17 LB Brisket

ChrisL

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’m using the “snake method” with the coals and then placed chips along the snake of coals to keep the smoke going.  

How long was that one on the grill?

These were 8-10 lbs and not full size like yours. Six hours total. Three hours naked (in picture) then wrapped in pink butcher paper for another three. I added coals at the three hour mark. I used a drip pan below the meat with coals and oak on either side. Controlled the heat using the vents; just slightly cracked.

• Heart 1

58 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Loses about 2lbs in the process. A bigger cut like @ChrisL has will lose a little more. 

Yeah I struggled with the meat purchase. I went to Costco & the Pre trimmed brisket was the right sized but I figured I needed the fat to smoke it and it was pretty lean.  So I got the smallest whole brisket that was 17 lbs.  But I probably paid $10 for fat...

It’s basically the same group as my thanksgiving bubble so 8 people but I’m assuming there will be a lot left over.  My daughters MIL really loves brisket & we were all hankering bbq so I thought I’d give this a go.  Daughter’s MIL is doing the sides.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Thanks. So how much per person do you figure?

I plan on 1/2 lb per person and that’s generous. I slice and freeze 1 lb servings in freezer bags. Still have some from August when I made that brisket. There are loads of YouTube videos on smoking meat and brisket. Search for Aaron Franklin, he’s the bees knees. A lot of the others are just fat yahoos with a video camera.

• Haha 1