Carbon hoops ??

Dirtyhip

What do you people think about the Chinese Carbonal rims?  Different sticker and a better price for basically the exact same product as a Roval.    

I am hesitant, because I am concerned of lack of support if I have problems with them.  

It's tought in a bike family.  You have to buy two of everything.  Gets expensive.

Most of our bike shit is made over there anyway, Sox. Light Bicycle is another option to Carbonal. I have decent reviews.

You must have more expendable cash than I do. ;)

do a little more research on the subject. Roadbikereview.com has a few very lengthy threads on the topic, so I'm pretty sure mountainbikereview.com will have some as well.

Not all carbon fiber is the same, and the cheap stuff is junk.

Don't take my word for it, do some research. UTFG.

do a little more research on the subject. Roadbikereview.com has a few very lengthy threads on the topic, so I'm pretty sure mountainbikereview.com will have some as well.

Not all carbon fiber is the same, and the cheap stuff is junk.

Don't take my word for it, do some research. UTFG.

I have been.  K was leaning this way, because he was pretty convinced they are the same product with a different sticker.

Eh, maybe I will get him the nice rovals for his birthday and I can wait for mine until our anniversary date. 

The better carbon stuff comes out of Taiwan, not China. Some people have had ok luck with the cheap stuff, but I've seen my share of issues. Quality control is not the greatest. I've seen cracks develop around spokebeds and brake track delaminations on several occasions. Wheels are not something to cut cost on. Just remember, your life is riding on them when you go for those QOMs...

The better carbon stuff comes out of Taiwan, not China. Some people have had ok luck with the cheap stuff, but I've seen my share of issues. Quality control is not the greatest. I've seen cracks develop around spokebeds and brake track delaminations on several occasions. Wheels are not something to cut cost on. Just remember, your life is riding on them when you go for those QOMs...

you didn't even mention the warranty problems that occur when trying to get the replaced.

Even if Specialized/Roval was using cheap carbon hoops, they stand behind every product they sell. The Chinese companies don't.

you didn't even mention the warranty problems that occur when trying to get the replaced.

Even if Specialized/Roval was using cheap carbon hoops, they stand behind every product they sell. The Chinese companies don't.

Yup, and it can be really hard to chase the warranty stuff down from a hospital bed...

I mentioned that in my second sentence at the top.  Support!

OK, I am convinced.  I need $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Just because I'm curious, why carbon wheels?

Because they roll. Those babies roll fast.

If you are going to lighten up something on your bike, for speed, there are two things that make a huge difference:  Your fat self and light wheels. I already lost the weight, now I want wheels.

My frame is carbon, my bars are carbon, my seat rails are ti,  my tires are kevlar bead, and now I want light wheels. I might get a thompson masterpiece dropper seat in time too.  I really love my bicycle. 

Because they roll. Those babies roll fast.

If you are going to lighten up something on your bike, for speed, there are two things that make a huge difference:  Your fat self and light wheels. I already lost the weight, now I want wheels.

My frame is carbon, my bars are carbon, my seat rails are ti,  my tires are kevlar bead, and now I want light wheels. I might get a thompson masterpiece dropper seat in time too.  I really love my bicycle.

Whatever works for ya.

yeah, but once you figure in loss of income due to medical leave, you actually save money by going with the Rovals.

BTW, you do realize these won't make you any faster, right?

Shush, You.  I will feel faster.  HAHA

They will have less drag.  You have to admit that.

Unless your wheels are absolute crap, poorly maintained, and as old as Nate, the only difference you'll notice is in your head. ;)

Dude, that is everything.  My head is the thing that makes me ride fast.  Positive thoughts and love.  

I love the Traverse SLs, and I think I am getting those.

If EP is still 50% off MSRP, those are pretty damn cheap. No way would I buy some generic Chinese hoops just to save a couple hundred$.

The chinese will find ways to take something round and find corners to cut.  Btw, why do you have such a chick hard-on for Roval wheels?  I don't know that much about them, is why I am wondering.