I made $309 selling gold today

JerrySTL

The prices for precious metals are very high right now. Gold is $1,856.50 a troy ounce and silver is $25.57. Platinum is $1,045.80 while palladium is $2,404.75 so watch out for the catalytic converters on your cars.

We had an old, broke ladies watch, WoJSTL's HS class ring, and a tiny golden pin. No a bad haul for something our kids might just throw away when we are gone.

They are paying $8.50 for the 40% Kennedy half dollars and over twice that much for the 90% halves. I have dozen or more of those. I need to dig them out before the silver price goes down.

A few months ago I also made nearly $2000 for my mother selling some old silverware and Morgan dollars.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How do you know where to take them to sell? It seems a perfect setup for a shyster. 

I went to a local coin and sports memorabilia store that's been in business for decades around here. It has a good BBB rating also. Where I took my mother's stuff in Kentucky was not as big or nice, but it was handy and I was short on time. Still I weighed the silverware and knew the silver value of the coins so I had a good idea of what they were worth. You'll get less than the silver price as that's how those places make a profit.

33 minutes ago, 12string said:

I hope you used that money to buy some really nice flowers to give your wife when you tell her you sold her ring.

I've been married for almost 44 years now. I gave the entire $309 to her. As WoJSTL says "What is mine is mine. What is yours is also mine."

• Haha 4

A little different than my silver slinging biz in 08. We paid off a second mortgage with my side gig and then I got out. Worked out well for me.

I remember riding my bike up to the mailbox to deliver outgoing packages and my bike was so heavy. 😆 

I paid my taxes on the deal and still made a killing 

really miss my shiny stuff

• Awesome 1

My brother has an eBay business where he buys bulk computer parts like memory cards and CPUs. He tests them and if they pass, he sells them on eBay so that people can upgrade their computers. If they fail, he sells them to recyclers who melt them down for the gold. He has a room in his basement with a lot of motherboards on shelves to test the parts. He's making about $20k a year working part time. Later this year he turns 66.3 YO and plans on retiring from his day job and doing this part time gig more like full time.

• Heart 1

I made another $150 selling silver coins. Most were 40% Kennedy half dollars. Back in the 70s I would get a roll of half dollars when I cashed my paycheck. I would save those with silver and spend the rest. I cashed in 53 of them today plus some silver dimes, quarters, and 3 Canadian dollars.

Back in the 80's and 90's, a lot of computer cards had gold plated connections and many high school science departments ran fundraisers where parents and students would bring in old computer parts and the gold would be dissolved off the cards and then purified.