Well that was fun.....

groupw

Hydroplaning on water is bad enough, but wet heavy snow can be the worst for traction.  

I've lived in rural IL for a while now.  When the snow gets bad, it best to avoid some of the country roads.   Unless you like driving by the brail method.  If you are too far to the right it gets bumpy. Too far to the left it gets bumpy.  No bumps... you are probably on the road.

• Heart 2

11 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Hydroplaning on water is bad enough, but wet heavy snow can be the worst for traction.  

I've lived in rural IL for a while now.  When the snow gets bad, it best to avoid some of the country roads.   Unless you like driving by the brail method.  If you are too far to the right it gets bumpy. Too far to the left it gets bumpy.  No bumps... you are probably on the road.

That method doesn’t work on my road. If the bumps go away you are in trouble because you are off the road.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

This was a paved road. Just no traffic on it yet. Buick has improved their driving dynamics in many ways, but handling in snow is not their strong suit. 

9 minutes ago, groupw said:

This was a paved road. Just no traffic on it yet. Buick has improved their driving dynamics in many ways, but handling in snow is not their strong suit. 

I purchased all season tires rated for snow for my Subaru.  It still hasn't snowed here.   

WoBG's Honda Prelude gets parked in the garage for most of the winter.  She knows... if it's snowing, she wants to use the Subaru.  

45 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I purchased all season tires rated for snow for my Subaru.  It still hasn't snowed here.   

WoBG's Honda Prelude gets parked in the garage for most of the winter.  She knows... if it's snowing, she wants to use the Subaru.  

The Enclave is a company car. Owner likes Buicks. I would rather have an AWD Mazda CX-5 like WoW’s. Only thing better in the Buick is the power tailgate. Mazda gets nearly 10 MPG better mileage too. So much better in the snow. 

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

My Honda Fit does not do well in snow.  Fortunately, I never have or have had to use my car until the roads are plowed.  That used to drive my sister into a jealous fit when I was a teacher, off on snow days, and she was a key Johns Hopkins nurse where the National Guard would pick her up and take her to work if the snow was too deep.  She's always owned all-wheel-drive cars, partly so her husband could drive to Johns Hopkins and pick her up on days the National Guard took her to work.

I can't believe that I survived working in Middletown CT, getting out of work at midnight and driving 30 miles home in winter snow storms and hilly country.  There were some epic hours long trips and scary stories.  The midnight hour seemed to be when the plow trucks took a break between the previous days work and the next morning rush hour.

Hated it.

• Heart 1