Alright you Millenial Savages....

Nate
Go to solution Solved by jsharr,

time for you to pull your own weight around here. :angry:

I need your help. That means I need you to do something for somebody other than yourself and there's no trophies involved

You just get the satisfaction of proving me wrong all the times I said you were completely useless

got it?

Good!

now here's what I need....

I have to play a modern rock and roll jam session soon and the last band that made any impact on how I play rock was Tool, and those guys are applying for AARP by now

So I need to know some bands to check out

Here's the catch: they actually have to play instruments. A singer that is all production and videos won't give me any ideas to play on the guitar

do you kids even play instruments anymore, or is it all iPads now?

anyway...make with some suggestions

don't make me turn the hose on you kids

I appreciate the help, Mr Silly, but we're about the same age. I listened to Joe Jackson a lot in the 80s

Go figure...only hard working guys from our generation are even awake and at work goofing off this time of the morning

those spoiled kids are still asleep or flipping Egg McMuffins for the breakfast rush

You have an interesting approach. You insult and alienate almost everyone and then demand their help.

those little bastards need to learn that life isn't all trophies and fru-fru crapolla. The sooner they learn that, the better off they will be

When you say "modern rock" are you looking for the kinds of hugely popular bands that are currently filling arenas?  or just examples of recent rock music?  It sounds like you're not necessarily looking for specific songs that a random group of people are likely to know.  

These bands are not the ones filling stadiums, but hopefully it at least gives you some ideas.  I'll try to think of more if I can.  (and - hey, I've been up since 5:30)

Franz Ferdinand, "Bullet" (2013)

Frank Turner, "Four Simple Words" (2013) - if you're impatient for the rawk then skip to 1:25.  a little rated-R language in here 

Against Me!, "Transgender Dysphoria Blues" (2014) - a lot of R-rated language in here including a C-word - beware.  (the album is autobiographical as suggested by the title)

The Hold Steady – “Rock Problems” (2010) - they have a bit of a ‘classic rock’ style

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – “Shadow People” (2014) – OK, this maybe isn’t helpful but I'm including it because it's awesome.  Listen to Mike Campbell’s solo at 3:15

time for you to pull your own weight around here. :angry:

I need your help. That means I need you to do something for somebody other than yourself and there's no trophies involved

I'm out.   ;)

Seriously, I sold my Bass and have zero interest in playing music anymore. I wasn't that great anyway,

Trenton, thanks! that's the sort of thing I was looking for

I liked Frank Turner a lot. I'll check them out some more.

Its no wonder Hold Steady has a classic rock sound, those guys are all my age :D

• Heart 1

I really try to let it go, but I can't stand it when I hear people say this.  The good stuff maybe isn't saturating the airwaves the way it used to, but whatever it is that you like, it's out there, I promise.

Allow me to rephrase what I said for those who are sort of simple minded. 

Most of the newer music out there now sucks.

the thing si that music hasn't evolved since I checked out over 10 years ago.

If you lived in a cave from 1958 to 1968, music changed dramatically

same if you put your head in the sand in 1972 and checked back in 1982

but the last band I got hip to was a band out of Chicago area (I think) called Hum. That was in 2002

There just isn't any progression from where things were in 1995 until now, and we're talking 20 years

I never thought I'd see pop music stagnate like that ever

the thing si that music hasn't evolved since I checked out over 10 years ago.

If you lived in a cave from 1958 to 1968, music changed dramatically

same if you put your head in the sand in 1972 and checked back in 1982

but the last band I got hip to was a band out of Chicago area (I think) called Hum. That was in 2002

There just isn't any progression from where things were in 1995 until now, and we're talking 20 years

I never thought I'd see pop music stagnate like that ever

Pop music is more about visuals now.  Prior to MTV, the music at least had to be musical.  Now, it's just a pretty face in a video for most of the stuff out there (not all of it of course). 

so one thing I notice is that the sound seems to be the crisp single coil sound with a bit of grit, but not searing distortion, and a bit of chorus/compression to thicken the note, but not too much

its almost a mid 80s sort of sound, which is good because I've got the rig for that sort of noise

Its nice to hear guys taking solos again, too. One thing I noticed with Tool and bands with that format is that the band all just played together and the whole was greater than the sum of the parts. there wasn't anybody taking solos in the classic sense

I don't know what a millennial is, but I don't think I am one.

