Cargo Cages

Razors Edge

I noticed a 4 bolt cargo cage on BikeRumor from Tailfin.  How does that work concerning mounting to a bike? Are four bolts "normal" on any bike? Or is it more for adjustability - use any two (or three) bolt holes which allows it to be up higher or lower depending on which set of holes are used? 

@dennis - does only using two bolts on a three or this four bolt-hole cargo cage impact its overall load capacity or durability? I would think, if you have the three bolt holes, using all three would make sense, but is it a requirement?

image.png.60b69d387e731749e548c56d60e7b165.png

• Heart 1

I have the original Salsa Anything Cages. They've held up for a decade so I have never bothered switching to anything else. I have Salsa straps, Surly junk straps, and Voile straps. It's good to have shit to bail you out when things go wrong in the middle of nowhere. Kind of like carrying a jacket and a hat in the backcountry. You want to be prepared like a boy scout.  

It's cool that companies are making stuff for bikepacking or just hauling. Every new idea is stronger or lighter or more innovative. With my Fargo, it has a carbon fork without mounts so I used some old tube and gorilla tape. It's worked for a couple of years now and I take that bike offroad and down shitty FS roads. 

https://bikepacking.com/gear/tailfin-cargo-cage-review/

• Awesome 1

15 hours ago, dennis said:

With my Fargo, it has a carbon fork without mounts so I used some old tube and gorilla tape. It's worked for a couple of years now and I take that bike offroad and down shitty FS roads. 

So you think, using just two bolts to mount a three (or four) holed cage is "normal" or fine?  It seems like it would be - especially with some lighter items.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

So you think, using just two bolts to mount a three (or four) holed cage is "normal" or fine?  It seems like it would be - especially with some lighter items.

Yes, depending on what you are carrying. I have the old style cage on the left. Mostly now I use water bottle cages on my fork because I have a frame bag. The cages are unlikely to fall off, but the items could. You have to strap them down securely.

Guitar Ted Productions: Salsa Cycles Anything Cage HD: A Review

1123191206.jpg

1 hour ago, dennis said:

Mostly now I use water bottle cages on my fork

That's what I use mine for now - mainly because 4 bottles is nice on a ride :)  But on an "adventure", I could definitely see using those extra mounting options for other things and maybe using the spot on the bottom of the down tube as extra water spot (or looks like you use it for a storage container).

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

That's what I use mine for now - mainly because 4 bottles is nice on a ride :)  But on an "adventure", I could definitely see using those extra mounting options for other things and maybe using the spot on the bottom of the down tube as extra water spot (or looks like you use it for a storage container).

I use the underside one for water, stove fuel, or that toolkit.

Personally, I wish every rigid fork sold on gravel bikes or any bike that cold be used for bikepacking came with three pack mounts. I had them installed on my fatbike. Salsa has been out in front on this. I think all of their forks have them standard as well as underside downtube mounts. I use those things constantly. Even my road bike has them.

Standard KEG (WHITE)

1015171556a.jpg

A story about the development of the anything cage. I think I bought my first one in 2011 when they first came out.

Sean is a cool guy and very talented rider. I've ridden more than one bike he has designed and own one. We bikepacked together quite a few years ago.

https://salsacycles.com/culture/product_process_the_anything_cage_hd?utm_source=Salsa+Cycles&utm_campaign=458f9f5e21-lbdf35-12-18-20-751850&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b4e2b47b9f-458f9f5e21-26244775&mc_cid=458f9f5e21&mc_eid=ce4ed87622