Should I change my name?

SuzieQ

I have been separated for 4 years and divorced for close to one.  I still use my married name, should I go back to my maiden name?  And, is the hassle with it?

Do you use your current name professionally?  Will it matter there?  Will it make you happier to feel the last connection severed?  

So. I have no suggestions for you. only questions.

I'm glad to see you only want to change your real name.  It drives my crazy when forumites keep changing their forum names.  My eldest son got married and both he and his wife changed their last name to a hyphenated name.  The marriage lasted less than a year, he still has the hyphenated last name.

• Heart 1

If and when you get married again, and if you'd want to take your new husband's name, then you would save some hassle not changing your name now.

That's one silly and convoluted argument in favor of not changing your name now.

Do what ever will make you happy. That's the best answer.

Do you use your current name professionally?  Will it matter there?  Will it make you happier to feel the last connection severed?  

So. I have no suggestions for you. only questions.

Yes, I use my current name professionally, but don't thing it would matter that much if I changed it.  No, it wouldn't make me happier to sever the last connection, in fact it would probably make me sad to have a different last name to my children.  For some reason, recently when I think of my last name I think of his family, and I know they really dislike me and blame me for this split.  In other ways to me it's just a name and doesn't define me in anyway, I don't really feel like either of my last names is who I am.  I was just thinking that maybe it's weird to keep your ex husband's last name?  

I'm glad to see you only want to change your real name.  It drives my crazy when forumites keep changing their forum names.  My eldest son got married and both he and his wife changed their last name to a hyphenated name.  The marriage lasted less than a year, he still has the hyphenated last name.

jsharr is my maiden name.

If I were to change my name it would be to something common for someone of a different race/nationality.

When I used to go to Interbike every year, the shop owner would let us pick our names for our admittance passes. One year I was Lyle Menedez, another year I was Koichi Yamamoto. It was fun to see the looks of sales reps when using my name during their product pitch.

If I were to change my name it would be to something common for someone of a different race/nationality.

When I used to go to Interbike every year, the shop owner would let us pick our names for our admittance passes. One year I was Lyle Menedez, another year I was Koichi Yamamoto. It was fun to see the looks of sales reps when using my name during their product pitch.

I would be Fromundo Yerbalzak!

If you decide to change your name, I'd suggest thinking about names other than your maiden name.  If you're going to go through all the trouble of changing it, why restrict your choices to just one name?  This is your chance to give yourself the name you always wanted!

He is right.  There are quite a few names for you to choose from besides the one you have now.

Way back in the olden days...about 20-25 years ago, I knew a woman who loved her husband...but hated his last name...She changed hers...but not to her maiden name...unfortunately I don't remember what name she took..but she found his German name too depressing.   Another friend of mine uses an ancestors last name..but not her dad's polish  last name....

Unfortunately, changing your last name isn't going to make a difference with your ex's family.....they will still blame you  :(

If you decide to change your name, I'd suggest thinking about names other than your maiden name.  If you're going to go through all the trouble of changing it, why restrict your choices to just one name?  This is your chance to give yourself the name you always wanted!

I don't think I could do that to my family!  Even though my dad is not alive, I couldn't do that to him, he was very proud of our family history and heritage and name, which I am too.