Canyon podcar concept electric pedal-car

dinneR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
17 hours ago, Longjohn said:

But it would be awesome on the bike trails. Hey it has pedals so it’s alowed.

We have some dude who rode an ELF on the trail - it was a pedal-electric hybrid car-ish monstrosity.  We also had a long super-aero recumbent (full body/fairing) that may have been e-assisted.  Both were huge, but I haven't seen the ELF at all since COVID, and much less of the recumbent.  Probably good, since the trails are more crowded now, and they took up a lot of real estate.

When I was riding the rail trail about every day during the cancer challenge I saw some kind of electric vehicle with two people in it, no pedals. I mentioned it to the guy at the visitor center and he told me there were two vehicles that we allow on the trail. Their owners are in their eighties and are local people. They don’t cause trouble and stay out of the way of bikes.

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

When I was riding the rail trail about every day during the cancer challenge I saw some kind of electric vehicle with two people in it, no pedals. I mentioned it to the guy at the visitor center and he told me there were two vehicles that we allow on the trail. Their owners are in their eighties and are local people. They don’t cause trouble and stay out of the way of bikes.

I was saying that to the guy I encountered on my gravel ride the other day - the challenge of balancing those sorts of "non-conforming" vehicles.  On one hand, I REALLY appreciate getting people out of cars and into nature - for recreation, commuting, or just exercise.  If that means e-bikes or the monster ELF above, that's fine...to a degree.  At some point, too many of them ruin things for the rest of us.  If almost everyone is on e-bikes or motorized doodads on a trail, it essentially kills the point of a "trail" and it is now just a road. :(  But folks with infirmities deserve to have fun too.

• Awesome 1