Weekend cooking plans

BuffJim

33 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Today, while I ponder why Saturday isn't Saturnday, I'm making the very excellent Martha Stewart's Savory Fall Stew: Italian Sausage, Butternut Squash, Carrots, Fennel, Onion (calls for Pearl, I just slice Sweet), Brussels Sprouts, Diced Tomatoes, Parsnips (couldn't find any so I doubled the carrots), "a bundle of fresh herbs" (I just sprinkle in Dry Italian Seasoning and Garlic Powder), to which I add potatoes and which is covered to about the top of the veggies with Chicken Stock (made with Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base).

1252405523_SavoryFallStew.jpg.3e521302d3679462dd57c80c8da7a5e9.jpg

I make this but with turnips instead of parsnips.  They are hard to find in rochester 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I’m making a beef stew. Never done one before. Basically like a beef soup, but I’ll start with a butter and flour roux. Might add some red wine, or maybe Red Bull for more flavor. I’ve cooked with red wine before, but never Red Bull. 

I am making the same thing tomorrow!  I used to make a beef stew without the roux, but once I did, there is no going back. You will love it if you leave out the Red Bull.

Today I am trying a new ramen recipe with ground beef.  I've never made a soup with ground beef before...  I'm a little worried.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

26 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

I am making the same thing tomorrow!  I used to make a beef stew without the roux, but once I did, there is no going back. You will love it if you leave out the Red Bull.

Today I am trying a new ramen recipe with ground beef.  I've never made a soup with ground beef before...  I'm a little worried.

The Red Bull part was a little literary flair.  Never even tried the stuff. I will add about a half cup of wine. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I could go for beef stew about now but WOChrisL isn’t a big fan of red meat these days.  I don’t care for red wine in my stew but that’s me.

Ever had the Philipino beef stew with coconut milk?  Oh man it was all I could do to not stick my face in the bowl & lick it clean.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

I made chili this morning. I have more ground beef so Wo7 will have a burger. I put the chili in the instant pot set to slow cook starting at 2:00. I’ll get home around seven. The chili will be good. 

What kind of beans did you use?  I am thinking of making chili with pinto beans today, and later roasting some vegetables.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I could go for beef stew about now but WOChrisL isn’t a big fan of red meat these days.  I don’t care for red wine in my stew but that’s me.

Ever had the Philipino beef stew with coconut milk?  Oh man it was all I could do to not stick my face in the bowl & lick it clean.

I am not much on the wine in stew, either, I suppose it is ok.  Fancier recipes all call for it, though.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, dennis said:

I've got some clotted cream that's getting old. Anyone got a recipe?

I thought clotted creme was illegal in the US because it is made with unpasteurized milk. Do you k is a guy that knows a guy that operates a shady dairy business?

• Heart 1

Asparagus with basil, arugula wrapped with proscuitto.  On the side is dearie's spaetzle. On another small plate, I had 2 more asparagus bundles but wrapped with dried bresola.  I thawed spaetzle since he made it over 8 months ago and tried pan heating it...didn't quite hold. When I served it on platter, spaetzle over more arugula. I put in a few small lumps of goat cheese and mixed it into the hot spaetzel.

My supper. :) 

spaetzel.JPG

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

6 hours ago, Airehead said:

I thought clotted creme was illegal in the US because it is made with unpasteurized milk. Do you k is a guy that knows a guy that operates a shady dairy business?

Is it really? That's probably why @Philander Seabury is sick.

I wish haggis was legal here. I love that stuff. I might have to talk @sheep_herder into making some for me. 

• Heart 2

21 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

tachos

Air fryer tater tots.  A bit of browned hamburger on top.  Some melted cheese with rotel drizzled over it.  Serve on a platter dig in.  Side of salad.

Back before I had to worry about blood pressure, would make what I called hot dog stew. It was tater tots, hot dogs, hot dog chili, and shredded cheese. 

It was delicious. 

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, dennis said:

Is it really? That's probably why @Philander Seabury is sick.

I wish haggis was legal here. I love that stuff. I might have to talk @sheep_herder into making some for me. 

Have @sheep_herdersend me the sheep bits and I’ll make it for you on Robert Burns day. 

• Heart 2

Follow up post. The chili was phenomenal. Instant Pot is an excellent slow cooker. You can program the start time and keep warm so it’s ready when you get home. Tonight I’m making crab stuffed zucchini. Halve zucchini lengthwise and carve out the center for the filling. Reserve the zucchini guts as they are good for a side dish, sautéed with onion, garlic maybe some frozen corn kernels and some diced tomatoes. Beat an egg with 1/4 cup Mayo. 1 Tblsp Worcestershire sauce, old bay hot sauce,  1 tsp Dijon mustard, old bay seasoning, I don’t tell you how much to use, you know. Add 1 lb real crab from the Chesapeake Bay. 1/4 cup Panko crumbs and fresh chopped parsley. Stuff zucchini boats and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. You could add some freshly grated Parmesan reggiano to the top 

• Heart 4

14 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Follow up post. The chili was phenomenal. Instant Pot is an excellent slow cooker. You can program the start time and keep warm so it’s ready when you get home. Tonight I’m making crab stuffed zucchini. Halve zucchini lengthwise and carve out the center for the filling. Reserve the zucchini guts as they are good for a side dish, sautéed with onion, garlic maybe some frozen corn kernels and some diced tomatoes. Beat an egg with 1/4 cup Mayo. 1 Tblsp Worcestershire sauce, old bay hot sauce,  1 tsp Dijon mustard, old bay seasoning, I don’t tell you how much to use, you know. Add 1 lb real crab from the Chesapeake Bay. 1/4 cup Panko crumbs and fresh chopped parsley. Stuff zucchini boats and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. You could add some freshly grated Parmesan reggiano to the top 

This sounds delicious if you subbed smashed crackers for the panko crumbs. They are too uppity for bay crab. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I had some shrimp so I sautéed it in butter. Took it out, made a béchamel sauce. Added. Jar of pesto made in the summer and frozen. Put the shrimp back in and served over rigatoni. Topped with some Parmesan and some Gruyere.  Einstein loved it.  I had cauliflower and plain noodles.