Soup

petitepedal

The Splended Table ...is talking soup..they are starting with Chicken Soup..but moving on to all soups...Not sure of the name of the guest and their book about Soup (If it pops up while I am writing this I will toss it in.)  I don't do a lot of soup..I am terrible at making it...at least like chicken or beef stew..cos...as a kid..my mom just tossed the bones and meat in a pot with seasoning and "presto" soup...Some of my soups are pretty blah...I would like to make more.  "Jen Lewis The Chicken Soup Manifesto"  <----the answer to who is the guest today....  Okay My other challenge is soup makes sooooooo much....I use to make a simple soup called "Spanish Hamburger Soup" out of one of my "cooking for one or two" kinda cookbooks... That was nice...2 to 4 servings..ALL I need.

I have a little butternut squash...and I have coconut milk...hmmmm maybe I should make soup.

Do you have a favorite soup? or Soup recipe? 

• Heart 1

I have split pea on the menu this week, which means bakery bread, too. 
I put a bag of cleaned and rinsed split peas into the crockpot with chopped half an onion, two potatoes, two carrots, a clove of garlic, salt and pepper. Add water an inch above and cook on low all day. A couple of hours before dinner time, I add a pound of kielbasa or smoked beef sausage and a handful of chopped parsley and continue cooking. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

I like soup. I find it very easy to make. Chunky stuff, flavors, and a liquid. NYE we ordered Peking Duck for dinner. The restaurant added the duck carcass with the order. I’d feel guilty throwing a gift like that out so I googled some duck soup recipes. I made stock with the bones, quartered onion, celery rib, bay leaf, salt and peppercorns. Cooked down and picked the bones for meat. Refrigerated that overnight and then sautéed an onion, celery, garlic and minced ginger. Added chopped carrots, bok choy, stock, soy sauce (1 Tblsp) fish sauce, Thai chiles, sesame oil, firm tofu and shiitake mushrooms and cooked to soften vegetables. Very good for my first attempt. I pressure canned 4 pints to enjoy later. On Christmas, I made a clam chowdah with steamed clams, the broth, onion, potatoes, bacon and cream. That was excellent too. My Dad who is considered the king of chowdah by my cousins in Massachusetts would have approved. 

F0DAE97B-56AA-4D61-BC47-9FC684811571.jpeg

A77B0AE7-AC78-4FA1-AE0A-D23BE1E5FFDB.jpeg

• Awesome 1

26 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Ooh, thanks for the reminder that there is a small serving of prime rib soup left that needs to be eaten.

OK, this is snot a very healthy thing to eat after seeing it refrigerated.

You did pick all the fat off the soup before you heated it didn’t you?

We bought a whole chicken.  I butchered it, froze the thighs, legs and breast meat.  I tossed the rest in the insta pot with seasoning, and water.  The pot has been set for 45 minutes.  When it is done, I will pull the meat, toss the bones, skim the fat, and return all to the pot and cook some potato, celery, carrot and onion.  Simple and easy.

One chicken makes us a bunch of meals. No waste.

If I didn';t care so much about my health, I would consider pulling the skin and deep fry it.  

2 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Yes.  That was horrifying and it makes me happy that I cook mostly vegetarian.  My wife however is more devoted to carnivorism and she does the bulk of the cooking. 

My mom used to make soup and refrigerate it so she could easily remove the fat. She was way ahead of her time. Some things she served the first meal hot and then she removed the fat from the leftovers after they had been refrigerated.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

My mom used to make soup and refrigerate it so she could easily remove the fat. She was way ahead of her time. Some things she served the first meal hot and then she removed the fat from the leftovers after they had been refrigerated.

It is a very good separation process! Reminds me of ice beer. :D

• Awesome 1

For butternut squash soup,  I make a veggie or chicken broth using a bouillon cube first.

I saute finely minced /smash ginger root, a small white /yellow onion (not much) with cubed squash and either 1 pear or apple.  Then I pour in broth after 5 min. of sautee the squash and seasonings together. Simmer until soft. Use an immersion blender to puree.

You could try sautee some curry paste for a change. That would go well with coconut milk.

I serve it with a dollop of plain yogurt ...for flair, garnish with a fresh herb...dill or basil. 

You could also try tomato egg drop soup which is Asian-influenced.  WIth any clear broth, add in sliced tomatoes. Can also add in some drained/cooked noodles.  5 min. before taking off stove heat, whip up 1 egg and pour into hot soup. Stir around and the egg will naturally shred/auto-cook.

Voila...that's your supper.