Home 🏠 Thread with pics

Dirtyhip

On 12/31/2020 at 2:36 PM, Dirtyhip said:

Water sleeve is going in today. My husband is so strong. Stem walls are looking good. We will recover when he is done today. 

CD16A794-A684-4AB2-881A-4F05742C4009.jpeg

I didn’t know what water sleeves were so I looked them up. Yours don’t look anything like what I found.

History of water sleeves

Long sleeve dance in China first started appearing during the Zhou Dynasty period (1046 to 256 BCE). However, it was during the Ming Dynasty (1368 to 1644 CE) that water sleeves began to be prominently featured in theaters. Initially, the water sleeves were made of regular cloth. But soon, silk was preferred. In Confucianism, extra-long sleeves are associated with moral conduct. As far as a dancer is concerned, the water sleeves allow them to perform beautiful and enchanting hand movements that would be impossible with just normal sleeves.

“Water sleeves [are] a functional extension of the ordinary sleeves of an actor’s robe, as much as two feet long, and the sweeping pheasant plumes of six to seven feet, worn in pairs and attached to certain headdresses. These [water sleeves] are manipulated while being held between the first and middle fingers of each hand,” author A.C. Scott writes in the International Encyclopedia of Dance, according to Facts and Details.

What_You_Need_To_Know_About_Chinese_Wate Water sleeve movements remind one of flowing, whirling water. (Image: YouTube / Screenshot)

To perform water sleeve movements, dancers are required to move their bodies in an exaggerated way. As such, they need excellent inner strength. Mastering the movement of these sleeves allows a dancer to convey various emotions like joy, sorrow, innocence, sadness, etc., with greater impact, thereby enthralling the audience. Various sleeve gestures are used by performers to convey emotions.

Water sleeves wigwagging in front of a performer’s face indicates that the character is in an enjoyable mood. A hand pulling the water sleeve indicates bowing or politeness. When a hand pulls a water sleeve to cover the face, it signals shyness or sadness. One of the most popular water sleeve dance sequences in the world is depicted in the Chinese movie House of Flying Daggers in which the lead female character repels an attack of stones while dancing with water sleeves.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Mine is hidden by a shrub. I trimmed the shrub back a bit last year so it’s still hidden but I can find it. The wellhead sticking up out of the ground seems to me to make it too easy for someone that doesn’t like you to take the cap off and put something bad down the well. 

I am not concerned about that at all.  They would need a ton of poison, and it would poison many many people.  We are tapped into a deep water source that is quite huge.

The well installers were so pleased with our gpm and water quality.  The owner walked over to us with a huge smile and said "She's a good well, you have a lot of water now."  It blasted out of the ground with such force, I was quite amazed with the amount of water blasting out without any pump mechanisms.  

In regards to the sleeve.  It's the sleeve that will cover the actual water intake line.  The water line doesn't go under the stemwall bare.  There is another pipe around it, a sleeve for the actual water line.  

• Heart 1

The sleeve protects the water pipe from damage. Gravel, rocks, etc. can pierce the water line. The sleeve acts as a barrier to the rocks. Also, foundations move over time. The sleeve should move with the foundation but not influence the water line. If you ever had to dig through a foundation to install a new water line, you would kiss the plumber who originally installed the sleeve as it makes the job very easy.

Obit_Canfield-0ffa2-498-kJ6B--296x370@wp.com.jpg?t=20170517

• Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, donkpow said:

The sleeve protects the water pipe from damage. Gravel, rocks, etc. can pierce the water line. The sleeve acts as a barrier to the rocks. Also, foundations move over time. The sleeve should move with the foundation but not influence the water line. If you ever had to dig through a foundation to install a new water line, you would kiss the plumber who originally installed the sleeve as it makes the job very easy.

Thanks, Donk.

Maybe I should have called it a sleeve for the water pipe, instead of a water sleeve.  

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, donkpow said:

We have those things around here. Actually we have 104 of them and each produces between 1 and 4 million gallons of water a day. All are shielded from view by hundreds of acres of greenspace.

