Home 🏠 Thread with pics

Dirtyhip

40 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

So getting back to your last home pics, the last pic shows your pressure tank for your well/water system.  I have never seen such a small pressure tank.  I'd be interested in knowing why.  All the tanks I've ever used/seen are in the 75 gallon range and then with the bladder inside hold about 35 gallons.  I'm wondering why the difference in pressure tanks?

And thanks for sharing the pics.  Good progress.

The big tank thing is old school tech.  My well driller picked all of this. 

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

From the picture it looks like a variable speed drive, rather than an off/on motor starter.  The speed of the motor is varied inversely to the pressure in the tank; lower pressure = higher speed and vice versa.  The motor (not the tank) maintains the pressure in the system when water is running.  So the bladder tank can be smaller since it only needs to supply pressure for a brief period from when a faucet is opened until the pump comes on to take over pressure maintenance.

This system is a good fit to the high volume well DH has, because there's plenty of water for the pump to draw from whenever it needs it.  Since it's electronic, there are no or few contacts to pit or burn out.  You also won't see the brief dimming of the lights that's characteristic of the off/on starter types coming on.

I would recommend, since the well pump controller is electronic, that it would be worthwhile to invest in a good quality whole-house surge suppressor and connect to the electrical panel.  It would help protect against lightning strikes that hit the power lines, or someone knocking down a pole with a car.  If it absorbs a spike you might have to replace it, but it would be cheaper than replacing that well pump drive.  To work properly, the surge suppressor should be mounted right next to the panel using the largest size wires the suppressor will accept.

Thank you, Thad.  I will look into that.

My well friend said he gave us a nice system.  It is a new style he said.  We are a 60 gpm well.  

11 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

From the picture it looks like a variable speed drive, rather than an off/on motor starter.  The speed of the motor is varied inversely to the pressure in the tank; lower pressure = higher speed and vice versa.  The motor (not the tank) maintains the pressure in the system when water is running.  So the bladder tank can be smaller since it only needs to supply pressure for a brief period from when a faucet is opened until the pump comes on to take over pressure maintenance.

This system is a good fit to the high volume well DH has, because there's plenty of water for the pump to draw from whenever it needs it.  Since it's electronic, there are no or few contacts to pit or burn out.  You also won't see the brief dimming of the lights that's characteristic of the off/on starter types coming on.

I would recommend, since the well pump controller is electronic, that it would be worthwhile to invest in a good quality whole-house surge suppressor and connect to the electrical panel.  It would help protect against lightning strikes that hit the power lines, or someone knocking down a pole with a car.  If it absorbs a spike you might have to replace it, but it would be cheaper than replacing that well pump drive.  To work properly, the surge suppressor should be mounted right next to the panel using the largest size wires the suppressor will accept.

Thanks for explaining that.  And yes the surge suppressor can help eliminate lighting issues.  My in-laws had issues several years ago.  Every couple years either their house or their rental got struck - occasionally losing a TV or such.  But every time they would lose a well pump about 2 weeks after the strike.  Once they installed the surge suppressors the issues went away.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Nice

Thanks. I respect your opinion, cause you know this business.

We are pretty happy with everyone.  A couple minor things but nothing to get all huffy about.  The end result is coming out quite nice.  I think they left wire for a door bell.  I didn't even think of that. 

We have not had a door bell in over 12 years.  Kind of funny.  Our old house has this sunroom at the front, and the front door is outside of that.  We rarely hear the knocks, so if you try that prepare to stand on the porch forever.  Our real friends always come through the back from the garage side.  There were actual cob webs at the front door, cause it rarely opened.  HAHA

I guess is you can get past our security gate, one could ring the door bell. Good luck. :D

• Heart 2

16 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Thanks. I respect your opinion, cause you know this business.

We are pretty happy with everyone.  A couple minor things but nothing to get all huffy about.  The end result is coming out quite nice.  I think they left wire for a door bell.  I didn't even think of that. 

We have not had a door bell in over 12 years.  Kind of funny.  Our old house has this sunroom at the front, and the front door is outside of that.  We rarely hear the knocks, so if you try that prepare to stand on the porch forever.  Our real friends always come through the back from the garage side.  There were actual cob webs at the front door, cause it rarely opened.  HAHA

I guess is you can get past our security gate, one could ring the door bell. Good luck. :D

Where did your front door go?

Door bells are simple today.  The base unit plugs into any outlet inside the house and the button runs on a AAA battery - no wires.  If they ran wires - use them.

How many weeks for the counter top?  :) 

Most wait until the base units are installed and then laser measure and send those back to the shop for exact fit.  I'm thinking in today's world that doesn't happen quickly???

The porch and overhang is going to be a great space.

Just now, Kzoo said:

Where did your front door go?

Door bells are simple today.  The base unit plugs into any outlet inside the house and the button runs on a AAA battery - no wires.  If they ran wires - use them.

How many weeks for the counter top?  :) 

Most wait until the base units are installed and then laser measure and send those back to the shop for exact fit.  I'm thinking in today's world that doesn't happen quickly???

The porch and overhang is going to be a great space.

The counter is built about 1.5 hours from our home.  I think that should be a two week lead time, or less.  The front door is just swung open. I look forward to taking the cardboard off and showing the big reveal of the new entryway (front door and sidelights together).

The flooring people backed into our steps yesterday. The one guy wasn't paying attention and he backed into our step and dented up his trailer door.  Luckily they didn't do any damage to our freshly finished steps and concrete slab.  People can be so dumb. 

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

WOW!  This is a real horse race now!!! @MickinMD and @Dirtyhip are in the "so close I can feel it" stages, and I would not bet against either of them now.

Really nice pics, DH!

After Mick's thread, I am hoping he wins.  I want him to be healthy and unstressed.

The van/cargo box life has been just fine.  I am adapting.  Grateful to have our little 180 sq ft of joy right now.   I miss my insta pot.  I should not have buried it so deep inside the box. I thought I left it accessible, but then it got barricaded.  It's too far gone now.  Really have to wait until we can unpack it.

I hope to see some updates from Dr. Mick.  I wonder how his texture/paint stage is going.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Are those toilet flanges glued in place or just loose? They look like they are a quarter turn off.

I didn't notice that until your post.   I'm guessing the plan is to use the small slots on the side.   I used the large slots when I set a flange in my old home.

image.png.cd1415ed257695675a0f254986a12330.png

12 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They need an outside shower, don’t want to do landscaping and pump track and drag all that dirt into a brand new house.

i can strip in the garage and go right to the shower.  

It isn't mud.  It's mostly just dust.

• Heart 2

• 1 month later...

This is very exciting.  That view is amazing and the house is nicely designed to make the most of it.  I've really enjoyed being along for the ride with your and Mick's house journeys.  Each was very different but it is nice to see our Forum friends in their new houses.

Very happy for you, DH.

• Heart 1