My LBS closed in 2020

TrentonMakes

And I didn't realize it until after the fact. In December I went to see if I could get tires for my wife's bike and the exterior (including the sign) had all been painted over in black. Building was empty. 

Sometime last summer I stopped in for something (tubes maybe)? I thought the new bike inventory seemed low but I figured it was supply issues. Now I wonder if they knew it then. 

I patronized this place often when we first moved to the Trenton area, though I moved on after they screwed up a few things (3 strikes). In the mid 2010s I had started to go back; always liked the feel of the space, the people were really friendly, and there was usually a Shop Dog which was nice.

RIP Knapp's Cyclery. :(

• Sad 6

20 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Considering that LBS's have been doing great business during COVID, there may have been other issues.

This.

Every shop here was buried in repair work and were sold out of most bikes. Shops had 10-14 day wait on repairs. 

We were in a shop last weekend and had trouble finding an employee to sell us a bike. They were swamped.

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Considering that LBS's have been doing great business during COVID, there may have been other issues.

Maybe so. It looks like in the summer they posted on FB that they were unable to take in bikes for repairs because they couldn't get parts. Then a September post advertising 75% off most remaining inventory...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, dennis said:

This.

Every shop here was buried in repair work and were sold out of most bikes. Shops had 10-14 day wait on repairs. 

We were in a shop last weekend and had trouble finding an employee to sell us a bike. They were swamped.

I had to wait 3 months to get the pivot bearings on my Anthem replaced. The guys at the shop said they were slammed as well.  I made the appointment then called another shop known for good service and they stopped servicing bikes they didn’t sell.  Just couldn’t keep up with the demand.

My brother used to hit up a LBS by his work. He bought several bikes & gear over the years.  The owner called him late 2019 saying he was closing doors & to come check out his close out deals. He bought a sweet Trance 29’r.   But damn if he could have held on a bit longer...  

• Heart 1