So I got my first LED bub installed tonight

Ralphie

Yeah, we're pretty much all LED here now. I did manage to find some lower profile LED bulbs at Lowe's. I looked at every brand in every hardware store in the area until I found some that weren't any bigger than the CFLs. I even found stuff that fits in my ceiling fan lights.

• Heart 1

As I asked here a few month's back, are CFL's were even for sale anymore - the answers tended to be, "No, in most stores."

I went to Walmart get replacement bulbs for my burned-out apartment CFL's (3 burned out soon after I moved in?) and could only find LED's.  I had stocked up on CFL's enough at my house that I hadn't needed to buy bulbs for over a year.

The 60W equivalent soft-white LED's are brighter than the 60W equiv. CFL's.  There are three lights above my kitchen island and the LED I put in one end one end's light caught my eye too much while watching TV in my living room area, so I put one of the old CFL's in that socket.  Problem solved.  If that burns out, I guess I'll have to find a 45W equiv LED.

54 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

As I asked here a few month's back, are CFL's were even for sale anymore - the answers tended to be, "No, in most stores."

I went to Walmart get replacement bulbs for my burned-out apartment CFL's (3 burned out soon after I moved in?) and could only find LED's.  I had stocked up on CFL's enough at my house that I hadn't needed to buy bulbs for over a year.

The 60W equivalent soft-white LED's are brighter than the 60W equiv. CFL's.  There are three lights above my kitchen island and the LED I put in one end one end's light caught my eye too much while watching TV in my living room area, so I put one of the old CFL's in that socket.  Problem solved.  If that burns out, I guess I'll have to find a 45W equiv LED.

Home Depot had a buttload of CFLs.  And why the flock are most LEDs shaped like old fashioned Edison bubs?

60w equivalent was the lowest LED I saw, but they did have pallets blocking most of the light bub aisle. :angry:

My Home Depot has mostly 40W and 60W equivalent LED bulbs, probably because those are the most popular.

They also carry them in three different versions:  soft white, daylight and bright white.  I recommend soft white for all indoor use.  The other two are too white, for me anyway.  I bought a couple of the daylight and bright white, but I decided to use them only for outdoor lighting.  

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Taylor said:

My Home Depot has mostly 40W and 60W equivalent LED bulbs, probably because those are the most popular.

They also carry them in three different versions:  soft white, daylight and bright white.  I recommend soft white for all indoor use.  The other two are too white, for me anyway.  I bought a couple of the daylight and bright white, but I decided to use them only for outdoor lighting.  

OMG!  I missed the fine print and this sumbitch  is “Daylight”, and it is like being inside a nuclear \\~}}% reactor!  :(

Good idea!  Outside with this damn thing!

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

I let my fingers do the walking and ordered low profile cool white LED buns from Amazon. (My daughter had never heared that phrase before. :D )

Hmmmm....  I think you did it wrong.  "I let my fingers do the walking."  Was a "Yellow Pages" slogan.   

Amazon didn't exist when there were Yellow Pages.  And think it also is true that Yellow Pages don't exist now when we have Amazon.    I can't remember the last time I got a phone book or yellow pages.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:09 PM, Philander Seabury said:

OMG!  I missed the fine print and this sumbitch  is “Daylight”, and it is like being inside a nuclear \\~}}% reactor!

Yeah... in 2 years one of the 3 LED lights (over my front porch)  that should last 10 years or more died.  I didn't pay attention... now I have 1 'warm' light and 2 'daylight' color lights over my porch. I guess in 10 years I'll get a new bulb with the correct color.  WoBG hasn't noticed yet...  when she does... I may be changing the bulb sooner. 

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I always buy the brightest, whitest bulbs I can find. Maybe I’ll have to wear sunglasses inside if I ever get my cataracts fixed.

An old cow-orker became enamored of daylight fluorescents and had his office done in them. It glowed. :D  One visitor walked in and with wide eyes asked: “Who is your decorator?”  :D

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

An old cow-orker became enamored of daylight fluorescents and had his office done in them. It glowed. :D  One visitor walked in and with wide eyes asked: “Who is your decorator?”  :D

I replaced my kitchen light that was 2 four foot fluorescents with the brightest LED they sold about the same size. I could do surgery in the kitchen now.

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2021 at 10:02 AM, MickinMD said:

You could go with programmable bulbs.

9 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Hmmmm....  I think you did it wrong.  "I let my fingers do the walking."  Was a "Yellow Pages" slogan.   

Amazon didn't exist when there were Yellow Pages.  And think it also is true that Yellow Pages don't exist now when we have Amazon.    I can't remember the last time I got a phone book or yellow pages.

Yeah... in 2 years one of the 3 LED lights (over my front porch)  that should last 10 years or more died.  I didn't pay attention... now I have 1 'warm' light and 2 'daylight' color lights over my porch. I guess in 10 years I'll get a new bulb with the correct color.  WoBG hasn't noticed yet...  when she does... I may be changing the bulb sooner. 

No problem!  Outside is a great place for those bright ones!

I reporpoised “Fingers doing the walking” from the yellow pages to online ordering. :)

• Haha 1