Who is your favorite online bike/bike parts store?

Some Old Guy

For years, I was hooked on Performance.  I used to buy a lot from them online, but they also had a store near me, so I bought there as well.  Since they went bankrupt or whatever, I've just been buying from my LBS and online from ProBikeKit.

Who is your "go to", most favorite online store these days?   

I usually just buy tubes and taars from Amazon or their sellers.  I also was a Performance and Nashbar junkie.  All my shorts and jerseys except one pair from Dick's are Performance, and maybe a Nashbar or two thrown in.  My pump is a Nashbar Retro that I love, but I did run over it so it is a tad bent, and I had to replace the hose so it is too short, and it has a replacement Silca brass chuck.  But the handle and cylinder and piston are original. :)

Actually the reason the hose is too short is I just cut oot the leaky part.  And that had the chuck on it so I had to get the replacement chuck. Just so we’re straight on that  :D

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

I like Voler for bibs and Pearl Izumi  for jerseys.

Bike parts Performance and Nashbar were my go to places for parts.  I've still got my stock of chains, cassettes, tires, tubes and some a few spare spokes to last for a while.

I just wish I would have purchased some spare Ultegra 3x9 brifters for my bike.  Mine still work just fine.  They just look old, the finish is getting funky looking.  

I'll need to find a LBS... the one i visited a lot is kind a far away now, that I moved to my new home.

• Heart 1

It's the internet. Whoever has the best stuff at the best price with the best deal.

I do go to Amazon because they seem to have the highest degree of security given the volume of their transactions. I always worry about smaller, less capable systems in this regard.

• Heart 1

Mostly I buy from LBS, but if I do shop online, it's Performance Bike usually, (and Nashbar in the past).  There was a Nashbar store aboot 25 miles from me in the '90s.  I've also used Colorado Cyclist, Competitive Cyclist, Jenson USA. I really like Performance Bike brand shorts.

• Heart 1

I've never bought any cycling clothing nor gear online. He hasn't either.  We've lived in cities where it's just easier to buy in person since there are various bike shops /expertise to choose and sometimes pummel store staff with questions. He has known several of Vancouver bike shop owners so they listen to our needs and get what's needed. Often it's not urgent.  Not convinced with the shipping costs into Canada it's even worth the cost to order online.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Not convinced with the shipping costs into Canada it's even worth the cost to order online.

Yeah - if I think back to say the 90s, mail order stunk. It was slow and expensive.  Now, for US locations, it's easy, way cheaper than an LBS, has greater selection, and is delivered in as little as a day.  And in the past year they have really made huge strides in returns as well.

Maybe CAnada will get there sooner or later?

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - if I think back to say the 90s, mail order stunk. It was slow and expensive.  Now, for US locations, it's easy, way cheaper than an LBS, has greater selection, and is delivered in as little as a day.  And in the past year they have really made huge strides in returns as well.

Maybe CAnada will get there sooner or later?

Hmmm. International delivery fees apply.  Maybe other Canucks like ordering overseas for purchase values over ie. $200.00. 

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Hmmm. International delivery fees apply.  Maybe other Canucks like ordering overseas for purchase values over ie. $200.00. 

The US websites get almost all their stuff from overseas.  The sites are the middlemen, not the starting point (usually).  Not sure why on-line businesses can't sort it out up in CAnada.  I used to use the British ProBikeKit - before they established a US entity - and the prices were BONKERS they were so cheap on things like Shimano and Continental. It did add time to get through US customs, but what a huge bargain back then circa 2010.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

The US websites get almost all their stuff from overseas.  The sites are the middlemen, not the starting point (usually).  Not sure why on-line businesses can't sort it out up in CAnada.  I used to use the British ProBikeKit - before they established a US entity - and the prices were BONKERS they were so cheap on things like Shimano and Continental. It did add time to get through US customs, but what a huge bargain back then circa 2010.

Well, probably Rattlecan may have a more expert opinion since he builds some bikes occasionally.

I have enough cycling clothing for 4 seasons, to last me for next few years..provided I don't gain weight.  

