Virtual Dead of Winter Double Century

az_cyclist

Ok, it was an actual ride. The virtual part of the name is, since most of the California Triple Crown rides were cancelled due to COVID.  You create your own route, but it has to be 200 miles, and the elevation gain must be the same, or more than, that of the actual route. And it is not even winter yet, but, that is what they named it.  It is the last double in the CTC calendar, and, the only one in December.

There were just 2 of us riding the route yesterday, Catherine and myself. She is a very strong rider (raced in the 70s); I could not keep up with her on club  rides.  She fell and broke her collar bone in the 6-12-24 World Time Trial in Borrego Springs last year, then, contacted COVID in June of this year.  She is working to get her fitness back. Dennis had already ridden his virtual DoW with me on Nov 23.  

We were to meet at 0500, so of course I get a flat on the way there.  Fortunately she was running about 5 minutes late herself.  At about mile 15 I started to hear a clicking noise.  Change gears, still there.  We stopped a few miles later, checked things the best we could, seemed to be ok. The noise was somewhat random. Stopped again a few miles later at a Circle K, where we had more light, still didnt see anything, and after that it seemed to go away.  When I came back I began to worry that it could be a frame or seatpost crack. After sunrise it seemed to get worse, so when we pulled over to change to sunglasses I looked at the rear wheel closer.  Sure enough I found the crack then, not holes where the spokes are but more on the side.  I certainly didnt want to abandon, but she said, why dont we ride to your home and you can get your other bike.  Since all we need is the miles and elevation gain, seemed to be a good idea.  It took me about 40 minutes to change a tire on the Richey (sidewall cut that I had noticed Sunday) and to transfer some lights and the Wahoo mount. We decided to ride back to where we left the course, as the first loop thru Fountain HIlls, AZ, is pretty nice, and that part of the route had most of the climbing we needed.  A side benefit is there was a Subway right on the route that would normally have been to early for lunch.  Not so great was the wind picked up, which meant we made the first big climb into the wind, and the descent was slowed by the same headwind.  The crosswind made for some extra work to Fountain HIlls. 

We continued on the route until we got back to the route start, where a second loop starts.  Since we were at 170 miles, we decided to ride toward her home.  Her husband had prepared snacks and had come soft drinks for us.  I was at 188 miles, and she was pretty sure it was 10 miles from her home to the park by the most direct route.  Since I live 2 miles beyond the park, that worked.  

It was a chilly start, about 42F, but it did warm up into the upper 70s.  I had started the day with bibs, base layer, jersey, knee warmers, sun sleeves, wool arm warmers, wool glove liners, and a wind vest.  I only had to put the wind vest back on; didnt put on the knee warmers or arm warmers. Got home about 10:00 pm.  I would like to have  cut that time, but, the rolling average was 15.4, which was good for me.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

2 hours ago, az_cyclist said:

Ok, it was an actual ride. The virtual part of the name is, since most of the California Triple Crown rides were cancelled due to COVID.  You create your own route, but it has to be 200 miles, and the elevation gain must be the same, or more than, that of the actual route. And it is not even winter yet, but, that is what they named it.  It is the last double in the CTC calendar, and, the only one in December.

There were just 2 of us riding the route yesterday, Catherine and myself. She is a very strong rider (raced in the 70s); I could not keep up with her on club  rides.  She fell and broke her collar bone in the 6-12-24 World Time Trial in Borrego Springs last year, then, contacted COVID in June of this year.  She is working to get her fitness back. Dennis had already ridden his virtual DoW with me on Nov 23.  

We were to meet at 0500, so of course I get a flat on the way there.  Fortunately she was running about 5 minutes late herself.  At about mile 15 I started to hear a clicking noise.  Change gears, still there.  We stopped a few miles later, checked things the best we could, seemed to be ok. The noise was somewhat random. Stopped again a few miles later at a Circle K, where we had more light, still didnt see anything, and after that it seemed to go away.  When I came back I began to worry that it could be a frame or seatpost crack. After sunrise it seemed to get worse, so when we pulled over to change to sunglasses I looked at the rear wheel closer.  Sure enough I found the crack then, not holes where the spokes are but more on the side.  I certainly didnt want to abandon, but she said, why dont we ride to your home and you can get your other bike.  Since all we need is the miles and elevation gain, seemed to be a good idea.  It took me about 40 minutes to change a tire on the Richey (sidewall cut that I had noticed Sunday) and to transfer some lights and the Wahoo mount. We decided to ride back to where we left the course, as the first loop thru Fountain HIlls, AZ, is pretty nice, and that part of the route had most of the climbing we needed.  A side benefit is there was a Subway right on the route that would normally have been to early for lunch.  Not so great was the wind picked up, which meant we made the first big climb into the wind, and the descent was slowed by the same headwind.  The crosswind made for some extra work to Fountain HIlls. 

We continued on the route until we got back to the route start, where a second loop starts.  Since we were at 170 miles, we decided to ride toward her home.  Her husband had prepared snacks and had come soft drinks for us.  I was at 188 miles, and she was pretty sure it was 10 miles from her home to the park by the most direct route.  Since I live 2 miles beyond the park, that worked.  

It was a chilly start, about 42F, but it did warm up into the upper 70s.  I had started the day with bibs, base layer, jersey, knee warmers, sun sleeves, wool arm warmers, wool glove liners, and a wind vest.  I only had to put the wind vest back on; didnt put on the knee warmers or arm warmers. Got home about 10:00 pm.  I would like to have  cut that time, but, the rolling average was 15.4, which was good for me.

Nice.  I guess the Ritchey is disc, and your road bike is rim brakes?  I've had to do the "oh crap, I need a new wheel" thing before a ride, but luckily, I had two very similar bikes.  Now, with my main two bikes being completely incompatible, it makes a fast pit stop tougher.  I also get bit by the "I'll do it/fix it/lube it later mistake" and think I can just get up and go, and realize I need time to do what I put off :(

Regardless, though, it seems the ridiculously named ride was VERY flexible so you got it done without much drama.  Very nice!  Well, except the wind - that sucks! And the ruined rim which also sucks.  Better a rim than a frame, though!

44 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Nice.  I guess the Ritchey is disc, and your road bike is rim brakes?  I've had to do the "oh crap, I need a new wheel" thing before a ride, but luckily, I had two very similar bikes.  Now, with my main two bikes being completely incompatible, it makes a fast pit stop tougher.  I also get bit by the "I'll do it/fix it/lube it later mistake" and think I can just get up and go, and realize I need time to do what I put off :(

Regardless, though, it seems the ridiculously named ride was VERY flexible so you got it done without much drama.  Very nice!  Well, except the wind - that sucks! And the ruined rim which also sucks.  Better a rim than a frame, though!

Both bikes have disc brakes.  I had just not swapped wheels between the bikes. I wanted to try the Richey for a long ride, and 132 was enough.  The saddle was not broken in , but , it will be

8 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Amazing how you can ride that far!  What a day!  Nice. 

Thanks, but, I have been training for them since 2013.  The 200 we did on Nov 23 was a bit harder.  I was off the bike from Nov 9-19, and got in a couple of rides on the 20th and 21st, but I was hurting the last 20 miles on that one, especially when I had to do hill repeats at the end to get the required elevation gain.