Had to get out of the gym early today

12string

It got to the point that I couldn't find a bench or machine away from a moron that can't figure out how to wear a mask.  At least 80% had noses out, about 5 or 6 people not bothering to even pretend they wanted to wear a mask.

I stopped at the desk on the way out to chat with the manager, he wasn't there.  Apparently a few others complained, he was out on the floor "reminding"

• Heart 2

22 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Fact: Coronavirus can't get in or out of your nose.

Don, you have to call that a "Fun Fact".  Folks around here are looking for an oasis from the crazy world, and just being kind enough to add a simple three letter word to the front of your post would really brighten most folks' day!

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Don, you have to call that a "Fun Fact".  Folks around here are looking for an oasis from the crazy world, and just being kind enough to add a simple three letter word to the front of your post would really brighten most folks' day!

Don't tell me what to do.

Just had this conversation at a coffee shop with the baristas. The girl asked if I do any workouts besides my bike. I told her I run sometimes and would go to PF if people weren't such jerks. The guy said he uses the busy hours graph to judge when to go, but he is young and single. For me it's go after work or it's not happening. Peak busy time and peak jerk time apparently. If we don't see a spike this week, I'm going to watch the new case trend. If it keeps going down, I may chance the gym in a few weeks.. 

9 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I miss the gym. I’ve always been disgusted by the behaviors I witness there. Spitting in the showers, not wiping down machines. Haven’t been since March, but would probably be too creeped out to enjoy it. 

I have seen repellent behavior, although I feel it is entirely unnecessary to wipe down equipment unless you are sweating.  Yeah, where your hands touch, sure, but I am not doing cardio (or wasn't, when I used to go to a gym) when I am on a bench, nor am I sweating any little bit when lifting weights unless it is hot as hell.

The grunters and equipment squatters are what always pissed me off the most.  Don't text on the fucking machine, I have told that in those terms to many deserving people.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, groupw said:

Just had this conversation at a coffee shop with the baristas. The girl asked if I do any workouts besides my bike. I told her I run sometimes and would go to PF if people weren't such jerks. The guy said he uses the busy hours graph to judge when to go, but he is young and single. For me it's go after work or it's not happening. Peak busy time and peak jerk time apparently. If we don't see a spike this week, I'm going to watch the new case trend. If it keeps going down, I may chance the gym in a few weeks.. 

Find some heavy things around the house.  You'd be surprised what can be used for fitness.  Got stairs?

• Heart 1

I go to Esporta near me.  mid day there are probably 30 people in the place.  The state would allow about 140. I estimate that 50-75 % wear masks properly and all the time.  of the rest they either have the nose exposed all the time, or, have the mask under their chin most of the time. There was one guy walking around Monday that didnt appear to have a mask, although he had to be wearing one to get in.  When I was leaving he did have a mask on.

I wipe down what my hands touch, since I dont do cardio at the gym.  mrs_az_cyclist asked me to cut back to 1 day at the gym when the latest surge kicked in.  I feel relatively safe as there is a lot of spacing.

• Heart 1

My gym is not crowded ever. I haven’t been there in forever because I haven’t been anywhere. I’m just guessing but I think the members would be really good with the masks, except for the pool. Even before Covid 90% of the members wiped down the equipment with disinfectant. Staff members were always wiping down stuff as well. I’d like to go back some day because it was always my lifestyle, maybe if the vaccine works. Right now I’d be happy to be able to go for a walk, run, or ride.

• Hugs 2

9 hours ago, donkpow said:

Fact: Coronavirus can't get in or out of your nose.

You're joking, right?

The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.

»Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).

»Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks.

»These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention-H.pdf

The findings suggest the virus tends to become firmly established first in the nasal cavity. Then, in some cases, the virus is aspirated into the lungs where it may cause more serious disease, including potentially fatal pneumonia.

“If the nose is the dominant initial site from which lung infections are seeded, then the widespread use of masks to protect the nasal passages, as well as any therapeutic strategies that reduce virus in the nose, such as nasal irrigation or antiviral nasal sprays, could be beneficial,”

Source: https://sph.unc.edu/sph-news/researchers-map-how-coronavirus-infection-travels-through-cells-of-nasal-cavity-and-respiratory-tract/

Let's start with the obvious. Since it is a respiratory virus, you can spread coronavirus through your nose and mouth. Sneezing, coughing, yelling, and even talking (yes, just talking!) could expel respiratory droplets, which can contain the virus if you're infected.

Source: https://www.biospace.com/article/all-the-ways-we-know-that-you-can-get-coronavirus/

Going for my PT is like going to the gym.  It's a bit scary when you realize that the trainers handle and touch each patient.  Even though they wipe down everything constantly and wear masks properly all the time they must be in a high risk group.  If covid is so easily transmitted by folks without symptoms it can spread in places like this before anyone knows it.

12 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I have seen repellent behavior, although I feel it is entirely unnecessary to wipe down equipment unless you are sweating.  Yeah, where your hands touch, sure, but I am not doing cardio (or wasn't, when I used to go to a gym) when I am on a bench, nor am I sweating any little bit when lifting weights unless it is hot as hell.

The grunters and equipment squatters are what always pissed me off the most.  Don't text on the fucking machine, I have told that in those terms to many deserving people.

I always felt my policy was the best policy - ie I wipe down the machine with the disinfectant rags BEFORE I use it, but not AFTER I use it.  I will use my towel to wipe up sweat that went spraying off me on a treadmill, but not another disinfectant wipe down.

Why? Because then it is clean to MY standard, and not double cleaned (wasteful) like when some other person comes along and rewipes something I just wiped.  For the weights, where you're not flinging sweat everywhere, it makes the most sense to be responsible for your own level of germ protection - ie wipe the stuff down before you start to the level of cleanliness you are aiming for, and let the next person do the same for themselves.  That way, you are also not pissed off constantly that the last person didn't wipe the machine down! Who cares, since you are going to wipe it down anyway, so no "double" duty required for you.

50 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I always felt my policy was the best policy - ie I wipe down the machine with the disinfectant rags BEFORE I use it, but not AFTER I use it.  I will use my towel to wipe up sweat that went spraying off me on a treadmill, but not another disinfectant wipe down.

Why? Because then it is clean to MY standard, and not double cleaned (wasteful) like when some other person comes along and rewipes something I just wiped.  For the weights, where you're not flinging sweat everywhere, it makes the most sense to be responsible for your own level of germ protection - ie wipe the stuff down before you start to the level of cleanliness you are aiming for, and let the next person do the same for themselves.  That way, you are also not pissed off constantly that the last person didn't wipe the machine down! Who cares, since you are going to wipe it down anyway, so no "double" duty required for you.

So what you're saying is every man for himself and screw all the dirt bags. Is that about it?

4 minutes ago, donkpow said:

So what you're saying is every man for himself and screw all the dirt bags. Is that about it?

I'm gonna wipe the equipment down before I use regardless, so WTF should I being doing double duty?  If folks all did the wipe for themselves, there would be a much more rational and less-confrontational process.  If dirt bag doesn't mind my cooties, dirt bag doesn't need to wipe the equipment down before use.  God knows dirt bag ain't gonna wipe it down after use.