The SWC 2021 Daily and Total Mileage Thread

Square Wheels

20 night miles with 1k of gain, wanted more but got another stinking flat! Tis the season, to get flats! Lots of thorns and goat heads around here after a big wind yesterday. I've had 2 flats in the last 4 or 5 rides from perfect thorns, The Perfect Thorn. :D

Just a nice flower I saw right in front of where I parked.

:check:

20211012_181927.JPG

Much cooler than I expected. Low of 55 after the 100+ we've been having, felt chilly. This was my face after I found that old crispy windbreaker and thin worn tights. But hey, they work! Good thing, didn't feel cold at all with them on.

20211012_183852.JPG

The fun times...............minutes before the flat! Slow leak, thought about doing the pump it up trick for the last

4 miles or so. But, couldn't take the lazy way out! :D

20211012_192136.JPG

20211012_192155.JPG

• Heart 4

30 with Gina today on the trail. Another breezy day, when isn't it?

Ran into a Strava buddy Stacy and her hubby. Every time we talk, she tells me she can not believe how strong Gina is.  Makes me laugh because Gina just rides along and is not competitive at all but yet so strong. Stacy and her hubby do randos and such and very involved in the cycling world around here.

At the train station filling the water bottles before the ride.

101721A.JPG

Stacy and Greg

101721B.JPG

Just about to the beach. Water looks nice in the sun. But the other direction, you can see the oil and other poop.

101721C.JPG

Stacy snapped a shot of us. Me, my spiders and Gina, and Chuck.

101721D.JPG

Stacy's ride descrip. SEE, I told you I was a nice guy. Actually a bit on the lovely side. :D

101721E1.jpg

• Heart 4

Rode the Dogfish Head bike to work today! (10 miles)

It needs some adjustments, With 3 speeds, it really didn't even feel like a bike.  Still trying to decide what to do with it. Really, a townie bike. It's OK to ride to work, slow, not really exercise, probably just for cool days when I wouldn't need a shower, I can just wear my work clothes for the ride and take it easy.  I need to take it for a gravel path ride, see if it's worth keeping for that.

• Heart 2

6 on the commute 

12.4 on the gravel 

Got the chance to chew out a kid in the parking lot on the ride home. I was riding past Planet Fitness and this Mustang was rushing through a parking lane about 25 mph. I saw him and slowed. Saw his window was down and yelled a big “HEY!!”

He turned, startled, face turning white and says “sorry!”

It was rush hour and he was trying to turn left out of the parking lot. He had to wait for traffic, so I had time to make some points. 

This is a parking lot. You don’t go that fast. 
Sorry

You didn’t even look my way until I yelled. 
Sorry

I’m not just mad for me. People are walking to and from their cars!

Sorry

Lets be more careful and aware in the future 

Sorry

About that time the raid cleared for both of us and he was able to get away from the grumpy old guy on the bike!

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

24.2 solo night miles with 1,368 ft if gain. Great evening. Felt like I was flying up the hills with very little effort. I probably wasn't but it felt like it, all that matters. I did get a PR on a short 5.4% grade without even trying so I'll take it ha ha ha!

Getting dark early now!

102121A.JPG

Cool looking moon all night, From a little park where I fill my bottles midride.

102121B.JPG

Up the hill to finish off. Man it is dark up here ha ha ha!

102121C.JPG

• Heart 4

Seven miles cold and wet to test this saddle. 
3914EDD1-4020-46C9-958D-0215024398C5.jpeg.a80013f95367897c9db24f19202a2663.jpeg

I was planning a lot further ride but I was already cold and then it started raining. I know one thing, this saddle is hard. My sit bones don’t have any natural padding. I need to get a lot more miles before I give up on this saddle. I had hi hopes for it. Cold and rain every day in the forecast. I have thirty days to decide if I like it. I think it would be fine on pavement but I don’t have pavement. I paid an insane amount of money for this saddle.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 3