Eligible for COVID Vaccine on 1/25 in Maryland - Confusion reigns

MickinMD

Phase 1b (ages 75 and up and certain workers) kicks-in in Maryland on Mon. Jan. 18.

Me, age 70: Phase 1c (ages 65-74 and certain workers) kicks-in in Maryland on Mon. Jan. 25.

I wonder if I can make an appointment for Jan. 25.

I was at my family doctor's this morning to do my 3-month diabetic blood test.  They have no clue when they'll be giving the vaccine.  I go back next Fri. (1/22) and see the top doctor there for my diabetes followup - my Freestyle Libre should have led to terrific results.  Hopefully he'll know something then.

I went to the State website where you enter your zip code and it tells you where you can get the shot.  The one place listed near me is U of MD Medical System Baltimore-Washington Medical Center.  It's listing is below.

I says "UMMS patients."  Fortunately, I am a UMMS patient and am on their Patient Portal.  So when Phase 1c becomes available, will I receive an invitation through the portal?  Will it be mailed to me which then takes 10 days to get forwarded to my temporary apartment?  So I logged onto the Patient Portal (next pic) to see who to contact.

2059991142_UMMSMDStateInfo2021_01_15.thumb.JPG.81082fd3d5b7d7613ed377bf0c28d336.JPG

On the patient portal, and looking through every page, there's NOTHING about COVID vaccines.  The number at the bottom of this snip "to answer any questions from the community about Coronavirus" answers with, "This number is for ill people only" and otherwise contact your family doctor for more info.  As I mentioned above, I was at my family doctor's this morning to do my 3-month diabetic blood test.  They have no clue when they'll be giving the vaccine.  I go back next Fri. (1/22) and see the top doctor there for my diabetes followup - my Freestyle Libre should have led to terrific results.  Hopefully he'll know something then.

532499247_UMMSPortalLoginPageNotice2021_01_15.thumb.JPG.09a6ba44f043fed23f827cb83baabdc1.JPG

4 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

kicks-in in Maryland on Mon. Jan. 25.

I wonder if I can make an appointment for Jan. 25.

It's that kind of attitude that is causing the issue.  OK maybe not you but panicked people rushing in line because they HAVE to get THEIR shot.  We don't have enough health care workers to take care of the sick AND stick needles into line jumpers.  Almost every day I hear numbers like 250,000 doses have been delivered but only 38,000 have been administered.  Then in the next breath some talking head is bashing the distribution system... "We need to get more doses delivered to the health care system."   

14 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Almost every day I hear numbers like 250,000 doses have been delivered but only 38,000 have been administered.  Then in the next breath some talking head is bashing the distribution system... "We need to get more doses delivered to the health care system."   

This is where the "confusion" comes in - real time analytics to track distribution & deliveries followed by actual inoculations.  I can't imagine a system where a box of vaccines arrives at 9am and is used that same day - at least not across a whole network of public & private hospitals, pharmacies, doctors offices, and health department clinics.  Imagine if I had relied on my USPS tracking date to staff up and schedule a whole series of vaccinations.  I'd now be sitting on my hands, paying folks to sit around, and dealing with customer complaints. 

We were both put on a call list at the local clinic yesterday. Supposedly when a vial is open there is only a short time before it goes bad. Thus, they will call and line up folks for the vaccine when it begins arriving. However my wife's doctor told her to get it elsewhere if she has the opportunity. We'll just wait and see what happens.

It's a difficult situation with many moving pieces. Until there is a glut in supply, you won't see improvement in delivery to the patient. Perhaps the most challenging aspect is that state and local governments are in charge.

Honeywell has stepped in to provide leadership in South Carolina. Honeywell CEO:

"“I don’t think any one entity has all the skill sets to do this, whether it’s the states, whether it’s medical companies, whether it’s stadium owners,” he said. “Frankly, I felt that Honeywell as a fairly complex company that has a lot of tentacles all over the world and operates a lot of manufacturing, we could help in it, lend our expertise.”"