Home 🏠 Thread with pics

Dirtyhip

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You guys don't understand.

It was pouring at lunch.  My shoes are soaked.  HAHA!

I would have turned back but didn't wish to disappoint after the whole poll thing.  My hands are very cold and I underestimated how muddy the site was.

We appreciate you commitment to the cause.

• Heart 1

On 4/16/2021 at 3:54 PM, Dottles said:

It's probably a good thing you posted this because you have a record of your experience.  Once you move in, you'll soon forget or have trouble remembering what it looked like or the effort required to make it happen.

I agree that @Dirtyhip (and @MickinMD) should have taken a LOT of pictures, especially of all of the open interior walls, ceilings, etc.  before the drywall was installed.  Knowing where all of the pipe, wires, heating ducts, A/C refrigerant piping, etc... is a good thing.   If there ever are 'issues' years from now, knowing where stuff is in the ceilings, walls floors, etc.. could make things easier.

The pictures I took already helped me over the last winter.   The local deer decided my evergreen trees looked good enough to eat.  I installed fence posts and with nylon rope to prevent the deer from reaching my trees.    I needed to know where an underground conduit was before I could install a fence post.  I didn't want to pound a post thru the frost and pipe and kill my driveway lighting.   I had a picture before the conduit was backfilled.  :D  I knew exactly where that conduit was located. 

• Heart 2

• 3 weeks later...

@MickinMD

our power people did not show up this week. We were supposed to see them early in the week. Only 2 of our three transom windows showed up. Not sure where the third one is.

slightly peeved about the power company not showing up at all this week. I need power so we can get water.

Trying not to stress here. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

23 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Overhead power?  How come that’s not buried service?

More expensive. No trees are in the way so overhead was fine for us. All the neighborhood is overhead so it was not a big deal for us to do it this way and keep the costs down.

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

DBC87644-EC6A-452E-BFA7-098CC80C82DB.jpeg

Your contractor is probably going to do this anyway, but I'd suggest you make sure he's going to use concrete 'chairs' to pick the wire mesh off the dirt subfloor.  The purpose of wire mesh is to strengthen the concrete, but to do so the concrete has to be poured around the mesh, not just rest on top of it.  It defeats the purpose of the mesh if it's resting on the gravel and not lifted up and embedded in the concrete slab.  If poured with the mesh resting on the gravel, the slab is much more likely to crack.

One version of a 'chair'

image.png.47bad1d1baf81890375704d3053b96df.png

General installation - you can see how it lifts the mesh so the concrete can go under, around, and above the mesh:

image.png.c94efa9dfade316100c092d19fc3228a.png

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Your contractor is probably going to do this anyway, but I'd suggest you make sure he's going to use concrete 'chairs' to pick the wire mesh off the dirt subfloor.  The purpose of wire mesh is to strengthen the concrete, but to do so the concrete has to be poured around the mesh, not just rest on top of it.  It defeats the purpose of the mesh if it's resting on the gravel and not lifted up and embedded in the concrete slab.  If poured with the mesh resting on the gravel, the slab is much more likely to crack.

One version of a 'chair'

General installation - you can see how it lifts the mesh so the concrete can go under, around, and above the mesh:

I saw that today and wondered about this.  Thanks.  

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

One version of a 'chair'

I’ve seen them use a shovel during the pour to leverage the rewire up into the concrete. It does raise the wire but not like chairs.

34 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

More expensive. No trees are in the way so overhead was fine for us. All the neighborhood is overhead so it was not a big deal for us to do it this way and keep the costs down.

Makes sense.

10 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Makes sense.

The pole we were required to install is very close to the home.

Thanks for not busting my chops about it.  After the power bill was 5000 just to bring in the power to the home, I was like ... we will go the cheaper route.  :D

Interesting how this works with power.  They are gangsters.  Homeowners pay for the power grid.   

If you want solar, they require you to sell them back power at basically nothing.  Unless you want a complete off grid battery back up style solar system, they have you by the throat.

On 5/7/2021 at 7:21 PM, Dirtyhip said:

@MickinMD

our power people did not show up this week. We were supposed to see them early in the week. Only 2 of our three transom windows showed up. Not sure where the third one is.

slightly peeved about the power company not showing up at all this week. I need power so we can get water.

Trying not to stress here. 

I know about trying not to get stressed out.

I keep thinking about former N.Y. Yankee Mickey Rivers who said (paraphrasing). "There's no sense in worrying. If there's a problem I can control, I'll control it. If there's a problem I can't control, worrying isn't going to change anything."

