Went to the Vietnamese/Asian market yesterday.

maddmaxx

13 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Today we made Pad Thai at home from scratch without any sauce kits.  One half was spicy shrimp Pad Thai and because womaxx is violently allergic to shrimp the other half was chicken Pad Thai.  Oldest son did the cooking and there is no longer a reason to order it from the Chinese Restaurant in town.  His is better.  Upcoming meals include Kung Pao Chicken and Beef and Broccoli. 

I don't think there are recipes.  He just sort of wings it.

Excellent, max. 

We have a large population of Burmese immigrants in our city, but they haven’t moved to the suburbs in large numbers yet. Predominant Asian groups  in our area would be Chinese, Indian, Korean probably in that order. I don’t know if our Asian market has Indian food, but certainly the Pacific countries would be well represented. Japanese and Thai cuisines are quite popular, though we don’t have large populations. 

We used to have a huge Asian supermarket locally that my Chinese Piano Teacher, the late virtuosa Frances Cheng-Koors, introduced me to.

It had people cooking and offering samples of all kinds of Asian cuisine and I loved the variety of veggies, noodles, and other stuff you don't usually see in American supermarkets.  Additionally, typical American veggies, shrimp (with heads intact if you wanted!), fish, and some other things were low-priced.

Unfortunately, it closed down several years ago.  There are a few other Asian "supermarkets" within a 30 min. drive for me, but they're more like 7-11's in size.  The produce section alone in the one that closed was bigger.

We have several Asian markets nearby and I hit them up frequently.  We have a Pilipino market nearby which is the closest market with Indonesian soy sauce so I hit it up once a month at least.

As I look more like a Philipino than say Vietnamese or Japanese I kinda get a homey feeling when I go there.  The little old brown ladies all smile at me, shoot everyone smiles and nods or says hello.

It’s like family I don’t know.

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1