Wish me luck with HP laptop factory reset!

MickinMD

Today, I just gave up trying to find a way to save my files on my bought-after-the-fire in March 2020 17" HP laptop that crashed on June 18 right after the 90-day warranty expired for the refurbished ($500 instead of $1500 new) laptop warranty.

Fortunately, I had backed everything up on June 10 and everything important since then was stored in the cloud.

So, lazy me kept using my backup, almost as good, 2016 HP laptop saved from the fire that has a bad keyboard on a few keys but I can sit a nice, big, $10 USB keyboard on top of the laptop while occasionally trying to figure out how to recover the files on the "new" refurbished laptop.

I've kept a 4 TB USB hard drive connected to the 2016 laptop and have been saving absolutely everything to it.

Lately, the 2016 laptop has developed a loose connection at the power jack port.  So I decided, I better get the 2020 laptop working.

I was able to turn the power on while pressing the F11 key and get to the System Restore page.  I chose the complete reset (lose files, etc.) and then it asked me if I wanted it to completely erase all file (impressions) from the hard drive and said that would take much longer and I didn't need to do it if I was keeping the laptop.

So, I chose not to do that and the screen changed to "Resetting this PC" and stayed at 1% for about 20 min. but has moved to 12% now.

I hope I get something that works at 100% or else I'm going to have to do the completely-erase-all-file-impressions method.

• Heart 3

Thanks - the luck's working so far: it says it's 38% complete.

Of course, these HP Windows 10 laptops can hang up at any point, go an hour without changing a percentage then finish quickly, or get to 80% and give a vague message that the procedure can't be completed.

Meanwhile the 2016 laptop's power plug seems to have settled down ok - I'm using it now and the battery has gone from 18% when I noticed the problem earlier to 50%.  It would be no problem if I used it at a desk and the power plug remained stationary, but I use it while sittling on a recliner so it moves a little.

It will still make a decent emergency backup or my brother in law and I can take the thing apart on a slow day and fix the connection.

20201211_162242.thumb.jpg.872057f93493063c160405c85a988214.jpg

Press the w (wait) key prior to the 50% done point to keep from having your presence erased from the internet including but not exclusive to such things as social security, bank id, library cards etc.

Oh......you didn't use the full erase/restore function did you.  You will probably be ok.......I think..........maybe.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Press the w (wait) key prior to the 50% done point to keep from having your presence erased from the internet including but not exclusive to such things as social security, bank id, library cards etc.

Thanks, I missed it - 84% now - but I'm going to write a report on how I did it and store it on my smartphone and both old and new laptops in case I need to do it in the future and I'll include that.

Firefox has a passwords, etc. stored in the cloud but I don't use that and don't store passwords on my computer except in an encrypted form on a text file I can easily decipher.  I always have to type in my bank, mutual funds, stocks, etc. passwords and don't ever save them.  I do keep my account activated for this site, CBS Sports (fantasy football), ABC News and other non-financial things.

It won't be too much trouble to log back in - I have that encrypted text file on my phone and computers to refer to.

Damn!  No luck!  It got to 100%, began to reboot the system and the blue screen below appeared.  I've seen it before, went to the webpage, tried all the solutions and no luck - it would never let me get to safe mode either.

Now, the power button has stopped working.  I turned it off and tried to turn it on and a little red light on the side showed I was getting power but pressing the button did nothing.  I closed the lid, hoping something in the sleep mode was involved, reopened it and nothing.

It may be this is the first refurbished HP I didn't profit by getting!

Meanwhile, I think the power problem with the 2016 laptop was at least partly due to my misreading the icon: sometimes it shows an icon that has a moving bar to show it's charging, sometimes it just shows a tiny, tiny electric plug on top of the icon to show it's plugged in and I may have missed that little plug.

Everything's backed up and I have my nephew Ryan's old laptop available to me if this 2016 laptop fails and I need a backup.  If I can't get the 2020 failed laptop going, I'll get a new or refurbished one.

20201211_162242.thumb.jpg.2c84ad726e94725a06b77b041861cece.jpg

I just checked out prices for refurbished 17" PC laptops wth quad-core, 3 GHz or better, AMD A-10 or better processors, 12 or more GB RAM and 1-2 TB HD and the prices are double what they were in March and close to new prices.