Still, I think I need to worry about whether I'm handling those things I can control the way I should.

40 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

The pole we were required to install is very close to the home.

Thanks for not busting my chops about it.  After the power bill was 5000 just to bring in the power to the home, I was like ... we will go the cheaper route.  :D

Interesting how this works with power.  They are gangsters.  Homeowners pay for the power grid.   

If you want solar, they require you to sell them back power at basically nothing.  Unless you want a complete off grid battery back up style solar system, they have you by the throat.

Same here, if you put power back into the grid you get nothing.  In Germany, they actually pay people more for putting power into the grid than they pay to use it.  That's one reason Germany is so high in % electricity from renewable sources.

8 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Same here, if you put power back into the grid you get nothing.  In Germany, they actually pay people more for putting power into the grid than they pay to use it.  That's one reason Germany is so high in % electricity from renewable sources.

Yeah.  Apparently, we prefer our country to be a giant dumpster fire.  It maddens me.  I would like to see positive changes.

Today, my hubby and I were reading about things they think they have found on Mars.  There is a big push to explore this planet and send crap up there.

My husband and I both think they should spend that money doing things like making a renewable power grid, high speed trains for transporting us and goods, and maybe even invest in our own infrastructure.  I guess those things just are not sexy enough.

• Heart 4

12 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yeah.  Apparently, we prefer our country to be a giant dumpster fire.  It maddens me.  I would like to see positive changes.

Today, my hubby and I were reading about things they think they have found on Mars.  There is a big push to explore this planet and send crap up there.

My husband and I both think they should spend that money doing things like making a renewable power grid, high speed trains for transporting us and goods, and maybe even invest in our own infrastructure.  I guess those things just are not sexy enough.

Agreed.  And I'm amazed at how states are watching fresh water resources vanish while doing nothing about it. instead of the Gov. of Georgia telling people to "pray for rain" and trying to steal part of a Tennessee River with a b.s. border claim that quickly died in court, why not fund Georgia Tech to study how to cheaply desalinate ocean water, more efficiently do crop irrigation (75% of U.S. fresh water use), create an inter-district water grid as exists with electricity, etc.?

On 5/8/2021 at 10:20 PM, Dirtyhip said:

I guess those things just are not sexy enough.

It's not a matter of sexy, it's a matter of economics.

Rail is an effective means of transportation for some things, but its limitations compared to motorized freight are obvious just by looking at where motorized vehicles can go where rail cannot.  High speed rail is more expensive/capital intensive that standard rail service, so the economics are even more difficult to justify.  Of course, any project can be subsidized by the government but even being subsidized high speed rail faces tremendous economic competition from transportation systems that are already in place, more flexible, and less expensive to run.

One of the reasons power companies don't want to pay very much for home produced solar power is that it's not reliable.  Solar and wind power are weather dependent, and they are also grid dependent.  In other words, if the grid goes out the power company can't depend on the capacity of the residential solar panels to help restart.  Those systems are required to have safety systems that take them off line when the grid fails and keep them off line until power is restored. 

While solar panels can offset residential electrical consumption, unfortunately they don't necessarily meet a utility company's primary business objectives of supplying reliable power within rather strict parameters and doing it at enough of a profit to stay in business.  Since the power produced by residential solar power panels holds little value to most power companies, they're not going to pay more than it's worth to them.  Unless of course, they are mandated by regulations to do so.

10 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

It's not a matter of sexy, it's a matter of economics.

Rail is an effective means of transportation for some things, but its limitations compared to motorized freight are obvious just by looking at where motorized vehicles can go where rail cannot.  High speed rail is more expensive/capital intensive that standard rail service, so the economics are even more difficult to justify.  Of course, any project can be subsidized by the government but even being subsidized high speed rail faces tremendous economic competition from transportation systems that are already in place, more flexible, and less expensive to run.

One of the reasons power companies don't want to pay very much for home produced solar power is that it's not reliable.  Solar and wind power are weather dependent, and they are also grid dependent.  In other words, if the grid goes out the power company can't depend on the capacity of the residential solar panels to help restart.  Those systems are required to have safety systems that take them off line when the grid fails and keep them off line until power is restored. 

While solar panels can offset residential electrical consumption, unfortunately they don't necessarily meet a utility company's primary business objectives of supplying reliable power within rather strict parameters and doing it at enough of a profit to stay in business.  Since the power produced by residential solar power panels holds little value to most power companies, they're not going to pay more than it's worth to them.  Unless of course, they are mandated by regulations to do so.

What economic benefit is there for trying to visit this barren planet called Mars?  

