Why are people crapping their pants about the Vogue cover?

Randomguy

8 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Because nothing else big is happening in the news this year.

Actual one-time fashion critic Robin Givhan of the Washington Post, now a senior critic-at-large, described it as lacking authority and grandeur, and consequently failing to give Harris her due respect. 

What I want to know is......what is a senior large critic?

I think because some people thought that they didn't do her justice with a good cover.  Possibly Wintour wanted her to look relatable to normal people.  

Personally, I liked her shoes.  This is her normal look.  That black outfit and her sneakers.  I didn't love the sloppy backdrop.  

Some say she looked washed out.  What I don't love is when these magazines fake what someone really looks like.  I am supposed to compete with people airbrushed and photoshopped.  Fuck you, <insert magazines that print pics of women that are touched up and fake>

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

People thought this first pic was too casual for Vogue and Harris.  Personally, I couldn't care less what they print:

She looks fine.  Like she isn't ever supposed to be casually dressed?  The world is changing, and people are dressing more casually all the time.  She looks relatable dressed down.

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Magazines?  Are those still a thing? Do people still read them?

Did you let your Bicycling subscription lapse????? WTF??? 

I remember when I got a "free" subscription from MULTIPLE groups - Performance, LAB, etc.. - so it became almost a burden trying to keep multiple issues from arriving.  Ah, the 90s and 00s!  Glory days for cycling - but those days may be returning :D

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Randomguy said:

She looks fine.  Like she isn't ever supposed to be casually dressed?  The world is changing, and people are dressing more casually all the time.  She looks relatable dressed down.

I believe some of the criticism is from people of color feeling that her skin color seems paler than is usually does. Not necessarily that she’s been airbrushed like @Dirtyhip mentions, but just flooded out. I believe some people view this as an affront to their race. But that’s Twitter. 

I think the Harris camp is upset primarily because the more formal picture was what they had agreed to, Vogue went back on their word with the more casual cover for their on-line release.

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I believe some of the criticism is from people of color feeling that her skin color seems paler than is usually does. Not necessarily that she’s been airbrushed like @Dirtyhip mentions, but just flooded out. I believe some people view this as an affront to their race. But that’s Twitter. 

One of the challenges of photographing people of color is lighting is generally balanced to complement caucasian skin tones. Often when I shoot with black people, skin tones can look "dirty".  I want to play with custom white balances to see if that can be a workaround. Unfortunately, I don't get to work with enough people of color to make it the priority it should be. 

Since the photographer, I believe is a POC, he may be more sensitive to this situation and created some custom balances himself. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I believe some of the criticism is from people of color feeling that her skin color seems paler than is usually does. Not necessarily that she’s been airbrushed like @Dirtyhip mentions, but just flooded out. I believe some people view this as an affront to their race.

She ain't the blackest black chick out there, why do people have to be more or less than what they are?  This all seems so weird to me.

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

She ain't the blackest black chick out there, why do people have to be more or less than what they are?  This all seems so weird to me.

I think she does look lighter skinned in the gold backdrop/blue suit than she is IRL. So I imagine for someone who very racially focused, it seems they are trying to “whiten” the first Vice President of Color. I’m not saying I agree with that reaction, but I can understand where it’s coming from.

3 hours ago, groupw said:

Since the photographer, I believe is a POC, he may be more sensitive to this situation and created some custom balances himself. 

I’d think Vogue would have that down pretty well?

6 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think the Harris camp is upset primarily because the more formal picture was what they had agreed to, Vogue went back on their word with the more casual cover for their on-line release.

I think she has been simply light flooded out. Of course, she has abit of make-up.  She had dark circles under her eyes on the morning after the Capitol invasion.

I like her running shoes. 

The matter of grades of "whiteness" among people of colour seems to matter to some folks. 

People are forgetting about their former Prez Obama who could be a sophisticated chameleon in behaviour among predominantly non-black social groups vs. predominantly black social groups. But of course he lived in different parts of the world when he was young...   Already Americans have a good example of a former leader on how to be effective in mixing with a wide range of social groups in a respectful manner.

I agree with groupw, that there are visual challenges in photographing various shades of skin darkness in a flattering way. 

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’d think Vogue would have that down pretty well?

You would think. But this has been a frequent complaint as long as I have been photographing people. I admit that I don’t pay that much attention to Vogue. But I find when I do get to shoot with POC, they appreciate my efforts to put them in the best light. Pun only partially intended. 

• Awesome 1