a lot of charities having problems meeting their fundraising goals.  So people would understand that you wanted to direct your funds to a good cause.

• Heart 1

We each received a coffee card from former boss. I don't this new younger boss will do it.  It just doesn't seem her style.

Above boss is the only person for all workplaces where I've worked, who did give a small gift per direct report.

I don't expect a gift from a boss.  It is nice to have some christmas snacks etc. but impossible this year.  

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Heck no, but we are not the gifting type. Would much prefer a donation to a charity. We even did that with relatives.

• Heart 1

You know I don’t recall getting gifts from my bosses either. My boss is always throwing balls & shit around the office so I gave him a bunch of nerf balls & dart guns one year. I gave him a book about youth sports last year (he has two young kids who play baseball). I probably won’t even see him between now & Christmas this year. 

My previous boss gave me a bonus, bosses before that nuthin.  I guess gifts stopped at my level.