Another GAP - C&O Story

Razors Edge

...from Adventure Cycling.

Joey and I weren’t seeing eye to eye on many things at the time, but he signed on. Five days later, we were on our old Raleigh taking selfies at the Capitol, the White House, and the Lincoln Memorial, where we officially shoved off at 5:00 pm. Dodging hordes of cyclists, runners, and walkers on the C&O, we joyfully pit-stopped at Great Falls and cruised into Swain’s Lockhouse, mile 16.5, a free campsite.  It was a perfect start — until Joey woke up in the morning with 337 mosquito bites. Yes, a mesh tent and mosquito repellent might have helped. So I bought him some Off!, humored his grousing about the hardships of camping and water-pump showers, and politely suggested that he could have been more involved in the packing and not relied on Daddy to do all the thinking. He agreed and the healing began. We happily pedaled for hours under the wondrous green canopy, with turtles diving in the mossy canal muck, Sinatra and Stevie Wonder blaring from Joey’s iPhone playlist, and some fun sightseeing at Harpers Ferry.

• Heart 3

"Taking selfies at the Capitol"

Been there. Done that. At the mall in front of the Smithsonian, Aug. 15, 2019, when life was normal.

Yesterday, we had to drive to another county to find a Cheesecake Factory with indoor seating to celebrate Ryan's (on right) 20th birthday.

I'm watching 12 1/2 year-old Adam (center) - who has gotten a lot taller - on Jan. 4, 5, and 6 when my main job will be to make sure he logs in on-time for each of his live, online, 7th grade school classes.

I can't wait until things are more like this again:

20190815_134449.jpg.b8825bf84455c736304240b4e69ad3c0.jpg

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

"Taking selfies at the Capitol"

Been there. Done that. At the mall in front of the Smithsonian, Aug. 15, 2019, when life was normal.

Yesterday, we had to drive to another county to find a Cheesecake Factory with indoor seating to celebrate Ryan's (on right) 20th birthday.

I'm watching 12 1/2 year-old Adam (center) - who has gotten a lot taller - on Jan. 4, 5, and 6 when my main job will be to make sure he logs in on-time for each of his live, online, 7th grade school classes.

I can't wait until things are more like this again:

20190815_134449.jpg.b8825bf84455c736304240b4e69ad3c0.jpg

We have a family picture where we’re  standing on the exact same spot!

13 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Except they closed the Big Savage tunnel for the winter.

Every year or just this year?  Seems a tunnel would be the section with about the least amount of "maintenance" the trail sees in winter.

13 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Only one campsite had bugs, the rest of the ride was pretty much bug free.

Which one? That campsite needs a good public shaming!

• Haha 1