The best of the Love Forum avatars

Some Old Guy

8 hours ago, Taylor said:

To @ChrisL

This one from the LF looks a little clearer and more defined than the one you have now.  Just thought you might want to adopt this older one if it looks better.

lf-2d.jpg.88b1a62f28bf159479307f46ecfd8866.jpg 

In the image the guy actually has a head but I couldn’t format it to fit in the avatar... the original image was saved to an old PC that is long gone now so the headless rider just stuck... 

If I ever mess with my avatar I’d actually like to get that guys head back in the picture.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Yeah.  Many were really nice.  I started posting there when I bought my first bike, it was a hybrid.  I had so many questions.  Some were answered kindly, some not.

You missed Biker Billy, the grand pubah of mechanical advice. :)  That was really interesting to find oot after his death that he was on aboot every biking forum under different names.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

In the image the guy actually has a head but I couldn’t format it to fit in the avatar... the original image was saved to an old PC that is long gone now so the headless rider just stuck... 

If I ever mess with my avatar I’d actually like to get that guys head back in the picture.

Penny Farthing Bicycle Gifts & Gift Ideas | Zazzle UK

• Awesome 1

Just now, Taylor said:

I remember his pics of his dinner table.  :)

It is interesting to see the ebb and flow of posters.  I think we had a hilarious time with hackier, but then he just seemed to sour on it, even before the death of the LF, but it may have been the transition that did it. :( 

But irregardless, for all intents and purposes, I am more talking aboot ebb and flow with forum conditions held constant.  Like for instance there once was a poster named Cyclist who was aboot as addicted as me.  Then poof, gone. 

6 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I didn't have many posts there, so I don't know a lot of these people.

I also found many people to be hostile and unwelcoming.

They were brutal to noobs on the LF

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

You were a noob.  :D

i hung out in beginners and maintenance for quite awhile posting there. I read over at the love forum but didn’t start posting until I had a good idea of what to expect. I probably had more than fifty posts before I started posting in the LF. Nobody even noticed I was a noob. Several years later and hundreds of posts later Jason noticed me and thought I was a noob. The regulars filled him in. He was my least favorite poster on the LF.

Just now, Longjohn said:

They were brutal to noobs on the LF

Bicycling should have done more to prevent that.

I bought the bike, then had a million questions.  I searched for cycling forums, thought that one by a prominent cycling magazine would be helpful.  I even subscribed to the magazine.

I toughened up a bit, but then I started picking fights.  I stopped posting.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Bicycling should have done more to prevent that.

I bought the bike, then had a million questions.  I searched for cycling forums, thought that one by a prominent cycling magazine would be helpful.  I even subscribed to the magazine.

I toughened up a bit, but then I started picking fights.  I stopped posting.

They just really lost interest in it.  Back when the Internet was new I think it probably got more attention.  Once it became a backwater, it seemed to be cast adrift.

Just now, Square Wheels said:

Can you turn it into a transparent png?   That would show up best in the various themes.  I can later, I have photoshop on my PC upstairs.

Probably on my photo editor, but it might take a while to figure out.  Sometimes they look good if you just add the same coloration of the areas close to the fill-ins.  So if it is gray, I just sample the color near the edge and insert it on the sides.  I'll give it a try, but it might be a little later before I can get to it.  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Probably on my photo editor, but it might take a while to figure out.  Sometimes they look good if you just add the same coloration of the areas close to the fill-ins.  So if it is gray, I just sample the color near the edge and insert it on the sides.  I'll give it a try, but it might be a little later before I can get to it.  

If I miss the post with the new pic, send me a PM.