Are You Kidding Me?

Razors Edge

7 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

This is on the basis of Tesla stock rising and rising...  I mentioned I was gonna buy some... it's already up > 50% in about a month.

Sell it, quick. :lol:

I hate when things move like that. Suddenly it's a world that makes no sense. I've been trying to pull some profit out of my stocks. Just today, I pulled the profit out of a stock that was roughly 70% higher than what I paid for it. It is now 95% higher than I paid for it. I am loath to pull profits out of this new portfolio. I have been building an investment type portfolio of good stable companies and I don't want to throw away the gains on them because they are good quality.

4 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Sell it, quick. :lol:

I hate when things move like that. Suddenly it's a world that makes no sense. I've been trying to pull some profit out of my stocks. Just today, I pulled the profit out of a stock that was roughly 70% higher than what I paid for it. It is now 95% higher than I paid for it. I am loath to pull profits out of this new portfolio. I have been building an investment type portfolio of good stable companies and I don't want to throw away the gains on them because they are good quality.

That's the problem with stocks.  It's all about timing, and if you pull the money out at the wrong time... ouch.

I feel pretty good about Tesla as a company, so I'm in for the long haul, at this point.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

This is on the basis of Tesla stock rising and rising...  I mentioned I was gonna buy some... it's already up > 50% in about a month.

If I was younger, I'd have bought some.  Since I've achieved a retired position of not rich but comfortable, I'm much more interested in preservation of capital than potential huge returns with high risk.

Personally, I think that when a faster-charge battery is developed and a national network of electric vehicle service and repair stations exists, it's highly likely that the big car companies will grab the major sales and drive Tesla into a small, niche corner.

There is virtually NOTHING Tesla has that is a durable competitive advance except, possibly, it's name. It uses the same batteries Toyota has been using for 30 years, 100 year-old motor technology, the same plastics, suspensions, interior materials, etc. that other car companies have been using, and Apple, Google, etc. have demonstrated how easy it is to duplicate Tesla's software and related technology.

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

If I was younger, I'd have bought some.  Since I've achieved a retired position of not rich but comfortable, I'm much more interested in preservation of capital than potential huge returns with high risk.

Personally, I think that when a faster-charge battery is developed and a national network of electric vehicle service and repair stations exists, it's highly likely that the big car companies will grab the major sales and drive Tesla into a small, niche corner.

There is virtually NOTHING Tesla has that is a durable competitive advance except, possibly, it's name. It uses the same batteries Toyota has been using for 30 years, 100 year-old motor technology, the same plastics, suspensions, interior materials, etc. that other car companies have been using, and Apple, Google, etc. have demonstrated how easy it is to duplicate Tesla's software and related technology.

I'm banking on the auto industry giants moving toward EV's. Subaru recently partnered with Toyota to produce an EV.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

calling them the same batteries as 30 years ago and the same motors as 100 years ago is a gross over simplification.  The level of refinement is huge, and they source most/all of their own parts so own the patents and production facilities.

Also, due to the fact all their cars sold have been equipped with the sensors needed for full self drive and the software to collect real time data, they have a huge data advantage for teaching their self drive that no one else even comes close to.

The big makers are of course going to move more and more to EVs.  I'm betting that Tesla already has a head start they'll be able to maintain for the foreseeable future.  Certainly not worried any of the dullards at the big 3 are going to overtake.