If you don't know what a millennial is, you're too old to be one!!!

And I'm with DH on this one.  If I can't get a participation trophy, you can just go suck a rotten egg.

And as the SquareFellow mentioned, it always helps to throw a few insults out there before you ask for help.

I love this song - some great guitar work in there.  

however the millennials weren't even born yet when this was released (1988).

That is how Nate can fool them.  He can tell them this is some new Indie band from some country outside the America, like Canada or Dakota.

• Heart 1

yea, I'm not looking for songs to cover. I'm looking more for what people these days are doing with guitars. More like looking for riffs and anything that sounds different than the last time I checked

also for what sort of sound people are using

yea, I'm not looking for songs to cover. I'm looking more for what people these days are doing with guitars. More like looking for riffs and anything that sounds different than the last time I checked

also for what sort of sound people are using

I hear there's a new sound out in the NW...I think they call it grunge. 

I'm looking more for what people these days are doing with guitars.... also for what sort of sound people are using

If you look hard enough you'll still find almost everything - clean/distorted, coils/humbuckers, etc.  As long as you can get reaonably close and you have some variability you should be fine.

When is this jam again?  And is this a group that you can discuss/coordinate with beforehand?

I play with a group of friends and I feel like a big shot hauling in my Les Paul, my Telecaster and my acoustic.  As if I can play well.  (But I do use them all, generally)  I think/hope we are playing Saturday and I can't wait.

Allow me to rephrase what I said for those who are sort of simple minded. 

Most of the newer music out there now sucks.

Actually, there is some good music out there that is new.  That said, there is so much more to wade through to find it because the barriers to entry are so low these days, anybody with a computer can slap something together.  I don't have the energy to wade through all that crap these days, and if I did, I just don't have the time.

Nate, I think I am older than you, so I don't have much that you can play that isn't overproduced or done on electric something or others with a screen.

When is this jam again?  And is this a group that you can discuss/coordinate with beforehand?

well, we're trying to work out everybody's schedule right now. Maybe next week, maybe in September when I'm back from Washington state

I'm playing with some freinds. Twin brothers. One plays bass the other is a drummer. They are one of the best rhythm sections in town, so its a treat to have them asking me to jam

This is why I picked up the strat copy last week

I dragged the PA equipment out last weekend and set up the board and PA, made space for the drum kit and all that.

I'm working on my electric playing right now, too. I'm really liking the sound I'm getting from my Fender reverb with one of my distortion pedals and a Boss Chorus pedal. The distortion box is a "Blues Driver" pedal that doesn't have the heavy distortion of a heavy metal box, more like the sound of overdriven tubes, so that with a little chorus through a Fender rig is sounding like what I'm going to go with

well, we're trying to work out everybody's schedule right now. Maybe next week, maybe in September when I'm back from Washington state

I'm playing with some freinds. Twin brothers. One plays bass the other is a drummer. They are one of the best rhythm sections in town, so its a treat to have them asking me to jam

This is why I picked up the strat copy last week

I dragged the PA equipment out last weekend and set up the board and PA, made space for the drum kit and all that.

I'm working on my electric playing right now, too. I'm really liking the sound I'm getting from my Fender reverb with one of my distortion pedals and a Boss Chorus pedal. The distortion box is a "Blues Driver" pedal that doesn't have the heavy distortion of a heavy metal box, more like the sound of overdriven tubes, so that with a little chorus through a Fender rig is sounding like what I'm going to go with

And you call DH a hippy?

The distortion box is a "Blues Driver" pedal that doesn't have the heavy distortion of a heavy metal box, more like the sound of overdriven tubes

Sometimes for fun and/or stress-busting I rip into some heavy distortion, but that overdriven-tube sound is what I really love - it works for most of what my friends and I play.