Otso Voytek

dinneR

49 minutes ago, dennis said:

Thinking about buying one. This is way more than I have ever spent on a bike. The q-factor is the key. Thoughts?

https://otsocycles.com/products/voytek-custom-bike-configurator

2020-Otso-Voytex_1.jpg

Trying to wrap my ahead around the Q factor issue. Is it because the tire clearance in the chainstays forces a wider BB?

Sweet fattie, I’d say pull the trigger!

22 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Trying to wrap my ahead around the Q factor issue. Is it because the tire clearance in the chainstays forces a wider BB?

Sweet fattie, I’d say pull the trigger!

Yes. The rear hub spacing went from 135 to 177 to 197 now on most fatbikes. That allows more tire clearance and bigger tires. In order for the chain to clear the tire you push out the bb which widens the pedaling stance or q-factor. The Otso has a 177 rear hub. It limits the bike to a narrower tire. 4.6 is the max in the rear and 5.0 up front.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

15 hours ago, dennis said:

The q-factor is the key. Thoughts?

Most single speeds ought to have a "better" q factor to begin with, but fat bikes definitely made that tougher to minimize.  If I was riding a fattie regularly and longer distances, I'd prefer a narrow q factor for sure. 

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Most single speeds ought to have a "better" q factor to begin with, but fat bikes definitely made that tougher to minimize.  If I was riding a fattie regularly and longer distances, I'd prefer a narrow q factor for sure. 

You can feel it on every ride, but during longer rides of 2 hrs or more it becomes really pronounced. 

I wish more companies made a narrow q-factor fatbke. I think Otso and the Borealis Telluride are the only options. Rocky Mountain made the Suzi-Q for a couple of seasons, but they dropped it. I've scoured the web for used bikes and can't find any with a narrow q-factor. None.

Otso sold out before they shipped a single bike. I thought my local dealer would have some, so I stopped in and they dropped Otso. I found one yesterday in a shop within driving distance. I met the owner a couple of years ago at a race.

0908181537.jpg

20 minutes ago, dennis said:

I wish more companies made a narrow q-factor fatbke.

I imagine it gets complicated balancing chain line, chain stay length, size, & shape, and tire clearance - especially as the cassette gets wider.  The bb naturally would be wider to get a straighter chain line across 12(!) gears, but on the flip side, these bike developers can likely get creative with designs and materials IF they choose to work to reduce q factor.  I definitely notice it switching between my road and old school MTB, and even that MTB isn't horribly wide, but just enough to notice.  I guess cranks can also be reworked (thinner) to some extent - probably mostly with carbon fiber - to pull them closer overall to the BB.

Fat bikes are still in the "teenage" years of bike development, so manufacturers can continue to figure it all out. Some are more "mature" for their age and already on the right track, so maybe the rest will pay attention?

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I imagine it gets complicated balancing chain line, chain stay length, size, & shape, and tire clearance - especially as the cassette gets wider.  The bb naturally would be wider to get a straighter chain line across 12(!) gears, but on the flip side, these bike developers can likely get creative with designs and materials IF they choose to work to reduce q factor.  I definitely notice it switching between my road and old school MTB, and even that MTB isn't horribly wide, but just enough to notice.  I guess cranks can also be reworked (thinner) to some extent - probably mostly with carbon fiber - to pull them closer overall to the BB.

Fat bikes are still in the "teenage" years of bike development, so manufacturers can continue to figure it all out. Some are more "mature" for their age and already on the right track, so maybe the rest will pay attention?

So true. It's a fine line balancing chain line, tire clearance etc. The push was to fit bigger tires in the frame. That led to the 190/197 rear hub. That hub spacing is the crux of the wide q-factor. 

I've been waiting for a few years for more narrow q-factor options. It hasn't happened. I can only find two now. I asked two local shops and they both said it's Borealis or Otso.

Otso offers carbon cranks that are 5 mm narrower than alloy

6 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Wisdom.  These are two of the most important points to consider.

But if it makes your decision any easier, I'd suggest you don't get too hung up on the second one.

I have an appt tomorrow to visit the bike and make a decision. 

My GF is the smart one. She keeps saying "You can replace your knees but do you really want to? Get the bike."

She also talked me into selling my singlespeeds. Same problem, knees. She just looked at me and said there's a solution and you know what it is. It's called a derailleur. 

• Haha 1