929041510_Screenshot2021-01-05073853.jpg.b185afb7cb86db449b98fa4ecb8614a7.jpg

I see these along the river and never knew what they were.  Thanks.  

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 8:38 AM, donkpow said:

Ralph is your dream girl, eh? :D

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

49 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Forms for concrete flatwork, pour for flatwork, floor systems, walls, truss systems.  I would like to go back out there, but I am cooking up a storm here. Hubby is due home in 2 hours.  

Once that flatwork is done the house will pop.  Blink and they’ll be sheathing the roof

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Once that flatwork is done the house will pop.  Blink and they’ll be sheathing the roof

They brought out stadium lights.  I am thinking they will have our house erected in a week.  It's very small.  The amount of lumber really shocked me.  It doesn't seem like very much.  The truss manufacturer was sniffing around a week or so ago to check out access to the site. 

44 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have no idea what kind of lumber that is.  I assume it is for floor systems.

Floor trusses, used to span distance with the floor without a support beam underneath.  You referred to stem walls.  A true stem wall would have the flatwork poured at the top, creating the base floor that they build off of.  Of they pour where it is now it becomes a crawl space and the walls are called crawl space/foundation walls and the floor is then constructed across the top (using something like floor trusses).

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Floor trusses, used to span distance with the floor without a support beam underneath.  You referred to stem walls.  A true stem wall would have the flatwork poured at the top, creating the base floor that they build off of.  Of they pour where it is now it becomes a crawl space and the walls are called crawl space/foundation walls and the floor is then constructed across the top (using something like floor trusses).

Thank you. 

They installed drainage pipes around the foundation walls. I am very happy we hired this company.  They are taking great care.  It's a pro team for sure.  They have their crew working on this bank building too, and I get jealous when their trucks are at the bank and not our property.  :mellow:  Two people were on site yesterday, and I caught 3 trucks at the new bank building.  <jealousy>

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

A nice sunny day, too.

Always. 300 days of it a year according to our tourism dept.

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

I think that you should set up a webcam for us.  Kinda like @sheep_herder's Miles city cam.  We could keep an eye on them.  You could even give us the contractors cell number and we can text him when he is doing something wrong.  

webcams are beyond my depth of knowledge 

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Do you need vault details?

Haha. I was not sure where you guys were going with that.

In other news, my husband is working on the backhoe.

image.jpg

• Heart 3

The sleeper wall is up.  Now on to the floor trusses.  It will pop from here (unless all the guys are working on the bank).  I never appreciated working on the beams and jacks in the basement.  One we got to the floor joist the lumber started to fly and the nail guns rattled.

Thanks for sharing the pics.  

• Heart 1

On 1/20/2021 at 11:55 AM, Kzoo said:

Of they pour where it is now it becomes a crawl space and the walls are called crawl space/foundation walls and the floor is then constructed across the top (using something like floor trusses).

So...  It looks like DH will have crawl space?   I'm not sure how they will access the area if needed. The foundation walls only has what looks like vents.  That would leave hatch in the floor? 

It looks like a vapor barrier (radon and water?) was in stalled in of the pictures. 

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

So...  It looks like DH will have crawl space?   I'm not sure how they will access the area if needed. The foundation walls only has what looks like vents.  That would leave hatch in the floor? 

It looks like a vapor barrier (radon and water?) was in stalled in of the pictures. 

Code calls for at least 2 inches of concrete on the floor of a crawl space.  We call it a rat barrier.

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

Vapor barrier is partially in, but not complete.  We will have a hatch to get under the home.  Likely in one of the closets.  

51 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Code calls for at least 2 inches of concrete on the floor of a crawl space.  We call it a rat barrier.

That is not code here.  You put down a plastic vapor barrier and call it good.  There is also a layer of plastic that goes just under the insulation. Like the ceiling of the crawl space is plastic, and is stapled under the floor system.  

• Heart 1