Jump to content
Square Wheels Cycling

So I got my first LED bub installed tonight


Recommended Posts

60w equivalent for 10 watts - nice!  I am so tired of those flaky CFLs.  But we have some overhead light fixtures that need the low profile of the CFLs so they are relegated there.  I still don't know if it was the CFL or the fixture that is intermittent.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


11 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Just all you in the forum to share the experience. :D

 

I know I was pretty excited   :happyanim:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, we're pretty much all LED here now. I did manage to find some lower profile LED bulbs at Lowe's. I looked at every brand in every hardware store in the area until I found some that weren't any bigger than the CFLs. I even found stuff that fits in my ceiling fan lights.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the 21st-and-a-fifth century. 

We’re just about all LEDs except a coupla fan lights and the chandelier in the foyer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I asked here a few month's back, are CFL's were even for sale anymore - the answers tended to be, "No, in most stores."

I went to Walmart get replacement bulbs for my burned-out apartment CFL's (3 burned out soon after I moved in?) and could only find LED's.  I had stocked up on CFL's enough at my house that I hadn't needed to buy bulbs for over a year.

The 60W equivalent soft-white LED's are brighter than the 60W equiv. CFL's.  There are three lights above my kitchen island and the LED I put in one end one end's light caught my eye too much while watching TV in my living room area, so I put one of the old CFL's in that socket.  Problem solved.  If that burns out, I guess I'll have to find a 45W equiv LED.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

As I asked here a few month's back, are CFL's were even for sale anymore - the answers tended to be, "No, in most stores."

I went to Walmart get replacement bulbs for my burned-out apartment CFL's (3 burned out soon after I moved in?) and could only find LED's.  I had stocked up on CFL's enough at my house that I hadn't needed to buy bulbs for over a year.

The 60W equivalent soft-white LED's are brighter than the 60W equiv. CFL's.  There are three lights above my kitchen island and the LED I put in one end one end's light caught my eye too much while watching TV in my living room area, so I put one of the old CFL's in that socket.  Problem solved.  If that burns out, I guess I'll have to find a 45W equiv LED.

Home Depot had a buttload of CFLs.  And why the flock are most LEDs shaped like old fashioned Edison bubs?

60w equivalent was the lowest LED I saw, but they did have pallets blocking most of the light bub aisle. :angry:

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Home Depot has mostly 40W and 60W equivalent LED bulbs, probably because those are the most popular.

They also carry them in three different versions:  soft white, daylight and bright white.  I recommend soft white for all indoor use.  The other two are too white, for me anyway.  I bought a couple of the daylight and bright white, but I decided to use them only for outdoor lighting.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Taylor said:

My Home Depot has mostly 40W and 60W equivalent LED bulbs, probably because those are the most popular.

They also carry them in three different versions:  soft white, daylight and bright white.  I recommend soft white for all indoor use.  The other two are too white, for me anyway.  I bought a couple of the daylight and bright white, but I decided to use them only for outdoor lighting.  

OMG!  I missed the fine print and this sumbitch  is “Daylight”, and it is like being inside a nuclear \\~}}% reactor!  :(
 

Good idea!  Outside with this damn thing!

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

I let my fingers do the walking and ordered low profile cool white LED buns from Amazon. (My daughter had never heared that phrase before. :D )

Hmmmm....  I think you did it wrong.  "I let my fingers do the walking."  Was a "Yellow Pages" slogan.   

Amazon didn't exist when there were Yellow Pages.  And think it also is true that Yellow Pages don't exist now when we have Amazon.    I can't remember the last time I got a phone book or yellow pages.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:09 PM, Philander Seabury said:

OMG!  I missed the fine print and this sumbitch  is “Daylight”, and it is like being inside a nuclear \\~}}% reactor!

Yeah... in 2 years one of the 3 LED lights (over my front porch)  that should last 10 years or more died.  I didn't pay attention... now I have 1 'warm' light and 2 'daylight' color lights over my porch. I guess in 10 years I'll get a new bulb with the correct color.  WoBG hasn't noticed yet...  when she does... I may be changing the bulb sooner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I let my fingers do the walking and ordered low profile cool white LED buns from Amazon

Sounds delicious.  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always buy the brightest, whitest bulbs I can find. Maybe I’ll have to wear sunglasses inside if I ever get my cataracts fixed.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I always buy the brightest, whitest bulbs I can find. Maybe I’ll have to wear sunglasses inside if I ever get my cataracts fixed.

An old cow-orker became enamored of daylight fluorescents and had his office done in them. It glowed. :D  One visitor walked in and with wide eyes asked: “Who is your decorator?”  :D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

An old cow-orker became enamored of daylight fluorescents and had his office done in them. It glowed. :D  One visitor walked in and with wide eyes asked: “Who is your decorator?”  :D

 

I replaced my kitchen light that was 2 four foot fluorescents with the brightest LED they sold about the same size. I could do surgery in the kitchen now.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2021 at 10:02 AM, MickinMD said:

As I asked here a few month's back, are CFL's were even for sale anymore - the answers tended to be, "No, in most stores."

I went to Walmart get replacement bulbs for my burned-out apartment CFL's (3 burned out soon after I moved in?) and could only find LED's.  I had stocked up on CFL's enough at my house that I hadn't needed to buy bulbs for over a year.

The 60W equivalent soft-white LED's are brighter than the 60W equiv. CFL's.  There are three lights above my kitchen island and the LED I put in one end one end's light caught my eye too much while watching TV in my living room area, so I put one of the old CFL's in that socket.  Problem solved.  If that burns out, I guess I'll have to find a 45W equiv LED.

You could go with programmable bulbs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Hmmmm....  I think you did it wrong.  "I let my fingers do the walking."  Was a "Yellow Pages" slogan.   

Amazon didn't exist when there were Yellow Pages.  And think it also is true that Yellow Pages don't exist now when we have Amazon.    I can't remember the last time I got a phone book or yellow pages.

Yeah... in 2 years one of the 3 LED lights (over my front porch)  that should last 10 years or more died.  I didn't pay attention... now I have 1 'warm' light and 2 'daylight' color lights over my porch. I guess in 10 years I'll get a new bulb with the correct color.  WoBG hasn't noticed yet...  when she does... I may be changing the bulb sooner. 

No problem!  Outside is a great place for those bright ones!

I reporpoised “Fingers doing the walking” from the yellow pages to online ordering. :)

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...