New TV?

petitepedal

Ok..I only have a flat panel antenna..no cable or dish...I do not want to mount a TV over my fireplace...so I roll my 22 or 23 inch TV  from the den to my livingroom..my cart is probably 30 inches long...I have a $90 gift card good til the end of February at Best Buy...and...I could get $50 to $75 more in cards...should I buy a bigger TV...my coworker thinks I should get a 40 inch TV.... :dontknow:  Does it matter...

If no...what should I spend $90 at Best Buy?

4 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Ok..I only have a flat panel antenna..no cable or dish...I do not want to mount a TV over my fireplace...so I roll my 22 or 23 inch TV  from the den to my livingroom..my cart is probably 30 inches long...I have a $90 gift card good til the end of February at Best Buy...and...I could get $50 to $75 more in cards...should I buy a bigger TV...my coworker thinks I should get a 40 inch TV.... :dontknow:  Does it matter...

I thought you just bought a TV????? Or mounted one on a wall???

45" is perfect for normal rooms, but even the small 32"-40" ones are fine for normal TV. 

Or, when just laid up in bed, a laptop is fine for watching most things.

BIG TVs are nicest for sports and action movies.  We have the projector for "movie nights" and a 10' screen with the sound cranked up is great for movies, but not even remotely needed for general TV viewing.

TV’s are getting more & more reasonably priced but $90 ain’t gonna get it done... Have you ever just walked a Best Buy?  They have tons of little items from phones to music/DVD’s, accessories & of course TV’s computers & appliances.

I’m sure you could find a useful item for $90 if you really looked around either in store or on line. 

For the junky tv I watch my small screen is fine.  Would you use an air fryer? Or sonicare toothbrush?  You can get some tablets (or a kindle) in that price range as well. There are a few fire tablets in that range.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Save up your pennies and watch the sales.  The advice above about a smart TV that you can hook to the internet is good.  You can skip cable then.  Of course you need a good internet connection and unfortunately around here the providers are beginning to cap streaming because they are losing cable customers to streamers.

Where are you going to place a TV? Get a tape measure out and measure the space available. Also look at the actual physical dimensions of the TV. Screen size, such as the 40" Samsung above, is diagonal where the actual physical width 36.3"

For example. I also don't want above the fireplace, but one side is 36" and the other (preferred size is 48) with the capability to swing and angle (necessary due to seating opposite side of room). The largest I could fit in in the 48" is a 55" TV. 

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I went with a flat panel antenna and a 28" TV until the prices dropped for a 55" a few years ago and they're much cheaper now.  It finally reached the point where the separate TV and Internet packages available to me cost almost as much as the Fios TV + phone + Internet triple package and I stopped using an antenna, but there's nothing inferior-in-quality when using an antenna. It's great if it saves you money.

How big a TV depends on how far from the TV you're going to sit.  A rule of thumb is that if the listed screen size is more than 2/3 the distance you sit away from it, you're TV is too big to watch comfortably.

So, if you sit at least 5 feet (60 inches) away from the TV, that rule says a 40 inch TV should be enjoyable.

• Heart 1

We recently started using our smart TV to view Amazon Prime movies and tv shows.  We do have cable, but dont subscribe to HBO, Starz, Showtime,etc, any of those premium channels. We are also able to project YouTube from our iPads to view online church services.   ours is a 50 something inch TV.  What I really need is better speakers to hear it better, or, I need hearing aids.

• Heart 2

On 1/14/2021 at 1:55 PM, petitepedal said:

My suggestion...  first figure out how far you are sitting from your TV.  Then you can use the info here to select the size of your TV, viewing distance, and diagonal size (the dimension that is always used for comparison).   There is also info about just how large it will be width, height, and depth.  Find the actual dimensions for the TV you like before you buy it to be sure it will fit in the space you have.   Some people just for a HUGE for the TV, kind of like sitting in the first row at a movie theater (when they were open), which isn't generally isn't the best way to watch TV.

Then decide which room where you want to set up the TV.   I'd use the cart for something else.  If needed you can use 23 inch TV in the other room.   You don't want your new TV fall off of the cart during a move.