Went truck shopping today

BR46

16 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Shit, that is the situation with housing in NJ and probably all of the east coast. The nyc diaspora got the hell oot and drove up already too high prices. Both my daughters are skrooed trying to buy a house. 

low inventory here too.  Some assholes want 190K for a crappy 2 bedroom. :whistle:

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, BR46 said:

My truck died this morning and it's going to cost more to fix it then what it's worth so we went shopping today.

Most of the trucks new and used sitting on the lots are 4 door super cabs. I don't want a super cab I'm looking for a extended cab 4 wheel drive. 

I can't believe some of the prices that they are asking for new trucks.....I looked at a new Ford the the sticker price was  $81,700.....81,000 for something that's going worth half that in 2 years. 

It's highway robbery.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

OK.... I have to ask...      For a guy who can build a race motor for you sidecar, etc...  You tall us your truck is 'dead'. 

Wo46 is fine with the fact that you don't fix the truck?   So you just want a truck? 

So just how dead is your truck?  :D

He covered that when I asked before. It is worn oot and rusted oot. So dead even by my standards. :D

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

OK.... I have to ask...      For a guy who can build a race motor for you sidecar, etc...  You tall us your truck is 'dead'. 

Wo46 is fine with the fact that you don't fix the truck?   So you just want a truck? 

So just how dead is your truck?  :D

We have been talking about getting a new truck for a while and I was planning on just running this one through the winter. 

The frame has rust holes and one of them is big enough to put your hand through, the engine has a misfire every once and a while under load or going up hill. My neighbor is a ford mechanic and has it hooked up to the computer a few times and when we think we have it fixed it the problem will soon return. A few months ago the 4 wheel drive decided that it didn't always want to work. I know what the problem is and I can fix it myself but the truck is also going to need new tires, brake pads and rotors. 

On Friday afternoon Wo46 used the rusty truck to run to the store and parked in in the driveway when she came home.  The next morning got in the truck and when I stepped on the brake pedal it went to the floor. The banjo bolt on the brake line broke and if that one is in that bad of shape what do the other 3 look like. I can fix that one line for about 30 bucks but do I trust that the other lines.

With over 150,000 miles I know that the rear universal is making noise and is going to need replacement. So after I fix all that I still have a rusty 15 year old truck with unsafe frame. Once the brakes went out I said I'm done with trying to keep it running. 

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And look at this one!

4x4 with the extended cab and only 32k miles! And ... image.png.c4c5d032f5ae6aab0e6a8ca9e309288d.png

image.thumb.png.57188aaa94005a8b83b2fe85686b9c5a.png

I like that truck. Do you think that they will deliver it the 850 miles to my house for the wow price of 28,500

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I would find anything less than an 8' bed very frustrating, but that is just me. My pu is normally parked unless I am hauling something or pulling trailers. Think, I will keep my 1997, 1-ton, dually, diesel Dodge Ram, even with a few hail dents.

There's a truck dealership 35 miles from my house and between their two locations they have 739 trucks in stock 725 of them are the 4 door super crew cabs. 

Screenshot_2020-12-28-05-35-25-1.png.365f4d45c2cf2dd1eecd9fb3bad71738.png

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, BR46 said:

I like that truck. Do you think that they will deliver it the 850 miles to my house for the wow price of 28,500

It's yours for $29,500! Figure $500 max for a one way plane ticket and $500 in gas, tolls, and/or hotel to get you home.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's yours for $29,500! Figure $500 max for a one way plane ticket and $500 in gas, tolls, and/or hotel to get you home.

Found a few trucks that I'm interested in so Wo46 and I are going to Milwaukee this morning. 

• Awesome 2

I've been looking for Explorers for my son. The Ferd dealer in Janesville has a few F150 cab-and-halves. Not sure, but I think they have 6.5 beds. I cant tell for sure because the options read like a car, not a working truck anymore. Never mind GVWRs, towing capabilities or bed length. But stuff like heated seats and bluetooth are listed. :angry: Either the 5.0 or the 6T on those. 

Are the Explorers even available with a V8 anymore? All I see are 4T and 6T motors. :dontknow:

52 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

So on my ride today I was checking oot the pickemups I passed and viola, they were all 4 doors!  Wow!  Not your father’s pickups any more. 

That's what I'm talking about. 4 door short box. 

6 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

to get the VW because it was manual and did not have a sun roof.

:)  When I got my first Z28 Camaro, of course a 4 speed manual.  The sales guy asked do I want a T top?   I told him, No. I want steel above my head when I roll it over. 

I have never liked sun roofs.  I'm tall and they take too much headroom from the inside of most cars.  And I still want steel above my head.   

51 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

:)  When I got my first Z28 Camaro, of course a 4 speed manual.  The sales guy asked do I want a T top?   I told him, No. I want steel above my head when I roll it over. 

I have never liked sun roofs.  I'm tall and they take too much headroom from the inside of most cars.  And I still want steel above my head.   

I love the targa top in my del Sol.  I don't think I will ever roll it over.  And ragtops suck eggs!

On 12/27/2020 at 1:35 PM, Dirtyhip said:

low inventory here too.  Some assholes want 190K for a crappy 2 bedroom. :whistle:

tbh, if that's what the market would bear and I was selling a crappy two bedroom, I'd be an asshole too.

I have a very modest 1951 bungalow. Three beds (counting the dormer bedroom), 1.5 baths, with a tub and a second shower stall. Two stall detached garage, corner lot with a back yard separating the house and the garage (garage faces one street, house another).

A similar house down the block went for $201k this fall. 50-60% over what we paid back in 2005.  A part of me would be really interested in going condo, but there's only six years left on the mortgage, and despite the higher resale value, that means everything else has a higher resale value too, unless you move to a lower-demand neighborhood.