First problem at the home build

Dirtyhip

It was pretty minor.  I had this plastic box of plans and permit data on the property.  K went out there yesterday and he comes home with all this wet paper docs.  He is laying them all flat and putting some on the drying rack.  Most stuff was recovered.  I might have to buy another set of plans. The most important piece was the permit card.  That was found and was not destroyed.

He said he went out there.  The box was tipped over.  The lid was off and our papers were blowing all over the place.

Gremlins.  Maybe the lid wasn't placed back correctly and the wind and snow caused the mayhem.

Our contractor is going to bring out a piece of PVC and screw caps.  

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Well, I want my home built to the spec I have provided.

Biggest issue was the permit card.  Thankfully that was fine.

Don't they come out and check that when building begins and then they wouldn't have to check again?

I was planning to become a draftsman in high school before I realized I could work my way through college, so I knew enough to make the drawings so my BiL could get the building permit to convert part of his carport into a tool shed.

Once the moonlighting home construction worker began work. a guy from the county came by, checked things out, signed a sheet of paper and stuck it to a wall.  And that's the last they saw of him!

If was a whole house, I'm more official people would be coming by to check, but they'd already know you had the permit, right?

19 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Don't they come out and check that when building begins and then they wouldn't have to check again?

I was planning to become a draftsman in high school before I realized I could work my way through college, so I knew enough to make the drawings so my BiL could get the building permit to convert part of his carport into a tool shed.

Once the moonlighting home construction worker began work. a guy from the county came by, checked things out, signed a sheet of paper and stuck it to a wall.  And that's the last they saw of him!

If was a whole house, I'm more official people would be coming by to check, but they'd already know you had the permit, right?

There are steps and signs offs.  I think the next one is when they inspect my forms for the flatwork.  There is all kinds of steps that are reviewed by the inspoector.  I am thankful for the permitting process and making sure things are built correctly.  The permit process protects homeowners.

• Awesome 1

On 12/28/2020 at 10:55 PM, Dirtyhip said:

The permit process protects homeowners.

Generally true.

We did a job once where the house had caught on fire when it was new and first built.  Many years later we were taking off the roof and putting on a second floor.  The entire underside of the roof had been painted with this silvery / white paint, I assume to block the smell of burnt wood.  I took my pencil and pushed it through on of the rafters.

When the building inspector came at an early step, it was clear he remembered the house.  The inspections only took a few minutes, it's clear he was caught in something.  Possibly bribed by the original builder to look the other way so they could save money.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Generally true.

We did a job once where the house had caught on fire when it was new and first built.  Many years later we were taking off the roof and putting on a second floor.  The entire underside of the roof had been painted with this silvery / white paint, I assume to block the smell of burnt wood.  I took my pencil and pushed it through on of the rafters.

When the building inspector came at an early step, it was clear he remembered the house.  The inspections only took a few minutes, it's clear he was caught in something.  Possibly bribed by the original builder to look the other way so they could save money.

Totally currupt, and this stuff saddens me.  The company we hired is very good.  They do mostly commerical builds.  Professional builders.  Another nice thing is that the owner of the company is an honest man.  He is a highly respected community member. We really like him.  

Luckily, we are very involved in our build.  There is no way they would have gotten away with that with the way we are engaging with the build. We are watching.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

18 minutes ago, Rick5234 said:

Are you using lien waivers?

I signed nothing, in regards to liens.

When we had our final home build meeting, I asked about liens.  They shrugged and said they have never had someone not pay them, so they don't make homeowners sign for them to have the ability to put a lien on my home.  They didn't even take a deposit.  They just bill monthly for the work completed.

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I signed nothing, in regards to liens.

When we had our final home build meeting, I asked about liens.  They shrugged and said they have never had someone not pay them, so they don't make homeowners sign for them to have the ability to put a lien on my home.  They didn't even take a deposit.  They just bill monthly for the work completed.

That’s not the point of wavers.  If they don’t pay for something it’s on you.  If their sub goes out of business and owes because of your build, it can be on you. Lien wavers protect the end home buyer.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Totally currupt, and this stuff saddens me.  The company we hired is very good.  They do mostly commerical builds.  Professional builders.  Another nice thing is that the owner of the company is an honest man.  He is a highly respected community member. We really like him.  

Luckily, we are very involved in our build.  There is no way they would have gotten away with that with the way we are engaging with the build. We are watching.

So did you or contractor submit anything digital to the municipality?

In the past few years, our municipality has changed the submission process and permit issuing to digital process.   Of course for you, you want the hard copy also from a legal perspective/for protection.  Govn't does try to be more efficient.  

10 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

That’s not the point of wavers.  If they don’t pay for something it’s on you.  If their sub goes out of business and owes because of your build, it can be on you. Lien wavers protect the end home buyer.

I am not too concerned.  They are one of the most respected businesses locally. 

The crew is all theirs.  They don't subcontract too much.  Concrete crew, framers, finishing, etc.

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So did you or contractor submit anything digital to the municipality?

In the past few years, our municipality has changed the submission process and permit issuing to digital process.   Of course for you, you want the hard copy also from a legal perspective/for protection.  Govn't does try to be more efficient.  

I don't know.  I applied for the home permit myself.  We have done much of the permit footwork, and submitting.  We acted as GC for the septic, well, temp electrical, excavation, tc.

1 hour ago, Rick5234 said:

You should think about it.  It's a simple thing you can do to protect yourself.  Shit happens.  Especially since he's billing you every month.

yeah the risk is low but the consequences can be brutal. They kind of blew you off because they don't like doing it. Since they use their own employees that mitigates your risk. But you still have big bills for lumber & all the other things coming to the site. It's a very easy paperwork thing. But...some trades don't get to signing them & can hold up the process. I'd press them a little. 

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

yeah the risk is low but the consequences can be brutal. They kind of blew you off because they don't like doing it. Since they use their own employees that mitigates your risk. But you still have big bills for lumber & all the other things coming to the site. It's a very easy paperwork thing. But...some trades don't get to signing them & can hold up the process. I'd press them a little. 

Our bank used a title and trust company to manage off of the approvals and payment to our builder.   Our builder had to prove everyone, contactors, subs, lumber yard, etc..  were paid  We were the last step of for approval process.  The title company would not pay until we signed off.  If I recall, there were 7 payments to the builder over 13 months.

The bank also had their inspector go out to the site from time to time.  

The county had lots of inspections for the work being done.

13 minutes ago, Rick5234 said:

He probably did that by giving them copies of lien waivers.

That would be my guess too.   I was just glad the trust company tracked everything for the bank and me.  I still had my own spreadsheet to compare the costs to the contract, payouts, etc... 

WoBG and I were busy enough picking out stuff (stairs, fireplace, lights, etc..) for the home.