US Capital

Airehead

4 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Regardless of your politics a person shot inside the US Capital is scary.

Since we can't discuss politics, I will ask @roadsue's advice on how to politely tell you it is the US Capitol(!), not the US Capital.   The US Capitol is located in the US Capital!  Sort of neat, but a shooting in DC is much less surprising than a shooting in the Capitol.

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Since we can't discuss politics, I will ask @roadsue's advice on how to politely tell you it is the US Capitol(!), not the US Capital.   The US Capitol is located in the US Capital!  Sort of neat, but a shooting in DC is much less surprising than a shooting in the Capitol.

Agreed--- and apologies for getting it wrong.  I am feeling rattled.

• Hugs 2

41 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's not politics to report what happened at the U.S. Capitol.

On the other hand, since there are many points of view here, I don't think it's worth getting into specifics that might be construed as the political nitty gritty with each other on the Cafe about it except to agree it was an awful thing.

8 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

On the other hand, since there are many points of view here, I don't think it's worth getting into specifics that might be construed as the political nitty gritty with each other on the Cafe about it except to agree it was an awful thing.

agreed

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Today's event in the capitol is a group of batshit insane and/or completely ignorant dumbfucks spurred on by a complete idiot intent on having the nation serve his needs rather than the other way around.  This is real fact, and without political motivation.  It is what it is, which is obvious and objectively verifiable.

The lax security around the capitol is totally inexcusable. You can’t get that close in normal times.   Wtf!

Or maybe I’m thinking aboot the White House.  But where were the bigass barriers?   

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

The lax security around the capitol is totally inexcusable. You can’t get that close in normal times.   Wtf!

Or maybe I’m thinking aboot the White House. 

On the other hand, had they brought out the riot police and gone stomping, Congress would probably not be back in business right now.  I'm pretty sure however that a much stronger security presence will be there in the future.

In addition to one protester being shot, between 15 and 20 capitol police were injured during this riot.  Nobody wins this shit.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

On the other hand, had they brought out the riot police and gone stomping, Congress would probably not be back in business right now.  I'm pretty sure however that a much stronger security presence will be there in the future.

In addition to one protester being shot, between 15 and 20 capitol police were injured during this riot.  Nobody wins this shit.

The cops did show remarkable restraint. But there should have been multiple layers of security so that rhey did not have to be put in that position.  Wtf!

16 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Or maybe I’m thinking aboot the White House.  But where were the bigass barriers?   

giphy.gif

Don't worry, we'll have this thread locked in no time at all.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

The cops did show remarkable restraint. But there should have been multiple layers of security so that rhey did not have to be put in that position.  Wtf!

The layer that counted was further in the building where the government took shelter till the guard arrived with enough presence to get the protesters to leave without bloodshed.  Just my opinion of course.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The layer that counted was further in the building where the government took shelter till the guard arrived with enough presence to get the protesters to leave without bloodshed.  Just my opinion of course.

That was good, I agree. But I do see that the capitol is a huge building so maybe not all that practical. 

The contrast with the barriers I saw going up in Kenosha is amazing. 

30 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

That was good, I agree. But I do see that the capitol is a huge building so maybe not all that practical. 

I have my questions on security as well. Some thoughts I have:

Once the Capitol was over run, people take precedence over property. Can you imagine an image of Pelosi being carted off by the mob? There are over 100 senators, each requires 2-3 agents so you can do the math on the number of people tasked to their safety.

There are barriers and access control measures in place. But when thousands of angry people swarm the Capitol they will find a weak spot and breach it.  

As there was protest earlier in the day was sufficient staffing in place to keep them off the Capitol grounds. Was additional resources requested and if so when?  Remember it takes hours/days time to mobilize hundreds of officers.  What was the contingency?

Also remember there is a mishmash of agencies in DC who report to different agencies. Capitol Police, DC Metro, Park Police, Military...

Due to what happened its fair to question the security but I reserve judgement until I have more info.

• Heart 1

54 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Yep.  I agree that the planning doesn't seem to have looked toward all the possibilities with enough attention.  I can understand however that on one hand one doesn't want to country to look like an armed 3rd world camp.  Bicycle barriers however will only stop a crowd that's willing to be stopped.  Stopping a crowd that's determined however requires a level of violence that would have really tarnished the days activities.

As it is, we had an embarrassing moment that has been relatively quickly been shut down with a minimum of violence and a capitol building left unburned and mostly undamaged.  Nowhere near the level of violence we viewed last summer.

• Heart 1

What I find amazing are the Congressmen walking back being complicit with the classic "I wasn't suggesting or encouraging when I said..." That is about like going into a theater, yelling "Fire" and  then minimizing that didn't know would cause a stampede...just letting people know of a danger.

• Heart 2