Vitamin D3

Dirtyhip

I am increasing my intake of this.  I get:  400 IU in a multi, 1000 IU x 2 in my calcium pill, and one more 1000 IU in a D3 pill

3400 IU daily + whatever I get with the sun and food.

MSers tend to need this.  I don't think that adding 1000 more will hurt me.  I hear that you have to get much much more for a toxicity.  Maybe, if I am out riding in the sun all day long, I won't take the additional 1000.  My goal is no more attacks.  NONE!  

I also take a semi high dose of fishy oil almost daily.  Sometimes, I forget to take my supplements.

Trying to be ahead of the disease, all the time. 

I just started up again...I was off most of the summer...I am doing (or trying to do) 5000 units 5 days a week.  I will increase that to about 10000 units sometime in October thru oh...March when I will go down to 5000 for another month....   seems like 50,000 units a week in the winter months keeps me in a good range. 

I just started up again...I was off most of the summer...I am doing (or trying to do) 5000 units 5 days a week.  I will increase that to about 10000 units sometime in October thru oh...March when I will go down to 5000 for another month....   seems like 50,000 units a week in the winter months keeps me in a good range. 

Wow. That seems like a lot.

I spend a lot of time outside, so I am certain I get some out there in this sunny place.

My D was as low as 13 when tested...Seems like the last 5 years I have been trying to "get it right" as far as how much I need.  I know if it goes too low...I start to itch on my neck (this has happened 3 times now)...once the level goes up...the itching goes away...strange...and I'm not even sure it is an official symptom of low D.  2 years ago I was doing a bit more...and my level got on the high side...so...that is where I went to this routine...I am hoping it helps...and that the next time we draw my D...it is in an okay spot.

Never had mine tested.  Perhaps I should.

Down in the sunny south you are likely fine. It's particularly an issue for NW folks because there's a lot less sun get Vitamin D from. I  never heard of it as an issue until I moved out here.

Trying to be ahead of the disease, all the time. 

keep it up!

At my physical two years ago almost everything was fine - my Vit. D level was low.  Been taking 2000 IU a day since.  This morning I reached for the bottle and it was empty - apparently I took the last one yesterday.  Funny that this thread should come up today.

oh, and I suppose it's time for another physical.

From Web MD:   http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-929-vitamin%20d.aspx?activeingredientid=929&activeingredientname=vitamin%20d

Vitamin D is LIKELY SAFE when taken by mouth in recommended amounts. Most people do not commonly experience side effects with vitamin D, unless too much is taken. Some side effects of taking too much vitamin D include weakness, fatigue, sleepiness, headache, loss of appetite, dry mouth, metallic taste, nausea, vomiting, and others.

Taking vitamin D for long periods of time in doses higher than 4000 units per day is POSSIBLY UNSAFE and may cause excessively high levels of calcium in the blood. However, much higher doses are often needed for the short-term treatment of vitamin D deficiency. This type of treatment should be done under the supervision of a healthcare provider.

Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Vitamin D is LIKELY SAFE during pregnancy and breast-feeding when used in daily amounts below 4000 units. Do not use higher doses. Using higher doses might cause serious harm to the infant.

Kidney disease: Vitamin D may increase calcium levels and increase the risk of “hardening of the arteries” in people with serious kidney disease. This must be balanced with the need to prevent renal osteodystrophy, a bone disease that occurs when the kidneys fail to maintain the proper levels of calcium and phosphorus in the blood. Calcium levels should be monitored carefully in people with kidney disease.

High levels of calcium in the blood: Taking vitamin D could make this condition worse.

“Hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis): Taking vitamin D could make this condition worse.

Sarcoidosis: Vitamin D may increase calcium levels in people with sarcoidosis. This could lead to kidney stones and other problems. Use vitamin D cautiously.

Histoplasmosis: Vitamin D may increase calcium levels in people with histoplasmosis. This could lead to kidney stones and other problems. Use vitamin D cautiously.

Over-active parathyroid gland (hyperparathyroidism): Vitamin D may increase calcium levels in people with hyperparathyroidism. Use vitamin D cautiously.

Lymphoma: Vitamin D may increase calcium levels in people with lymphoma. This could lead to kidney stones and other problems. Use vitamin D cautiously.

Down in the sunny south you are likely fine. It's particularly an issue for NW folks because there's a lot less sun get Vitamin D from. I  never heard of it as an issue until I moved out here.

Yeah, but it's so damn stinkin' hot and humid that you don't want to go outside that much.  I take D most days, but it depends on my exposure.  If no sun, 2000 units: significant sun, zero units.

Oh boy, more health concerns to think about.  I get a lot of sun exposure but I also use a lot of sunblock.  I bought sunblock by the case this year and use it every day.  I hate sunblock but I hate skin cancer more.  I wonder how much vitamin D I get from the sun when I'm covered with sun block?  I have lymphomas in my neck so I guess I shouldn't take vitamin D supplements.