I just wasted over 130 hours of my life playing a Japanese RPG video game on my PS4 and it was...

Dottleshead
Go to solution Solved by Dottleshead,

... amazing.  I'm happy as hell to have my life back but Persona 5 Royal's masterstroke is it's character development and the self-reflection of the world we live in.  Very few video games have made me so intrigued about the story line while leaving open ended questions about human desires, ambitions, societies, and our individual story lines.  Anyway, you get a lot of bang for your buck here and I almost missed it after spending about 9 months on my PS4 hard drive because I thought it was some cheesy high school throwback in gaming -- or so I was lead to believe after only playing the first 15 minutes.  Plus the turn style combat initially didn't appeal to me. Boy was I wrong.  I think I bought it on sale for like $20 and it was worth every penny. If I had know I was going to like it that much, I would have gladly paid the regular $60 for it. 

It's the only game I've ever played where I had to decide how I was going to spend my time and actually sit in class, take in a lecture, study, and get tested on it in game. Or pickup a crossword puzzle and get rewarded for solving it. Or work various jobs and get paid in a city full of life. Or increase my character skills by reading a book on the subway.  Dare I say I learned some things.  It was not easy.  Spoiler:  Don't play this game if you don't like coffee, curry, and/or ramen.

But the true sign of excellence, I think, is at no time during that 130 hours playing did I feel alone or empty. And the best part? I think it may have triggered some inspiration. Egad. Did I just say that? I did. It's a game of ethics and taking the higher road.

• Heart 2

that's a lot of hours :blink: its easy to fall into the gaming zone. I haven't played anything in a couple years (PC), but time does fly by. I game w/ no light in the room, so if its daylight, I'd close the blinds.  Just the dim light of my keyboard and bias lighting. No awareness of time :D

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

So how long did it take you to build up 130 hours of game time?

I'm guessing like 2 weeks?  Ten days?  When I'm not working, I'm pretty much trapped  upin a 2 bedroom environment and during the winter months here, it doesn't make much sense to go outdoors. And let me be honest -- sitting on my phat arse doing sedentary activities during the covid era is kind of winning out.  My wife often goes downstairs to be with her mother -- and I'd rather escape that deal with that nightly.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'm guessing like 2 weeks?  Ten days?  When I'm not working, I'm pretty much trapped  upin a 2 bedroom environment and during the winter months here, it doesn't make much sense to go outdoors. And let me be honest -- sitting on my phat arse doing sedentary activities during the covid era is kind of winning out.  My wife often goes downstairs to be with her mother -- and I'd rather escape that deal with that nightly.

Thanks.  I was just curious, as I have never been a gamer so did not really know how all encompassing they could be.

On 12/21/2020 at 7:45 AM, Dottles said:

I think I bought it on sale for like $20 and it was worth every penny. If I had know I was going to like it that much, I would have gladly paid the regular $60 for it. 

$20 or $60 for 130 hours of entertainment is a good bang for your buck.  Folks pay $20 for a two hour Marvel movie, and that's time and $$$ you'll never get back!

17 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Never played on an x-box either.

Well, Nintendo systems are more popular too, so there is no shame in just being a Nintendo guy (I guess).  You go straight to the Switch?  Or are you a true Nintendo-head? Probably rocked the full progression from Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) -> Super NES -> Gameboy & Gamecube -> DS -> Wii -> Switch?!?!?   

Awesome!

For what very llimited gaming i did, it was VIC-20 and computers later.  The daughters had a Nintendo that they used for a short time.  But our favourite was Road Rash on the computer.  Also Wacky Wheels where you race lawnmowers and shoot hedgehogs. :D I also got into Superbike 2001 for a while, but Road Rash was much more fun because of being able to kick the guy next to you. :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

For what very llimited gaming i did, it was VIC-20 and computers later.  The daughters had a Nintendo that they used for a short time.  But our favourite was Road Rash on the computer.  Also Wacky Wheels where you race lawnmowers and shoot hedgehogs. :D I also got into Superbike 2001 for a while, but Road Rash was much more fun because of being able to kick the guy next to you. :D

• Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Well, Nintendo systems are more popular too, so there is no shame in just being a Nintendo guy (I guess).  You go straight to the Switch?  Or are you a true Nintendo-head? Probably rocked the full progression from Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) -> Super NES -> Gameboy & Gamecube -> DS -> Wii -> Switch?!?!?   

Awesome!

No gaming, at all really. The last game I played was Wolfenstein way back in the day on an old pc. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Zealot said:

No gaming, at all really. The last game I played was Wolfenstein way back in the day on an old pc. 

Wolfenstein was the game that got me back into video games.  But then I thought I was too old to be playing them -- so I stopped for about 20 years.  I then went to work for the company I'm at and other guys my age were playing them and told me I had the wrong attitude about gaming.  And these are guys you'd never know where computer guys.  So then I gave the new gaming consoles a try.  Holy crap!  They'd made a lot of progress since the Wolfenstein days.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

Wolfenstein was the game that got me back into video games.  But then I thought I was too old to be playing them -- so I stopped for about 20 years.  I then went to work for the company I'm at and other guys my age were playing them and told me I had the wrong attitude about gaming.  And these are guys you'd never know where computer guys.  So then I gave the new gaming consoles a try.  Holy crap!  They'd made a lot of progress since the Wolfenstein days.

Yeah, my son is a pretty big gamer. He’s 30 now, but has been playing since his teens. He’s tried to get me into it. But I’ve a pretty addictive personality.  Id spend wayyyy too much time and money if I got into it. So, I don’t. 

1 minute ago, Zealot said:

Yeah, my son is a pretty big gamer. He’s 30 now, but has been playing since his teens. He’s tried to get me into it. But I’ve a pretty addictive personality.  Id spend wayyyy too much time and money if I got into it. So, I don’t. 

Smart.  I display similar traits.  I'm an all in type of guy.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Yeah, I resemble that remark, except for the gaming son part.  I waste all my time here. I 'spose mostly because it is easy and I am a lazy bastard.  But inertia gets a hold on me very easily.

• Heart 1