Since the power plug problem on my 2016 laptop appears to have been a visual error on my part - not noticing the super-tiny power plug on top of the battery icon - and the battery is now 100% charged and it's plugged into power and my nephew has volunteered an unused, Win 10 computer I've used before and is fast enough as an emergency backup, I'll wait until after Christmas to look for a new laptop.

Some friends and relatives have pointed out that I should shop acting like I can take it with me since I'm not rich but good-for-life financially and I should spend more money on things I enjoy.  I started: I upgraded from an antenna to the all the FIOS TV stations.

So maybe it's time to get a new 17" laptop with a 4 GHz, quad-core or better processor, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD-startup harddrive plus a 2 TB hard drive, and all the bells and whistles - though I don't need a DVD player/recorder anymore and can use this as a backup laptop if I need to get something off one.

I'll post a thread asking for recommendations in late December or January.

I searched the HP Customer Support - Knowledge Base  for;  stop code system thread exception not handled iastora.sys

This is one solution (??) that was in the results.  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05834972

Seems like a long shot...  it probably can't get worse.  Then again, it could....

You don't have a Windows 10 recovery disk (or USB drive) for the computer? 

It turns out the power supply from the 2016 laptop is DEAD - it's identical to the power supply to the 2020 laptop.

So I WAS having power supply issues with my 2016 laptop and when I switched to the 2020 power supply all is ok.

The attempt to reset DID fail - the blue "needs to restart" screen I posted above did appear before the battery ran out of power while I had the 2016 power supply attached to it.

I'm trying some of the advanced options and then will try the long-version of resetting if they don't work.  I'll probably wait until I walk Jake tomorrow to run the long reset because I'm swapping one power supply back and forth to keep two laptops going.

Meanwhile, my nerves - and my blood sugar that jumped - are back in place now that I know this 2016 laptop is not on its last legs, everything is backed up, and my nephew Ryan's old Win 10 computer is available to me if I need it - his house is 10 minutes away, I have the house key and computer's password and know where it is.

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

I searched the HP Customer Support - Knowledge Base  for;  stop code system thread exception not handled iastora.sys

This is one solution (??) that was in the results.  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05834972

Seems like a long shot...  it probably can't get worse.  Then again, it could....

You don't have a Windows 10 recovery disk (or USB drive) for the computer? 

Thanks for the work and link. I don't have that hard drive but I'll try it if all else fails.

I don't have a recovery disk because I foolishly waited too long to make them - they take up several DVDs and I didn't have any on hand.

17 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I'm trying some of the advanced options and then will try the long-version of resetting if they don't work.

Yeah...  If you still have a way for the computer to fix itself, do that first.   I'd try the HP suggestion last.

Now you know why Windows tells you;  "Getting Windows ready Don't turn off your computer"  for an update. 

Things I would never get refurbished include anything that power is constantly cycled on.  Laptops, TVs, smartphones, etc just do not seem worth the hassle.  They are refurbished for a reason, and you are reasonably certain to be getting someone else’s problem that nobody bothered to fix properly. 

I would go to Costco and get a new laptop.  They will happily take it back if it doesn’t work right or even if you say you didn’t like how the box it came in smelled.   

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Things I would never get refurbished include anything that power is constantly cycled on.  Laptops, TVs, smartphones, etc just do not seem worth the hassle.  They are refurbished for a reason, and you are reasonably certain to be getting someone else’s problem that nobody bothered to fix properly. 

I would go to Costco and get a new laptop.  They will happily take it back if it doesn’t work right or even if you say you didn’t like how the box it came in smelled.   

I like getting stuff at Costco: they add an extra year to electronics warranties.  I'll check it out.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, team scooter said:

Mrs was getting the same screen on her new work lap top. But it wouldnt restart. After she and her IT fought and messed with it for over a week, they just sent her another new one. While shopping for a replacement, I'd avoid any refurbished Surface that looks like someone threw it against wall several times. Just sayin.... ;)

I am sure I have told this story too many times already, but what the hell. :D

I knew it was going to be trouble when my father bought a chartreuse Fiat 850 Spyder with the rocker panels kicked in.  One look at that and I knew it was trouble, and sure enough, it was!  That ()*&^ car started only when it damn well felt like it. :D :facepalm:

(Oh, it' snot so bad, just once. :D )

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2