How well do you know wood?

Digital_photog

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

All guesses were made, so no need to wait!!!! 

Read the thread. There will be 2 winners. You have a chance for the second one.  If anyone answers more than once I will use your last choice so if you changed your mind since your first one you can choose again.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

You are more impatient than my grandchildren on  Christmas morning.  Do you think you are a winner?

DSCN0867.jpg

When you said it was a wooden spoon..., I didn't know you literally meant A WOODEN SPOON!  :frantics:

Now I am triggered to flashbacks of my mom threatening me to spank me with a wooden spoon if I didn't behave

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

When you said it was a wooden spoon..., I didn't know you literally meant A WOODEN SPOON!  :frantics:

Now I am triggered to flashbacks of my mom threatening me to spank me with a wooden spoon if I didn't behave

Ha! I was thinking the same thing when I saw the picture. Knuckle crackers. :lol:

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I suggest that if  you win and your mother is still with you that you keep them away from her. It is for your safety.

I know who one winner is.  The second chance drawing will determine the second winner. That one we have to wait till everyone gets an equal chance. Just don't wait too long with your choices.  Sometimes I get insomnia and wake up early.  So it will end sometime between 2 am and 7 am. I think most (other than the owl) are having fun with this.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Nuts! I was going to say walnut.

Congratulations,  @ChrisL<_<

I gave lots of clues here and on facebook. I even gave the opportunity for anyone to change their choice. Thought we may see lots of correct choices by the end. @ChrisL deserves the win since he made a correct pick.... or should I say guess before all the clues. Other woods that do look a little similar would be hackberry, maple  and the white sapwood from the eastern red cedar. If you know walnut well the dark flecks in the wood give it away.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

4:24  am. Contest is closed. First place winner is (drum roll) @ChrisL  with his correct choice of walnut.

DSCN0858.thumb.jpg.fd479996ebc44d44f830d3e67001f982.jpgDSCN0862.jpg.7be94fe3e23271f008407bdaab188a8b.jpg

the bowl and both boards came from the same 2 foot long section of walnut log..  I like carving the sapwood, green. before it dries then microwave drying it.

I also should have said that the smaller white spoon is carved from the piece of wood in the original post.

I used an online random number generator available at random.org. Set minimum as 1 and maximum as two.  Used the names in the order @Digital_photog wrote them in this sentence. 

2 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

Our second winner will be drawn between the 2 other correct choices.  @Zephyr and @jsharr

The  number generated was 1 so Zephyr is the winner. 

congratulations. 

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

I used an online random number generator available at random.org. Set minimum as 1 and maximum as two.  Used the names in the order @Digital_photog wrote them in this sentence. 

The  number generated was 1 so Zephyr is the winner. 

congratulations. 

@Zephyr please pm me your address.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Ps, I love wooden spoons as art. Later I will show you a couple that are unique. Actually they are all unique which is why I love them. 

I am a beginner at carving.  Mine still look like beginner work and are very primitive.  Don't expect perfection.  I'm just having fun practicing.  These spoons are usable and the finish is a food grade finish. 

I guess I picked the right person to determine the winner.  I think I still have your address but you can pm it to me to be sure.  I think I can get these carved before Christmas but with covid delivery could be slow.  All winners will get their spoon but it my take a few weeks.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

Our second winner will be drawn between the 2 other correct choices.  @Zephyr and @jsharr

I think jsharr may have figured it out from my facebook but I didn't post any rule against that and I also even posted a picture here with a spoon with the dark edge showing so you all had a chance at the clues.

I think @Airehead is a very fair and unbiased person so  I would like to ask her to draw a straw, flip a coin or some way pick our winner from those two.

I didn't think that I may have the expense of postage to the Great White North Land, (Canada) but I will keep my word and ship a spoon to which ever one she draws as the winner.

The spoons available will be posted in a couple days when I have them both carved so @ChrisL can have first choice of spoon as our grand prize winner.

If @Airehead will do this great service for me there will also me a small spoon for her.  This spoon would be suitable as a Christmas tree ornament, breakfast cereal spoon to eat your cheerios or maybe even a dog medicine spoon.

I hope everyone (even @Kzoo) enjoyed the contest. Picking the wood or bitching about how it was run. :P

I cheated and saw your face book post.  Give it to @Zephyr

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I cheated and saw your face book post.  Give it to @Zephyr

after you saw it there I posted the picture here to give others an equal chance. You think I would let you win that easy? I knew the clue was there if someone looked at it. I consider anything I posted fair information to use.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

I think jsharr may have figured it out from my facebook but I didn't post any rule against that and I also even posted a picture here with a spoon with the dark edge showing so you all had a chance at the clues.

I think @Airehead is a very fair and unbiased person so  I would like to ask her to draw a straw, flip a coin or some way pick our winner from those two.

I didn't think that I may have the expense of postage to the Great White North Land, (Canada) but I will keep my word and ship a spoon to which ever one she draws as the winner.

The spoons available will be posted in a couple days when I have them both carved so @ChrisL can have first choice of spoon as our grand prize winner.

If @Airehead will do this great service for me there will also me a small spoon for her.  This spoon would be suitable as a Christmas tree ornament, breakfast cereal spoon to eat your cheerios or maybe even a dog medicine spoon.

I hope everyone (even @Kzoo) enjoyed the contest. Picking the wood or bitching about how it was run. :P

Wooot wooot!  Thanks @Digital_photog!  

@Airehead asked for a picture to show the difference in some of the wood.  I don't have a piece of white pine or hackberry here in the house so you will see the rest. From left to right  Mulberry, Cherry, Eastern Red Cedar, Black Walnut, Maple. You can see the difference in the ERC and walnut between the sapwood and the heartwood.  Eastern Red Cedar is not a true cedar but a juniper. It is the aromatic cedar you would find in a cedar chest or closet lining. The other woods do not have a huge difference in color of the sapwood or heartwood.

DSCN0873.thumb.jpg.ca0f7338798d011c459949a5a274c254.jpg

• Heart 2

One knife  is carved. I will carve several more, post pictures, the winners will get to pick one in this order.

first choice.  @ChrisL

Second @Zephyr

Third @Airehead

Will try to have at least 4 ready so you will all have a choice and not need to take what is left over.   IF you want to make this like the NFL draft and sell or trade your position in line that is up to you. :lol:

• Heart 1