True confessions: Why did you join this God forsaken place?

Dottleshead

I thought to try forums again after LF hijinks/messiness years ago. I returned after a few yrs. ago. I need a place for mindless, friendly chatter where people at least express themselves in sentences, instead of grunts and gasps.

And oh, we talk about bikes occasionally which I like. I like the distant support in general from humans, not a robot. Occasionally I learn something...now whether or not it's true stuff.. :flirtyeyess:

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

a place for mindless, friendly chatter where people at least express themselves in sentences, instead of grunts and gasps.

I joined that forum too, and they kicked me out so I landed here.

I joined for two reasons:

- There was no Hoopla, and

- I was promised if I earned enough jsharr Reward Points there would be fabulous prizes!  :nodhead:

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

The details of my life are quite inconsequential.... My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy.... My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloé with webbed feet. My father would womanize; he would drink; he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.[1][2]

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

The best time I had at the old place was in a sub forum called 50+.  That was a crew much like this one with just a touch more bike talk.  Then it was invaded by some older gents who wanted to prove they were still cat 2s and a moderator who insisted on moving all threads not related to cyclist issues over 50 to other sub forums.  I spent some time in P&R (a very liberal P&R but with a great mod who kept the place under control)  He died.  The forum stopped discussing politics and went all rant all the time.

Here I am.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

The details of my life are quite inconsequential.... My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy.... My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloé with webbed feet. My father would womanize; he would drink; he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.[1][2]

You really are an eville person

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I joined that forum too, and they kicked me out so I landed here.

I joined for two reasons:

- There was no Hoopla, and

- I was promised if I earned enough jsharr Reward Points there would be fabulous prizes!  :nodhead:

Da Meter says 27,826,987,023 Jsharr points

• Haha 1

I joined the other forum for the Maintenance & Repair info.   I only had Biker Billy beat me up a few times.   Then I found the LF.  The discussions were interesting. 

If I recall...  the LF was down for 'upgrades' and we got a free pass to use (more like abuse for some) some kind of Gardening forum.   

I joined SWC early.  Posted at both places for a while.   Then work got too busy, so I didn't have time posting in any forums for years.  

Then I retired...  the other place was gone.  2 (or 3) other forums where I posted were gone too.  

I found the bookmark for the SWC and it still worked.  My userid and password still worked.   The discussions are still interesting.  

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

Honestly, I have no idea.  I had an account on the other site but only asked a couple questions.  There were things there I did not like so didnt post.  Like one guy thought hockey was stupid(wtf????)

(The four ? were strictly for @ChrisL)

Not sure how I ended up here but seemed like a place where I would not be called an idiot for asking a noob question about bikes so I stayed.  Once I got to 'know' people here, it became a place of escape and frivolity for me

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

10 hours ago, Dottles said:

Ok, how about a better question. How and why did you come to SWC forums? I personally got kicked out of the other place that shall go unnamed and enjoyed the challenge of being myself here. And I liked the people. 

It had reached the point at the place that shall go unnamed where I had to look over my words very carefully before posting so one slight inaccuracy would not be pounced on by some asshole, which happened frequently to many there.  I left that place for a few months, came back, and saw the same angry attacks on people posting articles on commonplace, non-political things they described.

Then, I began to notice people on that site mentioning "the other site" and that led me here, a site without the assholes.

• Heart 1

Joined? So that is what they are calling it these days. :scratchhead:

I was dragged in kicking and screaming. Isn't everyone being confined with occasional breadcrumbs spread your way. If you are really good, you are allowed to ride a bike, but must return to where you started. :frantics:

RG brought me here.  I was posting in LF and here, but then some LF people started to shun me for posting here.  Some of those regulars were bullies and had their way of making people feel unwelcome.  I finally left for good and made this my home.

Additionally, I felt an obligation to help our fearless leader with membership here.  He did a alot to make a new home for us.  I didn't see the writing on the wall of the end of the LF.  The exodusspoke volumes.  Everyone that left early knew.

RIP to the LF.

• Thank You 1

12 hours ago, BuffJim said:

LF had performance and password issues that became a real drain on my life. Back then SWF had a functioning parody meter. That was a big draw. Also knew that once I scared off FY, there was no opposition to my status as forum badass. A kinder, gentler badass. 

This makes TOTAL sense.  I always had a vague feeling about a few of those points, but this really brings clarity to the topic.

• Hugs 1

9 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Honestly, I have no idea.  I had an account on the other site but only asked a couple questions.  There were things there I did not like so didnt post.  Like one guy thought hockey was stupid(wtf????)

(The four ? were strictly for @ChrisL)

Not sure how I ended up here but seemed like a place where I would not be called an idiot for asking a noob question about bikes so I stayed.  Once I got to 'know' people here, it became a place of escape and frivolity for me

Did I answer your 4 questions?   I was sometimes reluctant to post bike info for fear of getting slapped down by VB. 

During the Great Failed Software Update at the LF we were encouraged to visit other forums until they corrected the EXTREMELY long list of install issues.  I visited The OG.  The old ladies and punks in tight jeans got offended by my posts supporting Monsanto (everyone needs a little Roundup for their garden) and talking about eating Big Macs for lunch.  They complained and the moderator (was it Mark?) kicked me out at about the same time the LF came back on line.  He then continued to harass me back at the LF.  We had words and he threatened to suspend me (like I cared).  And after not suspending me he then threatened to ban me.  That was the exact same time that SW started this place of paradise we have grown to know and love.  I visited the LF after that from time to time but it was dying.  Soon the only ones left there were ChrisL and RE and it was difficult to follow their threads since only one of them had/has more than half a brain. 

Chris was posting here and pretty soon half a brain RE showed up.  I was never sure why SW accepted his application.  He must have needed the money for the new car fund.

#pilingon

• Heart 1

Same as a lot of others... i joined the LF in 2002 (I think) but had pretty much abandoned it - partly because of what i felt it had become, and partly because i went quite a few years without any serious riding, when the kids were little. 

Anyway I popped in the LF at some point near the end, and a few days later was invited here. 

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

During the Great Failed Software Update at the LF we were encouraged to visit other forums until they corrected the EXTREMELY long list of install issues.  I visited The OG.  The old ladies and punks in tight jeans got offended by my posts supporting Monsanto (everyone needs a little Roundup for their garden) and talking about eating Big Macs for lunch.  They complained and the moderator (was it Mark?) kicked me out at about the same time the LF came back on line.  He then continued to harass me back at the LF.  We had words and he threatened to suspend me (like I cared).  And after not suspending me he then threatened to ban me.  That was the exact same time that SW started this place of paradise we have grown to know and love.  I visited the LF after that from time to time but it was dying.  Soon the only ones left there were ChrisL and RE and it was difficult to follow their threads since only one of them had/has more than half a brain. 

Chris was posting here and pretty soon half a brain RE showed up.  I was never sure why SW accepted his application.  He must have needed the money for the new car fund.

#pilingon

I remember having a chat with @donkpow& @Razors Edge as the LF ship was sinking about coming over.

There were a couple of folks as mentioned above who popped in on occasion but the LF was mostly a Don/Tom/Chris private chat room towards the end. 

Whatever happened to Jasondude?  He threatened to come here but I don’t recall seeing that he came over?

The LF really did die around the time of the software migration. Several old timers dropped off around that time.  I also could no longer log in on my phone. I was working from home then & had an old PC I played music on and posted on the forums. If that PC died I would have been locked out of the LF anyway.

• Heart 1