Went truck shopping today

BR46

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

:)  When I got my first Z28 Camaro, of course a 4 speed manual.  The sales guy asked do I want a T top?   I told him, No. I want steel above my head when I roll it over. 

I have never liked sun roofs.  I'm tall and they take too much headroom from the inside of most cars.  And I still want steel above my head.   

I'm as tall as you, and the panoramic moon roof on Shadow takes no headroom from me. :D

Honestly, what I really need is for the telescoping steering wheel to extend another 4". Not because of my arms as much as my legs. Just the teensiest bit hard on my right shoulder.

MLC.thumb.jpg.fbd5a5ed1348d8b3a815091aa20906c6.jpg

14 minutes ago, LoneWolf said:

I'm as tall as you, and the panoramic moon roof on Shadow takes no headroom from me. 

My Prius doesn't have a moon roof.  I have plenty of head room in the car.  

The Subaru Forester has a huge moon roof, and that has even more head room for me.   I may have opened the roof once.

The Honda Prelude is WoBG's car.  I don't fit into the car very well at all.  My head touches the roof and it came with a moon roof.  Then again, I don't drive the car much, she fits just fine.

I used to go to the Chicago Auto Show just to see if I could fit into a car.  I got to try out more than a few cars in 1 day.  I haven't attended that show in several years.   I wanted a Toyota 4 Runner until I found out i was too tall and would hit the roof, if it had a moon roof. 

6 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

My Prius doesn't have a moon roof.  I have plenty of head room in the car.  

The Subaru Forester has a huge moon roof, and that has even more head room for me.   I may have opened the roof once.

The Honda Prelude is WoBG's car.  I don't fit into the car very well at all.  My head touches the roof and it came with a moon roof.  Then again, I don't drive the car much, she fits just fine.

I used to go to the Chicago Auto Show just to see if I could fit into a car.  I got to try out more than a few cars in 1 day.  I haven't attended that show in several years.   I wanted a Toyota 4 Runner until I found out i was too tall and would hit the roof, if it had a moon roof. 

The panoramic moon roof was not key amongst my features. But...

Just opening the headliner and seeing all the sunshine through front-to-back (tinted) glass without it ever being open is actually really lovely. And this is the first moon roof that when I open it, has a front fabric guard to block wind/noise at least below a certain speed.

I don't know how much I'll have it open to the air. But it's pretty darn lovely on a sunny day when it's never even open.

spacer.png

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I just don't understand these tall issues :dontknow:...I hate to think about any shrinkage cos I will be the little ol lady peering over the steering wheel..and I dont know if they still put blocks on gas pedals :whistle:

All depends on the car for me.

Some bring the roofline awfully close, though as long as that doesn't cut down on the top of the windshield, I'm fine. WoLW's Subaru (now ParentsoLW's Subaru) had a teensy bit of this though I could get the seats comfortable.

At that point, it's a matter of giving me enough leg room to stretch without a steering wheel that's too far away to reach.  This is where Honda truly shines. Every Honda and Acura I've owned seems to be able to give me perfect driving position. The 2016 Civic was excellent at it, my `94 Integra GS-R was too, and my other two (`91 Integra, 2004 Civic) were quite good at it. It seems like their engineers worked very well to accommodate people of all heights.

The Hyundai is just a teensy bit off for me, despite having a fully power-adjustable driver's seat with lumbar support. If I get as close as I want to the steering wheel, my legs don't have quite the room. So I go back, and then the steering wheel telescoped to its fullest would be just a bit more comfortable if it could extend a few inches more. It's perfect for nearly everyone, but you've met me...Heh.

43 minutes ago, smudge said:

The suspense is killing me!!

:popcorn:

We are going to buy the truck. 

It's on the lot that's just down the hill from my house. The reason I didn't look at this one first is it is a little higher in mileage and a year or two older than I like if I'm buying used and it's not my first choice in color.  I was talking to my neighbor a ford mechanic that I looked at that truck and he knows the entire history of the truck.

I test drove a truck in Milwaukee that I liked but the transmission didn't shift smoothly in and out of 4 wheel drive and the water pump was making noise. The salesman tried to convince me that it was a heat shield rattle. He said no that's the heat shield I looked at him and said. ....you don't know what I did for a living. 

I don't pay attention to what people drive and didn't realize that everything on the lots now days are 4 door short box trucks.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, BR46 said:

We are going to buy the truck. 

It's on the lot that's just down the hill from my house. The reason I didn't look at this one first is it is a little higher in mileage and a year or two older than I like if I'm buying used and it's not my first choice in color.  I was talking to my neighbor a ford mechanic that I looked at that truck and he knows the entire history of the truck.

I test drove a truck in Milwaukee that I liked but the transmission didn't shift smoothly in and out of 4 wheel drive and the water pump was making noise. The salesman tried to convince me that it was a heat shield rattle. He said no that's the heat shield I looked at him and said. ....you don't know what I did for a living. 

