Arrowhead

dinneR

This is old, but it just showed up in my inbox this week. The 2013 Arrowhead 135. It snowed for 12 hours. If you look closely, I pedal by around the 2:40 mark. I met another rider somewhere between checkpoint 1 & 2. We camped together around mile 88. We've been friends ever since.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

14 hours ago, dennis said:

This is old, but it just showed up in my inbox this week. The 2013 Arrowhead 135. It snowed for 12 hours. If you look closely, I pedal by around the 2:40 mark. I met another rider somewhere between checkpoint 1 & 2. We camped together around mile 88. We've been friends ever since.

Have you done it again since 2013?  That’s so freaking gnarly... I remember tracking you one year but it doesn’t seem like 7 years ago!?!   

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Have you done it again since 2013?  That’s so freaking gnarly... I remember tracking you one year but it doesn’t seem like 7 years ago!?!   

I did it four times, 2013-2016, two finishes, two DNFs. One of these years, I might go back and do it again. I have a bunch of friends that I would see at that race. My friend from that race comes out here once or twice a year to race.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I'd be DNETAI - Did Not Even Think About It, much less consider making four attempts...

Your are hard core crazy, Dennis! 

The person who made the movie interviewed me and asked why do people take on these endeavors? I told him we all have an off switch, some people just can't find theirs. 

My GF is way more hardcore. She soloed Prodigal Son in Zion. It took her two days so she anchored in and slept on the wall. I think El Capitan took three days so she spent two nights sleeping on the wall. She rescued a guy on the Grand Teton. He fell 100 ft. She kept him alive until the helicopter arrived. Then she had to climb back up and get her clients and bring them down. 

On 12/20/2020 at 4:27 PM, dennis said:

I did it four times, 2013-2016, two finishes, two DNFs. One of these years, I might go back and do it again. I have a bunch of friends that I would see at that race. My friend from that race comes out here once or twice a year to race.

Which year was the frozen axle grease one for the old LF poster dude? 

Definitely not my wheelhouse, but fun to watch for sure, and given proper prep, maybe not totally nutso.

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Which year was the frozen axle grease one for the old LF poster dude? 

Definitely not my wheelhouse, but fun to watch for sure, and given proper prep, maybe not totally nutso.

2014. It was -40. Mittens had his rear hub freeze within the first mile. Makes a strong case for the Surly Pugsley. You could swap wheels and carry on. It was crazy cold. My computer quit before the start. Phones wouldn't work. A number of people were pulled for frostbite.

• Heart 1