Returning to the Mt Washington Auto Road this year... I think I found my training hill!

Reverend_Maynard

I have never climbed this on a bicycle but have driven it many times as my kids played ball against a local school on top of the hill.

Park Ave is a road that takes you up to the top of a coastal range from Laguna Beach.  It’s about 2 miles long and a 18% avg  gradient.  I’d honestly be afraid to descend as well.  

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12300852?lang=en

There are numerous mountain roads that take you up to local ski resorts, GMR being one discussed here before.  Those are longer & probably harder due to the total elevation gain but Park Ave is just a freaking wall you go right up.

First training ride today...   4 laps plus the ride back up to the car.  I found a public parking lot for a wildlife management area about a mile up the other side of the valley that's pretty convenient.  The road is pretty rural, light traffic, 25 mph.  there's a varying width shoulder, 3ft to nonexistent.  on the mtb it's easy to hug the shoulder.  there's some soft dirt and leaf litter outside of that, but it looked a bit loaded with trash, maybe glass, so I stayed out of that.

It was a good start.  i can see adding a couple more laps, then maybe adding in challenges, like staying in a certain gear, standing for a whole lap, etc.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/60850477

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Portland has an unofficial hill ride called the De Ronde. There used to be Lion of Flanders markings on the road. It got too popular & had to go underground

This hill is on the route

brynwood.png

@Reverend_Maynard, go out there and practice that, it looks like the top of Mt Washington.  Except with Washington, there's a teeny tiny little hill to climb before you get there.

On 12/28/2020 at 5:19 PM, Square Wheels said:

I never understood why there aren't more mountain bikes doing the hill climb.  I figured they'd have the gearing for it.  Take of the knobby tires and off you go.

I would think weight would be a factor though. A super light XC hard tail is still around 20 lbs.  You can easily get to 16-17 lbs on a road bike and if you really try & have the funds could get down to 14 lbs.  

I think I’d rather do a hill climb with a 34X32 on a 16 lb road bike than a 32X50 on a 21 lb bike.

On 12/28/2020 at 5:07 PM, Reverend_Maynard said:

What's the toughest hill in your area?

I guess it depends on "area".  I live in a fairly "flat" with short hills area, so what tough hills we have are generally only a couple minutes to climb :(  I can get a little farther from home to find some sustained climbs - usually Skyline in Shenandoah NP - but even those are  just long but reasonable <10% grades. 

So, from a hill perspective, we're looking at a lot of 1/3 to 1 mile in length ones rather than fun sustained and hard ones.  These run will be in the 10+% range but short enough you never get worn down, and when averaged out as a "segment", more in the 5-10% avg than anywhere near a double digit avg.  Nothing like what Mt Washington seems to be.

23 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I guess it depends on "area".  I live in a fairly "flat" with short hills area, so what tough hills we have are generally only a couple minutes to climb :(  I can get a little farther from home to find some sustained climbs - usually Skyline in Shenandoah NP - but even those are  just long but reasonable <10% grades. 

So, from a hill perspective, we're looking at a lot of 1/3 to 1 mile in length ones rather than fun sustained and hard ones.  These run will be in the 10+% range but short enough you never get worn down, and when averaged out as a "segment", more in the 5-10% avg than anywhere near a double digit avg.  Nothing like what Mt Washington seems to be.

Sounds pretty similar to around here... thus why i will need 5 or 6 laps of this hill to equal the same elevation as mt washington.  Even then, there are only brief stretches that are steeper than the average grade on mt. washington.  There's just no perfect substitute.

• Heart 1

On 12/28/2020 at 8:19 PM, Square Wheels said:

I never understood why there aren't more mountain bikes doing the hill climb.  I figured they'd have the gearing for it.  Take of the knobby tires and off you go.

What was your gearing for your Mt Washington ride?  I would guess a typical compact - 50/34 with an 11-28?  My Roubaix from 06 was 50/36 and 12/27 10sp, and I remember being envious of the 50/34 folks for that one extra baby gear (or two if they had the 28 rear cog).  Nowadays, even my lighter Tarmac with the 50/34 and an 11sp 11-28 (the bailout gear I envied), is seemingly a tough option for Mt Washington.

48 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What was your gearing for your Mt Washington ride?  I would guess a typical compact - 50/34 with an 11-28?  My Roubaix from 06 was 50/36 and 12/27 10sp, and I remember being envious of the 50/34 folks for that one extra baby gear (or two if they had the 28 rear cog).  Nowadays, even my lighter Tarmac with the 50/34 and an 11sp 11-28 (the bailout gear I envied), is seemingly a tough option for Mt Washington.

IIRC SW had a custom set up for the event. Like a 28 tooth chainring or such.  

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

IIRC SW had a custom set up for the event. Like a 28 tooth chainring or such.  

I just saw it in the basement last weekend.  I think I had a 30 or 32 in the back, and whatever you can get for a mountain bike in the front, 28 sounds about right.  The thing was a wheelie machine.  Just a little force and it came right up.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On a mt bike, probably Phillips Ridge. 9 mile climb. It takes a couple of hours. Climbing Snow King is a great local climb you can do on foot, bike, or skis.

On a road bike, probably Teton Pass. 15% at the steepest part.

ELEVATION (feet)6,142 Start

8,512 Peak

20 Descent

2,390 Gained

GRADIENT 8.1% Average

DISTANCE 5.6 Miles

On foot: The Grand Teton 13777

• 2 months later...

Today was the day!  Conditions were warm and a little soft, causing some traction issues on the steepest spots, but maybe getting off the bike for those few seconds was good to keep from burning out just spinning, and spinning, and spinning...

Trimmed about 1/2 hour off my time!  Top 10 finish in my age group...

image.thumb.png.da72bbb8f33925322e92c19da30eac20.png

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3