I don't pay attention to what people drive and didn't realize that everything on the lots now days are 4 door short box trucks.

That's cause people just have to have a truck but really live in a car.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Well this was a whirlwind process! 

I surprised that it went this long. I was just venting my frustrating with what's available for trucks on the lots and when did the pickup truck turn into the family 4 door vehicle. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I surprised that it went this long. I was just venting my frustrating with what's available for trucks on the lots and when did the pickup truck turn into the family 4 door vehicle. 

CREW!!! It's for your CREW!!!! Not for the family!

But, yeah, we  have been looking at trucks and the 4 door is still the likely winner vs the extended cab - mainly due to "why not" sort of thinking - ie, we want the back row seating for the dog, and since that adds 2', why not add 2.5' and get the convenience of a real set of doors.

My wife is open to an full size SUV - eg Tahoe or Expedition - but that's like SUPER overkill from my perspective.  And usually $20k extra as well.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

CREW!!! It's for your CREW!!!! Not for the family!

I don't have a crew just me and the little lady. 

I like having room in the back to throw the riding gear in and the bigger bed to throw the motocycles in.

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

When the auto makers found out they could charge $80K and people still buy them.... 

True..but they haven't met my wife 

She going to try to talk Mike down a little more today before we sign any paperwork 

• Heart 1

Live vs the Jones.

1.  Your commuter car doesn't cut it.  Get an SUV.

2.  Your SUV doesn't cut it. Get a truck.

3.  Your truck isn't impressive enough, get a big truck......and maybe a small step stool.

Now, there are people who really need trucks.  They build things like DH and need to carry things or they race things and need to get around the country or they tow boats and campers and need the power and traction.

Then there's the other 95% of the population....................

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Live vs the Jones.o do my part

3.  Your truck isn't impressive enough, get a big truck......and maybe a small step stool.

Now, there are people who really need trucks.  They build things like DH and need to carry things or they race things and need to get around the country or they tow boats and campers and need the power and traction.

I try to do my part by driving a Civic, but I could not talk the Mrs. down from a CRV to Accord or Civic.  Wimmin love SUVs.  And automakers love wimmin!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

they tow boats and campers

Yep. I just want a good reliable pick-up that can easily handle a 6,000 pound trailer - up and down hills across the land.  Sadly, the decision that the dealers make - when ordering their stuff - is to get a couple bare bones work trucks and then a ton of premium $50k+ models for the "consumer" side of the business.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Live vs the Jones.

Yeah WoBG and I have actual cars.  Her 97 Prelude, and my 2016 Prius (replaced my 2005 Prius that had 260,000+ miles). 

When our 2010 Subaru Forester was purchased there was one thing that was important.  Our dog Sam, a Great Dane / German Shepard mix, who was 126 pounds, and relatively tall, needed to fit in the back for trips to places to walk the dogs.   He fit in the back.   I installed a receiver hitch on the Subaru.  We purchased a 5 X 8 cargo trailer and WoBG and I moved ALL of the stuff we have from our old home to where we live now.  And the trailer was used for hauling lots of stuff we purchased for the new home.  6 months ago we sold the trailer.

Before the Subaru, we had a Land Rover Discovery 2.  I'd bet we were just about the only people who actually used a Land Rover on 4 X 4 trails, a vacation in Colorado, and a few years later in Sedona.  

• Heart 1

On 12/29/2020 at 2:13 PM, Bikeguy said:

We purchased a 5 X 8 cargo trailer and WoBG and I moved ALL of the stuff we have from our old home to where we live now.  And the trailer was used for hauling lots of stuff we purchased for the new home.  6 months ago we sold the trailer.

Check.  You are definitely an engineer. :D

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:
On 12/29/2020 at 4:06 PM, Randomguy said:

Champagne is a nice color!

Yuppers!  I had two cars in that colour. My first, a 63 Olds, and a 1980 Dodge Colt. 

Champagne.... Isn't that the word designers use for piss yellow?

• Haha 2

I like that color. I fought tooth and nail to get our previous Corolla that color instead of Silver. Toyota called it something like Medium Sandstone Metallic . Our grandkids called it Gramma's Boring Beige Corolla. :( 

And thats the story of why our current Mazda 3 is Arrest me too, Skyactiv Blue. :unsure:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BR46 said:

When Wo46 suggested that I look at the truck that I ended up buying my first thought was....it looks like a grandpa truck.

The first thing my neighbor said was...you went full on grandpa 

So... is your son getting married anytime soon?   Maybe this is just you getting ready...   :party:

I've been a grandpa for 28 years....  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, smudge said:

How's things with the new truck @BR46 ?

Good...it has 4 wheel drive that works every time and brakes that work.

I took the cap off so if anyone is looking for a truck cap I have one for sale. I'm starting to get use to the color. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1