My point is that tossing billions, if not trillions into Mars, e would be better served with investing in our own planet.  The only one we can live on.  Maybe invest in cleaning up our ocean.  

• Hugs 1

11 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

If I recall... (it's been a few years, and I was not in this part of the business) we used 'net power' metering for residential solar/wind interconnection customers.   The easy way would explain this...  You buy power at the retail prices.  You sell power into the market at wholesale prices, which are considerably cheaper than retail.

On 5/8/2021 at 8:26 PM, Dirtyhip said:

After the power bill was 5000 just to bring in the power to the home,

Wow... things are expensive in your area.   

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

If I recall... (it's been a few years, and I was not in this part of the business) we used 'net power' metering for residential solar/wind interconnection customers.   The easy way would explain this...  You buy power at the retail prices.  You sell power into the market at wholesale prices, which are considerably cheaper than retail.

Wow... things are expensive in your area.   

We had to buy an entire power pole and a transformer.  Otherwise, it would have been way cheaper.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

We had to buy an entire power pole and a transformer.  Otherwise, it would have been way cheaper.

We always provided transformers for residential customers.  In some rural installations, they may have needed to install pole(s) and their property. 

Which... I thought was a bad idea.  Years later after a storm, and some bokken poles, the customer was out of power for a long time.  They 'assumed' the utility was going to replace the broken pole.   No... it was their pole they get to replace it.  The customer would be pissed... and out of power for days, looking for an electrician who can set poles, etc...  

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

We always provided transformers for residential customers.  In some rural installations, they may have needed to install pole(s) and their property. 

Which... I thought was a bad idea.  Years later after a storm, and some bokken poles, the customer was out of power for a long time.  They 'assumed' the utility was going to replace the broken pole.   No... it was their pole they get to replace it.  The customer would be pissed... and out of power for days, looking for an electrician who can set poles, etc...  

Power company are a bunch of gansters.  You supply the power grid.  

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I have had power run for 2 homes I built.  Both times there was a distance that they were required to provide you as part of their service.  Both time I was under the required distance to charge me.  One required the addition of a transformer.  Payment for addition feet of service did not assume ownership of any part of the line.  That was always on them.  The 3rd time this was all covered by the builder but the pole and transformer was already in the then future front yard and had a transformer.  They simply had to bury about 75 feet of cable to the house and add the meter

14 hours ago, Scrapr said:

I really really hate to tell you this. (but I will anyway) 

you are just over halfway done. When did you start? Double that time. 

Get the seat warmer ready in the outhouse...it's a long way to Spring

I think they are doing texture this week. We hope to paint this weekend. A day for electricians to finish their stuff.  The garage is just taped. That room is basically done. Garage door is set to be delivered at the end of June.

My cabinets are all made.  Those should be quick.  I think i heard that they want to install floors next week.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

@Scrapr I think I will be in by mid June. Floor should be next week.

a tad optimistic. I will allow 4th of July. I went back & looked at your pictures. Framing started Jan 20ish. So i will retract my projection for 4 months more. They really dragged their *sses on the front end  :)  Or it took you & K that long to decide on kitchen fans finishes

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Scrapr said:

a tad optimistic. I will allow 4th of July. I went back & looked at your pictures. Framing started Jan 20ish. So i will retract my projection for 4 months more. They really dragged their *sses on the front end  :)  Or it took you & K that long to decide on kitchen fans finishes

The crew that are ass draggers are done.  After this week, it is all subs. The floor is scheduled for next week from my understanding.  After that it is easy stuff.  Cabinets are made. 

Where is @MickinMD at with his adorable cottage? Have they started drywall?

So getting back to your last home pics, the last pic shows your pressure tank for your well/water system.  I have never seen such a small pressure tank.  I'd be interested in knowing why.  All the tanks I've ever used/seen are in the 75 gallon range and then with the bladder inside hold about 35 gallons.  I'm wondering why the difference in pressure tanks?

And thanks for sharing the pics.  Good progress.

28 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

So getting back to your last home pics, the last pic shows your pressure tank for your well/water system.  I have never seen such a small pressure tank.  I'd be interested in knowing why.  All the tanks I've ever used/seen are in the 75 gallon range and then with the bladder inside hold about 35 gallons.  I'm wondering why the difference in pressure tanks?

And thanks for sharing the pics.  Good progress.

I thought that must be something other than the main pressure tank, that I would not necessarily want in the main house. We've always had well houses. 

I am still surprised they ran the heat through the ceiling rather than the base boards. Must be warmer there than I remembered.