Ubuntu Trusty Tahr

goldendesign

Just went with a new install today. So far not a huge difference between 12.04

Spent quite a bit of time in the terminal getting things situated. The initial install was glaringly slow to load everything, sound and graphics drivers didn't integrate as expected.

I think half the fun of a new OS (or an upgrade of one) is the thrill of diving into its guts and brazenly tossing around sudo command lines.

Still no damn audio yet. But I shall get to the bottom of it.

because he's still a jeweler ;)

All that glisters is not gold;
Often have you heard that told:
Many a man his life hath sold
But my outside to behold:
Gilded tombs do worms enfold.
Had you been as wise as bold,
Young in limbs, in judgement old
Your answer had not been inscroll'd
Fare you well, your suit is cold.

All that glisters is not gold;
Often have you heard that told:
Many a man his life hath sold
But my outside to behold:
Gilded tombs do worms enfold.
Had you been as wise as bold,
Young in limbs, in judgement old
Your answer had not been inscroll'd
Fare you well, your suit is cold.

That's actually part of the install. You chant that over your server until a miracle happens and the OS binds to your network card

I used Linux a little bit off and on. I remember it was a bitch getting wifi to work.  I just never really 'connected' with Ubuntu. I played around with a few different distributions and found that I really liked Debian much better. To each their own.

I found Ubuntu to be kinda buggy. I'd heard that Ubuntu was based from Debian and was much more loose about accepting changes, so it tended to be much more buggy. Debian moved very slowly, but was much more likely to wait until changes were solid before accepting them and pushing them out.

To each their own.

I used Linux a little bit off and on. I remember it was a bitch getting wifi to work.  I just never really 'connected' with Ubuntu. I played around with a few different distributions and found that I really liked Debian much better. To each their own.

I found Ubuntu to be kinda buggy. I'd heard that Ubuntu was based from Debian and was much more loose about accepting changes, so it tended to be much more buggy. Debian moved very slowly, but was much more likely to wait until changes were solid before accepting them and pushing them out.

To each their own.

First few iterations I used were quite buggy. Prone to problems with drivers and such. Now though it is such a simple installation, preloaded with nice software packs, intuitive to use. Also if the terminal line is your thing, I only can dable, then the power of Linux is a few keyboard strokes away.

M$ just kept killing me with their OS lately. I has a dreamspark version of 7 that they required for me to update to 8 to continue to use the fun free student software packs. I did and lost everything. Had a head crash harddrive failure had to plug in another hard drive and try again. Crashed again. Same error. This made me suspecious, so I jacked my HDD into another computer only to find them fine, corrupted yes but toast? No. I reverted to my official copy of 7 for a full install and it crashed twice before actually installing. Once it installed I got an error that my copy was invalid. After days of dealiong with M$ to get it resolved I downloaded a pirated copy of 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 installed both with very minor issues. Loved 12.04 enough to uninstall the dual boot 7.

If I need M$ I use my 8 loaded laptop. 

First few iterations I used were quite buggy. Prone to problems with drivers and such. Now though it is such a simple installation, preloaded with nice software packs, intuitive to use. Also if the terminal line is your thing, I only can dable, then the power of Linux is a few keyboard strokes away.

M$ just kept killing me with their OS lately. I has a dreamspark version of 7 that they required for me to update to 8 to continue to use the fun free student software packs. I did and lost everything. Had a head crash harddrive failure had to plug in another hard drive and try again. Crashed again. Same error. This made me suspecious, so I jacked my HDD into another computer only to find them fine, corrupted yes but toast? No. I reverted to my official copy of 7 for a full install and it crashed twice before actually installing. Once it installed I got an error that my copy was invalid. After days of dealiong with M$ to get it resolved I downloaded a pirated copy of 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 installed both with very minor issues. Loved 12.04 enough to uninstall the dual boot 7.

If I need M$ I use my 8 loaded laptop. 

Sounds to me like the problem was this "dreamspark" version of 7. Whatever that is. There are a lot of vendor versions out there that they bundle their own junk in it that can screw things up. Not that I'm saying MS OS is perfect....I don't like 8+ any more than the next guy. I'm still using Win7 server on  my two work machines.

I also run DD-WRT on my routers at home.

Couch

I was looking at that the other day. I have been meaning to upgrade my network at home but wanted usb 3.0 and maybe eSATA for options of setting up a media file system on another HDD on the network. Looked at this http://store.linksys.com/Linksys-WRT1900AC-Open-Source-Wireless-Router_stcVVproductId158014980VVcatId551966VVviewprod.htm

I love linksys most of the time but seems a tad pricey.

I haven't looked that in depth and as of yet have always used the stock firmware on routers.

What am I missing out on and do I need it? Or is it something just fun to poke around with?

I was looking at that the other day. I have been meaning to upgrade my network at home but wanted usb 3.0 and maybe eSATA for options of setting up a media file system on another HDD on the network. Looked at this http://store.linksys.com/Linksys-WRT1900AC-Open-Source-Wireless-Router_stcVVproductId158014980VVcatId551966VVviewprod.htm

I love linksys most of the time but seems a tad pricey.

I haven't looked that in depth and as of yet have always used the stock firmware on routers.

What am I missing out on and do I need it? Or is it something just fun to poke around with?

Look into a TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300 Home Router.  It's twenty bucks on Amazon and takes to DD-WRT.  There is a new firmware out for the version 9 router.

With that said, I've noticed alot of the linksys systems are not supported by DD-WRT.  However, DD-WRT will open up more functionality alot of times with routers.  Bridging, more advanced routing and a ton of other functionality.   I know exactly what my CPU is doing, what is in memory and I even have the option to browse out and find out more about my wireless neighborhood.  There are still a bunch of other tools I haven't had a chance to  look at yet.  

Couch