Home 🏠 Thread with pics

Dirtyhip

32 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

That house is yuge! You're gonna have to buy a lotta furniture to fill it up  :lol:

looking gud

Shush, you.  Modest home for modest people.  It's 60 sq ft bigger than my current home.  We did what we could afford.  You know how the building market for custom homes is.  Expensive.  Best be prepared to bleed money.

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Shush, you.  Modest home for modest people.  It's 60 sq ft bigger than my current home.  We did what we could afford.  You know how the building market for custom homes is.  Expensive.  Best be prepared to bleed money.

It's just the process. walls up....big. Drywall? Tiny. 

You guys did a good job with a clean layout & IIRC the roof is simple. That cuts way down on waste

28 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

It's just the process. walls up....big. Drywall? Tiny. 

You guys did a good job with a clean layout & IIRC the roof is simple. That cuts way down on waste

Our designer was tasked with rules of minimal cuts, minimal waste and a modest but nice build.  We tried to cut 50 or so sq. feet but he said it woud mean that a sheet of lumber would be cut.  Fine. Go the next length. 

The floor system looks cool.  They sit on end like that.  Our worker said that it makes them lighter and also prevent waste.  

The foreman guy is getting more comfortable with me.  I said I was going to ride out today, but ended up driving.  I had some errands and it is like 20F.  I said "I drove today."  He lasughed and said "I was going to say something, but I thought better of it."  I think he knows my personality already.   Nice man.  Very thorough.  He doesn't move super quickly, but he takes great care.

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

and just to update everyone, I have bought the Mini Monsoon fan after many weeks of thought and planning. :foryou:

$1300 upgrade in better wood for the cabinets and I can have a custom made vent hood.  This will allow a bigger fan box. 

Yay!  I cannot wait to come and visit!

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Oh for goodness sake! :rolleyes:

That's a telephone pole, not a birch tree!  It's even got wires on it, and stuff!

People need power.  People around here like power.  ;)

It's a nice birch.  It was huge to try and plant.  My husband said it was like the biggest tree he thinks we could plant by ourselves, like without a crane or somesuch.

• Heart 1

On 1/25/2021 at 7:55 PM, Dirtyhip said:

The foreman guy is getting more comfortable with me.  I said I was going to ride out today, but ended up driving.  I had some errands and it is like 20F.  I said "I drove today."  He lasughed and said "I was going to say something, but I thought better of it."  I think he knows my personality already.   Nice man.  Very thorough.  He doesn't move super quickly, but he takes great care.

Good qualities to have.  You don't always do things fast by moving faster.  You do things fast by being efficient.  

• Heart 1

On 12/25/2020 at 12:44 PM, Airehead said:

I like having a well over city water. 

It depends where you live. Our County's water is well water.  It is hard and many people have whole-house water filters. The same for people with their own wells. Those who previously had Baltimore City water miss it greatly.  Additionally, Baltimore was the first city in the USA to add fluoride to its water and those of us raised on it, even in our 60's and 70's, mostly have our own teeth compared to our dentured parents.

After WW2,  the county water only ran in Annapolis so the county suburbs close to Baltimore City hooked into the city water lines and still do. Baltimore City water is wonderful!  It comes from big reservoir-lakes fed by streams out of the Appalachians. It is so soft that difficult aquarium killifish can be triggered to lay eggs in it alone: the usual formula is 50% tap water and 50% distilled water, then slowly raise the water temp from 68°F to 75 to simulate Spring rains in their swampy native habitats.

• Heart 1