Yikes - 6 weeks with a temporary crown

MickinMD

My dentist and her partner are booked solid until Feb. 22nd for the 1.5 hr. appointment I need for a permanent crown to replace the temporary one I got yesterday after the root canals.

Here's hoping they get a cancellation!  After I said I was told not to chew on the temporary crown and am living on tomato soup, etc. I was told that if there's a cancellation, I'm at the top of the list.

I was told there have been a rush of appointments of people who put things off due to COVID (yet now it's at its peak!) and they've had a flood of appointments since the Holidays.  Maybe COVID will get some of them to cancel.

Meanwhile, my dinners for a while will be Martha Stewart's Savory Fall Stew (Italian sausage & veggies), meatloaf with mac & cauliflower & cheese, Ham (soft Turkey Ham), Bean and Veggies Soup, and Chicken Soup made with chicken thighs.

I've got a few cans of Amy's excellent Tomato Bisque Soup.  Anyone know if these are any good? At $4.69 a carton they better be. I'm either going to enjoy or suffer through them (maybe with some saltines softened in them) for four lunches:

20210113_181849_900p.cropped.jpg.a3cb96dac64a6dc4d67088ac719963fe.jpg 20210113_181923_900p.cropped.thumb.jpg.7dc4b711e46aeecb5afa5699b448bf9b.jpg

I went that long with a temp crown. I had the temp put in just before Covid became a real thing and had to wait until the state of Illinois allowed dentists to work again. I had no trouble with the crown although I made sure to not chew on that side.

I'm overdue a teeth cleaning but I'm putting that off for about a year.

54 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Here's hoping they get a cancellation!  After I said I was told not to chew on the temporary crown and am living on tomato soup, etc. I was told that if there's a cancellation, I'm at the top of the list.

Really???? I thought a temporary - while not as good as a permanent - was relatively usable.  Sorry to hear.

I, like Jerry, am also overdue for my teeth cleaning :(

I treated my temporary crown as just another tooth. The only risk was that it may come loose but that’s really caused by eating foods like taffy and such. My dentist told me not to pull the floss straight up on the sides but to pull the floss out horizontally. No issues for me. 

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

My dentist and her partner are booked solid until Feb. 22nd for the 1.5 hr. appointment I need for a permanent crown to replace the temporary one I got yesterday after the root canals.

I was told there have been a rush of appointments of people who put things off due to COVID (yet now it's at its peak!) and they've had a flood of appointments since the Holidays.  Maybe COVID will get some of them to cancel.

Meanwhile, my dinners for a while will be Martha Stewart's Savory Fall Stew (Italian sausage & veggies), meatloaf with mac & cauliflower & cheese, Ham (soft Turkey Ham), Bean and Veggies Soup, and Chicken Soup made with chicken thighs.

I've got a few cans of Amy's excellent Tomato Bisque Soup.  Anyone know if these are any good? At $4.69 a carton they better be. I'm either going to enjoy or suffer through them (maybe with some saltines softened in them) for four lunches:

20210113_181849_900p.cropped.jpg.a3cb96dac64a6dc4d67088ac719963fe.jpg 20210113_181923_900p.cropped.thumb.jpg.7dc4b711e46aeecb5afa5699b448bf9b.jpg

Those are good soups, but salt inside is higher than listed, guaranteed.  Also, save yourself a buck at least on each of those and go to Trader Joe's and buy the exact same thing much cheaper.

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I treated my temporary crown as just another tooth. The only risk was that it may come loose but that’s really caused by eating foods like taffy and such. My dentist told me not to pull the floss straight up on the sides but to pull the floss out horizontally. No issues for me. 

This.  I had two and was told not to eat sticky foods like taffy or caramels and be careful when flossing.

I wouldn’t stress too much about it Mick,  eat the soups for now but if you get tired of soft foods just be careful when chewing.  

YOu don't need to go all liquid.  Just don't chew on that side.

I broke a wisdom tooth the day before COVID shut down the dentist.  A few months later, I was finally able to get in.  Dentist said the .tooth had to be surgically removed, but there's no tooth under it, so no rush.  Since i had the chair time, she did a temporary on a tooth that needed a crown.  The temporary kept falling off during the two weeks I waited for the permanent.  Really annoying.

Still haven't  done anything about the broken tooth - except to break it more

I just had a temporary crown put on today.  My appointment for the permanent crown isn't until March 2.  

The dentist told me to avoid chewing gum and anything really hard and crunchy, but most foods were okay.  I've had a number of temporary crowns in the past and never had any problem with them, no matter what I ate.  

23 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

My dentist makes crowns on site :)  No temporary needed. Very convenient.

Wrong in this case. You would need a temporary. After the root canal, a permanent crown can NOT be made for at least 2 weeks because the tooth and rubber-like stuff has to "settle down."

My dentist makes permanent crowns on site, too.  Unfortunately, that calls for a 90 min. appointment and that's why I couldn't get one until Feb. 22nd.

On 1/14/2021 at 11:02 AM, JerrySTL said:

I went that long with a temp crown. I had the temp put in just before Covid became a real thing and had to wait until the state of Illinois allowed dentists to work again. I had no trouble with the crown although I made sure to not chew on that side.

I'm overdue a teeth cleaning but I'm putting that off for about a year.

Thanks, that's reassuring!  I'm trying eat softer stuff as much as practical - turkey ham and chicken sausage instead of steak, etc.

23 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Really???? I thought a temporary - while not as good as a permanent - was relatively usable.  Sorry to hear.

I, like Jerry, am also overdue for my teeth cleaning :(

It is relatively usable - as a cover over the nerves, rubber-replacement-of-the-pulp, etc.

I'm not supposed to chew on it, and that's typical of a temporary.  My fear - and it's already happened - is that I'll be watching the news, a movie, etc. on TV while I'm eating and will subconsciously shift food to the right side of my mouth and chew.

It was no big deal with a sausage and veggies stew and with meatloaf with mac & cauliflower & cheese.

So I'm trying to stay away from steak, salads with hard veggies in them, and other tough or hard materials.

19 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Wrong in this case. You would need a temporary. After the root canal, a permanent crown can NOT be made for at least 2 weeks because the tooth and rubber-like stuff has to "settle down."

My dentist makes permanent crowns on site, too.  Unfortunately, that calls for a 90 min. appointment and that's why I couldn't get one until Feb. 22nd.

Incorrect :D I had a root canal, and he made the crown and installed it. One visit.

I have two crowns. My old one broke, and he made me another one while I waited :) 

I don't know dentistry, I just know what happened w/ me.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

It is relatively usable - as a cover over the nerves, rubber-replacement-of-the-pulp, etc.

I'm not supposed to chew on it, and that's typical of a temporary.  My fear - and it's already happened - is that I'll be watching the news, a movie, etc. on TV while I'm eating and will subconsciously shift food to the right side of my mouth and chew.

It was no big deal with a sausage and veggies stew and with meatloaf with mac & cauliflower & cheese.

So I'm trying to stay away from steak, salads with hard veggies in them, and other tough or hard materials.

Yeah been there done that.. I had a problematic molar, had a root canal, a retreatment and then it went bad a 3rd time.  Me dentist said I don’t think I can save it so we pulled it.

I currently just have a missing molar, been like that for a while and the gum is pretty tough so I chew normally. But every once in a while something like a hard pretzel or a hard candy (I’m a cruncher) will get wedged in the hole and wow look out!!!