Do you “major in the minors”?

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by donkpow,

I once came across this concept in a busyness book, where the Arthur said too many managers do that, ie concentrate on minutia when they should be concentrating on the big picture. 

I like doing that too. Like my recent post on forum reading method, I especially like to play with little differences in how you do things in software to enhance the “flow” experience. This is one  big reason I think I am ready for retaarment. :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I have to guard against falling into that trap. I really like things done as I envision them. Mostly it doesn’t matter if someone else gets to the same goal a different way. Pick good people and trust them. 

I am SO happy to finish oot my career with a boss like that. This site had a  micromanager department boss before and it made everyone miserable, demotivated, and very motivated to get the hell oot. The contrast could not be bigger. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I once came across this concept in a busyness book, where the Arthur said too many managers do that, ie concentrate on minutia when they should be concentrating on the big picture. 

I like doing that too. Like my recent post on forum reading method, I especially like to play with little differences in how you do things in software to enhance the “flow” experience. This is one  big reason I think I am ready for retaarment. :D

My former boss was into certain details waaaay too much. Our dept. has faaaaaaar too detailed procedures for rest of the organization to spend that useless time reading such minutiae.  Methinks all that detail was her security blanket instead of focusing hard on strategic directions. She retired 5 months.  I complained this to the new boss. No one else in the dept. is disagreeing with me.

Unfortunately I am assigned to deliver an information session to rest of organization..on interpeting details.  It's on a topic that's not my area of strength. So invitation sent to 55 people.....and over 20 people indicated they're comin' to MS Teams session.  Great. 1-2 are more expert than I.  A great trap for me. :unsure:  Or maybe they're all just isolated and tired working from home.

I'll be glad to go on vacation next day.

• Heart 1

When I took over as the boss in my current job, my replacement came and was a friend/colleague of 15 years.  We went for supper and I told him how I hated micro managers, they irritate me and I find them counter-productive.  I explained that having said that, as this was my first time being a direct manager I might BE a micromanager, so if I start to micro manage him for him to tell me and I will stop because I know how awful it is.  Steve laughed and replied "You will never micromanage me, you will just push me out of the way and do it yourself"

That was 5 years ago..., and at least once a year he laughs and says, " Remember supper, you are doing it again"

I work for a guy that sort of does this.  He will focus on making a document simple and legible to him, and in the process we lose levels of detail.   This is very problematic with spread sheets.  We wants them printed out and this kills the data behind the numbers.   

Gives me job security, as I spend a fair bit of time creating things just for him based off of complicated spread sheets, but also gets frustrating as I have to re do them all the time and answer questions about this number or that number.

43 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I work for a guy that sort of does this.  He will focus on making a document simple and legible to him, and in the process we lose levels of detail.   This is very problematic with spread sheets.  We wants them printed out and this kills the data behind the numbers.   

Gives me job security, as I spend a fair bit of time creating things just for him based off of complicated spread sheets, but also gets frustrating as I have to re do them all the time and answer questions about this number or that number.

But he tolerates your 'stache, right?

• Haha 2