The SWC 2021 Daily and Total Mileage Thread

Square Wheels

We went out to do a quick 15 mile ride after work. 10 miles in i hit something in the road and flatted.  Changed the tube and as i wad putting the wheel back on my bike, Bam! It blows again. Then i noticed the huge gash through the sidewall. As we were only a few miles from home Gumpette rode home and got the truck.

:check:

• Heart 2
  • Sad 2

6.32 miles in neighborhood :check:

First ride back after the wreck. No gloves since the thumb has a janky nail still semi attached to the new fresh thumb meat and the zombie part. Was a bit unsettled and the bike felt hyper responsive. Probably just me.

Gonna have to tell the LBS owner the new mechanic did good on the majors but missed on the minors. Front brake was overly adjusted and rubbed and clicked when I first took her out the garage. That is not a noise you want to hear on a bike that had fairly harsh front end trauma. Index on the right shifter was off a bit, probably just stretching of the new cables. The excess cable end on the FD was bent outwards so my leg rubbed on it. Never readjusted the seat height after servicing it.

Spent probably as much time in the garage adjusting things as I did on the ride but it was good nonetheless. Still gonna take at least two more tries to get my seat post back to where I thought it should go.

• Heart 4

image.png.b068349c0dc60accda49cd184133a5a1.png

After the dog walk, I rode the I&M Canal today.  Went east out of town.  It was warm and getting warmer.  I also wanted to at least get a good start on mowing our grass before it got close to 88F today. 

My plan was for 20 miles.  The next town to the east is Marseilles 6 1/2 miles to the east.  I haven't ridden past Marseilles in several years.  Most of the limestone is now grown over.  It looks like this...   a real long and straight single track in most places.

1180196243_IandMCanal.thumb.jpg.561d6fe1803976b442ae950000a39026.jpg

Until I got to a 1/8 mile section that was muddy and swampy...  Even on my MTB I was sliding in the ruts like I was on grease, but I made it thru the swamp.  

I kept going east.  I figured.  2 more miles for a total of 24...  so I kept riding.  Soon I found the trail is shared with a farmer's really looooong drive way.  They didn't use limestone, they use rock. The kind that has sharp edges.   I was worried about a flat.  And I was now behind my scheduled turn around time, so I turned around after about 1/2 a mile of rock.. that was not going to end anytime soon.

There is a blacktop country road that parallels the I&M Canal, so I road that for a while to buy pass the swamp on the return trip.  Sure enough... my front tire seemed really unstable, so I stopped, and yep... I had a slow leaking flat, 

I only found a old tire patch on the tube that appeared to be falling off and no other leaks.   So I replaced the patch and stated to add air.  Then I finally noticed... OMG  I'm sitting on the side of the road, right next to and / partially on poison ivy. :blink:

I get back on the bike and start riding again...  Like how can this possibly get worse... 

It did... the slow leak was still leaking.  :(   So rather than replacing the tube and getting even more behind schedule...  I just added air again, and again, and again.  The trail was loaded with mosquitoes   Stopping to add air was like giving blood.   

Tomorrow I'll see if I can figure out where the leak is in the tube.  

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

7/21/21.  36 miles this morning, with my son and a friend of his (the friend for about 24 miles). After the friend peeled off my so. Asked if I wanted to go to Caribou. I said I had coffee at the apartment (he doesn’t drink coffee) so let’s just ride more and go for 30, so we did .  He even suggested a road with a stretch of gravel . 

78D5F6DE-6757-4ADD-A245-50A46588D318.jpeg

AB3DED91-AE6B-454C-820B-E062FCCC8AC1.jpeg

• Heart 4

6 on the commute 

28 on a group ride. The Hastings cycling  group about 20 miles south of us started from the home of a rider who lives halfway between the 2 cities. Several from our city joined them. We did a loop of paved county roads that ended back at Mike’s home. They grilled burgers. We shared side dishes and beverages and had a great time visiting around the bonfire. Too bad it was a school night. 

A9973B23-36E0-4039-9315-5FC3B3676E29.jpeg

• Heart 3