Birdie shots for 2021

shootingstar

We went for an easy hike in another park where we've never been... this time out in suburbs. 

There were different birds...including this shore bird.. a Mandarin Duck.  They are native to East Asia.  This is probably the rock star that hit the local news in Metro VAncovuer 2 years ago because they are normally never seen in Canada.  Those yellow flip wing tips are very thin.  Not sure if those around us at the park, even appreciated seeing such a rare creature freely among all types of wild ducks today. Only maybe 2 different people out of the 15 around us looking at different ducks plus this type in the pond.

mandarinduck 2021.JPG

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I’m going to a bird watching event tomorrow morning on the Niagara River. The exact spot you took the picture of. It is considered a world class birdwatching area, and if my fingers aren’t frozen together, maybe I’ll get some pictures. Gulls and Ducks are the big attractions this time of year. 

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, shootingstar said:

We went for an easy hike in another park where we've never been... this time out in suburbs. 

There were different birds...including this shore bird.. a Mandarin Duck.  They are native to East Asia.  This is probably the rock star that hit the local news in Metro VAncovuer 2 years ago because they are normally never seen in Canada.  Those yellow flip wing tips are very thin.  Not sure if those around us at the park, even appreciated seeing such a rare creature freely among all types of wild ducks today. Only maybe 2 different people out of the 15 around us looking at different ducks plus this type in the pond.

mandarinduck 2021.JPG

Did you take this picture? It is stunning. 

59 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Did you take this picture? It is stunning. 

I did --we were there at the right time since the beautiful duck was paddling just less than 3 metres near us by a pond bridge. It was in Burnaby Lake regional park.  Have you gone birding at Pelee Island National Park in Ontario? You may know about this place already:  Nature and science - Point Pelee National Park (pc.gc.ca)  I'm certain the Internet has more birding sites that feature birding experiences here.

I've been in the park over 30 years ago when birds was not part of my horizon.  We just drove through. It was a few months after the island had a wave of caterpillars, etc.

• Awesome 1

48 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I did --we were there at the right time since the beautiful duck was paddling just less than 3 metres near us by a pond bridge. It was in Burnaby Lake regional park.  Have you gone birding at Pelee Island National Park in Ontario? You may know about this place already:  Nature and science - Point Pelee National Park (pc.gc.ca)  I'm certain the Internet has more birding sites that feature birding experiences here.

I've been in the park over 30 years ago when birds was not part of my horizon.  We just drove through. It was a few months after the island had a wave of caterpillars, etc.

Border closed since March. They have a huge festival in May coinciding with songbird migration, especially warblers. Same as on the US side between Sandusky and Toledo. Hopefully I can get to one or both of those areas. 

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Clearly we're gonna see some bird shots in your upcoming book?

A few...and is a shortcut for areas I haven't been, or photos were so old. Hey, they have birds, butterflies, flowers...just find one that is representative. Like wise those that require a commercial license, simply a bird that is seen in multiple areas, and the shot sequence can show taken elsewhere if questioned...but must a clean photo with no identifiable background features that would give it away as taken elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Twin Oak Conservation Area written up in Sunday's Travel section of the newspaper. I hadn't heard of before so went out to explore. A single hiking trail, plus a longer equestrian trail in a former pasture and sod farm being reclaimed along the shores of Lake Toho.

twin oaks - 2500px-3.JPG

twin oaks - 2500px-9.JPG

twin oaks - 2500px-17.JPG

twin oaks - 2500px-19.JPG

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Saw Twin Oak Conservation Area written up in Sunday's Travel section of the newspaper. I hadn't heard of before so went out to explore. A single hiking trail, plus a longer equestrian trail in a former pasture and sod farm being reclaimed along the shores of Lake Toho.

twin oaks - 2500px-3.JPG

twin oaks - 2500px-9.JPG

twin oaks - 2500px-17.JPG

twin oaks - 2500px-19.JPG

What is that colourful red-orange, blue & yellow bird?  Those are primary colours in a colour palette for mixing paints, etc.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Never seen such creatures in any photos at all.  Are they real? Looks like from dinosaur era.

However a narwhal is real in the Arctic waters...

Yes, they are from the Jurassic period. Technically, not dinosaurs and only one fossil specimen has been found. Photo was taken at a dinosaur exhibit at a local garden and historic homestead. I liked the way that they built the exhibit into the natural flora of the gardens.

Frustrating, all set up and waiting for mate to return with a meal in its claws. Try to catch in the tree backdrop then crop to frame. Unfortunately, clouds rolled in and there went my sunlight. Oh well, another day. Also, don't know if eggs have hatched as Osprey never got out of position. This is a great observation position. Top floor of a parking garage downtown Winter Park.

Osprey 2021 - 1500px-1.JPG

Osprey 2021 - 1500px-2.JPG

Osprey 2021 - 1500px-4.JPG

Osprey 2021 - 1500px-7.JPG

Osprey 2021 - 1500px-8.JPG

• Heart 3

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Wetlands 3-21 - 1500px-2.JPG

Wetlands 3-21 - 1500px-4.JPG

Wetlands 3-21 - 1500px-5.JPG

Wetlands 3-21 - 1500px-11.JPG

Wetlands 3-21 - 1500px-12.JPG

Wetlands 3-21 - 1500px-19.JPG

Wetlands 3-21 - 1500px-21.JPG

Wetlands 3-21 - 1500px-23.JPG

How many shots do you need to take with your camera for you to post the ones that feel useful for us?  They are clear, wonderful shots. I'm assuming you have a digital SLR.  I don't have one. Am not totally thrilled about lugging around an SLR while biking with minimal gear, etc.

56 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

How many shots do you need to take with your camera for you to post the ones that feel useful for us?  They are clear, wonderful shots. I'm assuming you have a digital SLR.  I don't have one. Am not totally thrilled about lugging around an SLR while biking with minimal gear, etc.

Most were single shots. On a few I did switch the lens over to manual focus and retake. The only other reason I retake is different pose...they change so fast.

• Awesome 1

Speaking of changing fast. Missed an initial setup which was a good thing with sawgrass in foreground and flew away as manually focusing. Autofocus would tag the sawgrass in the foreground as the focus area. Flew about 20 feet to an open area, so re-setup and clicked the photo. When I looked, he was gone so initially didn't know if got the picture or not.

Wetlands 3-21 - 1500px-14.JPG

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 11:11 AM, Tizeye said:

Frustrating, all set up and waiting for mate to return with a meal in its claws. Try to catch in the tree backdrop then crop to frame. Unfortunately, clouds rolled in and there went my sunlight. Oh well, another day. Also, don't know if eggs have hatched as Osprey never got out of position. This is a great observation position. Top floor of a parking garage downtown Winter Park.

Osprey 2021 - 1500px-1.JPG

Osprey 2021 - 1500px-2.JPG

Osprey 2021 - 1500px-4.JPG

Osprey 2021 - 1500px-7.JPG

Osprey 2021 - 1500px-8.JPG

10 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Kicking myself that I left my camera in the car the day I saw the pair of Sandhills Cranes this month. 

It could be worse. You could actually have your camera with you...but the telephoto lens was in the car. Last week while shooting the back yard of a house for a Realtor of a house she was listing and had visitors suddenly show up. Sadly, I had the other extreme, an ultrawide angle 16-35 lens on the camera.

At least hung around for the pano used for the Virtual Tour as they moved closer to the pool by the swing. For the pano, I am standing near where they crossed into the yard.

8833 Bridgeport Bay - 1500px-9.JPG

Rear FOV 200 - 3000px.jpg

• Hugs 1

• 2 weeks later...