When I type too fast, my u pops off

Ralphie

I think I like keeping old shit running because it sort of parallels what we have to do with our own minds and bodies - there is no expediency of trading in every few years, we have to run what we brung and keep it patched together, like 50s cars in Cuba. :D  But we do have a leg up on them, because although we both deteriorate due to age, at least we can regenerate certain boo-boos.

cuban-classic-cars-7.jpg?w=760

• Heart 2

I watched an interesting documentary some years ago on one of my local news programs (from Detroit) aboot the old cars in Cuba. There are people down there that will make parts, and try to piece together fixes because the real parts are not available.  Heck, they were making everything from window roller uppers, to body panels. Most if not all them cars are not original, but still run.

There is machinery in the mill that is over a hundred years old and still in (mostly) regular service.

It takes longer, and costs more to repair than modern machinery, because a lot of the parts have to be fabricated, which often involves casting, machining, and heat treating, none of which happens fast, particularly heat treating. 

Over time new machines would be more cost efficient, but the leaders balk at the up front cost, almost like they don't expect the place to be in business long enough to pay off the new stuff....which makes me nervous   

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I watched an interesting documentary some years ago on one of my local news programs (from Detroit) aboot the old cars in Cuba. There are people down there that will make parts, and try to piece together fixes because the real parts are not available.  Heck, they were making everything from window roller uppers, to body panels. Most if not all them cars are not original, but still run.

I wonder if the old cars are still there?  What with modernization and some opening of Cuba as well as hurricanes. 

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I think I like keeping old shit running because it sort of parallels what we have to do with our own minds and bodies

Or just type slower.   Problem solved.   Kind of like walking, riding, or thinking slower.   Works for me...

• Awesome 1