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I have enough cycling clothing for 4 seasons, to last me for next few years..provided I don't gain weight.  

Define "enough" :D  I think we all have enough, but darn it! We deserve more.   New colors, new fit, new materials!!!  Buy buy buy.

33 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Jenson USA is based out of Riverside CA and they note two locations. I had been to the Corona CA location so went to the Riverside location and found it was a giant warehouse with a small customer service area!  For most items they sell, you can go in to this location, speak to a concierge who will then pull it  from the warehouse.  You then take it to the cashier for payment.  If they don’t have it in the warehouse they can order it.

Interesting set up which I’m sure is being modified now...

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I like Voler for bibs and Pearl Izumi  for jerseys.

Bike parts Performance and Nashbar were my go to places for parts.  I've still got my stock of chains, cassettes, tires, tubes and some a few spare spokes to last for a while.

I just wish I would have purchased some spare Ultegra 3x9 brifters for my bike.  Mine still work just fine.  They just look old, the finish is getting funky looking.  

I got some Ultegra 3x9 brifters aboot a year ago at REI. There was some on Ebay too...but I want my dividend!

I was going to start a new thread but I'll do it here. I fell off my bike the other day while it was on the trainer! I bent the dropout & hanger. The problem is it's a carbon bike. I sent pictures to a repair shop in Portland & they quoted $850 to do it. Whitch might be a bit stiff for a 15 year old bike. 

Didn't really look like much stock at the shop I bought my Kona steelie 2 years ago. I don't have to replace the plastic bike. Are there good online sources for complete bikes? I have been checking fleabay

6 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Does he supply safety belts for trainers? 

Then you don't want to ride on rollers. :D  Unless you build a fence like @Square Wheels did for his rollers.  

When I first started riding rollers, I fell off of my rollers a few time.  I always ride with the derailleur side next to a wall, so I don't fall and kill my derailleur. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

I got some Ultegra 3x9 brifters aboot a year ago at REI. There was some on Ebay too...but I want my dividend!

I was going to start a new thread but I'll do it here. I fell off my bike the other day while it was on the trainer! I bent the dropout & hanger. The problem is it's a carbon bike. I sent pictures to a repair shop in Portland & they quoted $850 to do it. Whitch might be a bit stiff for a 15 year old bike. 

Didn't really look like much stock at the shop I bought my Kona steelie 2 years ago. I don't have to replace the plastic bike. Are there good online sources for complete bikes? I have been checking fleabay

I bought my Bianchi through these guys.  They are an online retailer with a small shop near where I live.  What I like is you can pick a frame and then pick a build kit and customize any way you want.

https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/store.cfm?do=Browseproducts&CategoryID=2121

https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/store.cfm?do=Browseproducts&CategoryID=2121

• Awesome 1

Price Point (swallowed up by performance I believe years ago)  Cambridge Cycles in California (now unable to find them, not the bike shop by the same name in Mass). Jenson USA.  Performance/Nashbar for shorts and bibs and 1 bicycle purchased for the frame.

These days, somewhere over the internet.

44 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Price Point (swallowed up by performance I believe years ago)  Cambridge Cycles in California (now unable to find them, not the bike shop by the same name in Mass). Jenson USA.  Performance/Nashbar for shorts and bibs and 1 bicycle purchased for the frame.

These days, somewhere over the internet.

Did you mean Cambria Bike in CA? https://cambriabike.com

• Awesome 1

5 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Then you don't want to ride on rollers. :D  Unless you build a fence like @Square Wheels did for his rollers.  

When I first started riding rollers, I fell off of my rollers a few time.  I always ride with the derailleur side next to a wall, so I don't fall and kill my derailleur. 

A friend of mine rides rollers. He moved a couple years ago, but he would join our winter group trainer sessions. He’s a strong rider   On some sprints, his bike would jump the rollers! Made for some moments. He recently left his GPS on while training. Below was his Strava post. I told him it looked about right for him on rollers. He didn’t disagree! 

774D8A46-CA28-4089-98FF-1CE7AF25D22C.jpeg

• Haha 1